What kind of liquor do you buy on the islands?

Seeya2352

Sorry. Hopefully not hijacking the thread.

What happens when you buy alcohol at a port? I know you can’t drink it on the boat but then when you get back to the home port, what must you do?

It’s be requested I pick up some Hennessy white if I find it when we cruise in March.

But will be lost at what the procedure is...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When you board they keep it, and return to you last night of the cruise. If you wan to drink on-board they will request the corkage fee.

When you board they keep it, and return to you last night of the cruise. If you wan to drink on-board they will request the corkage fee.

Liquor must be handed over when boarding. There is no such thing as paying a corkage fee for LIQUOR.

bosco

Some stores, particularly in St Thomas deliver directly to the ship - they take your cabin number - and the ship stores it and delivers it to your cabin the night before disembarking. They do the same if you purchase liquor in an onboard shop. If you carry it back to the ship - they take as you reboard and return night prior to disembarkation.

Tip about this. We did this once with no problem. The second time, the store accidentally gave us the wrong kind of Famous Grouse, and it's one we don't like. Didn't discover it until the last day of the cruise when our bottles were returned to our stateroom. So, just be EXTRA sure the right bottles are being packaged up for you.

Another tip: Shop around. In St. Maarten, we got a Johnnie Walker four bottle sample pack as a gift for someone. It was MUCH cheaper in one shop than another St. Maarten liquor store (also cheaper than on board ship, which seemed like a decent deal at first). So for unique things, it can pay to shop around.

Final tip: We bring 2 gal. ziploc bags. We wrap the bottles in clothes and then slip them in to ziplocs. Never had a problem, but the ziploc would at least help prevent a major spill in our suitcase.

Does that happen with all liqueurs? I have a bottle of unopened Sheridan’s that I’ve had for over a year.

Golly we keep our Sheridan for years and years sometime. We certainly do not finish it in 3 months after we open it. As for what we buy to bring home, because of the restrictions on what we can now bring on the plane, we rarely buy mush of anything, but if we see a really good deal we can always find room in our luggage for a couple of bottles. We do not use bubble wrap, not enough room in the luggage, we do use some of our heavy clothes and always put the bottle or bottles in plastic sleeves. It helps if the suitcase is very full, keeps things from rolling around.

Edited by newmexicoNita

Surprisingly I have bought shot bottles of Patron and the last cruise Curaçao. Each has a double shot. I believe I have bought some rum shot bottles also. All on different cruises and cruise lines. Never has one bottle been confiscated. Any guess why?

Surprisingly I found Blantons in St. Kitts. A fine Kentucky bourbon, that is bottled about 250 miles from where I live. You can never find it at home. I messed upp and only got one bottle, I should have gotten four.

I buy Blantons on a regular basis at my Sam's Club here in Paducah. Have also seen it in Lexington at Sam's Club and Trader Joe's.

In Grand Cayman I highly recommend visiting Cayman Spirits Co. We took their tour and then were able to taste all of their liquors (various rums, vodka, and a couple other liquors). Their 7 Fathoms Rum is awesome. Also loved their banana flavored rum which we’ve never seen back home.

Surprisingly I found Blantons in St. Kitts. A fine Kentucky bourbon, that is bottled about 250 miles from where I live. You can never find it at home. I messed upp and only got one bottle, I should have gotten four.

I know, I bought one in Saint Maarten and should have gotten 8 (four for each of us), would have had my Christmas shopping done!

Tip about this. We did this once with no problem. The second time, the store accidentally gave us the wrong kind of Famous Grouse, and it's one we don't like. Didn't discover it until the last day of the cruise when our bottles were returned to our stateroom. So, just be EXTRA sure the right bottles are being packaged up for you.

Another tip: Shop around. In St. Maarten, we got a Johnnie Walker four bottle sample pack as a gift for someone. It was MUCH cheaper in one shop than another St. Maarten liquor store (also cheaper than on board ship, which seemed like a decent deal at first). So for unique things, it can pay to shop around.

Final tip: We bring 2 gal. ziploc bags. We wrap the bottles in clothes and then slip them in to ziplocs. Never had a problem, but the ziploc would at least help prevent a major spill in our suitcase.

I like your idea about using the large zip lock bags.

Rum Jumbie ... but not sure about those islands. We bought it in St. Maarten.

Jumbie is only sold in St Maarten. Very rarely will you see it anywhere else . Our daughter can't wait till we sail there again to bring home more.

Cruzan rum is pretty good too (free tasting stand in St Thomas, but give a tip)

Grand Cayman is expensive for most things. Not a cheap island.

Nassau ok pricing

Jamaica also not very cheap, and a lot of time spent avoiding drug dealers.

Puerto Rico, best prices right at the port.

Safe sailing

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Tortuga Rum from Grand Cayman!

Another vote for Tortuga Rum! We got the spiced version it was fantastic. They also have vanilla which was also a favorite I saw a bunch of people taste and buy. There are another two flavors, coconut and regular. They let you taste all the flavors!

This was in Nassau Bahamas just this December 2017.