Booking hotels

apdaisy

I am a planner and start looking at options as soon as the cruise is booked (has always been less than a year out for us). Sometimes there are other events going on that will cause a rooms to be more expensive or harder to find if you wait too long. I have been able to get room rates lowered after reserving if a better rate/sale became available.

I actually booked the hotel before I booked the cruise which was about 10 months prior to the cruise. We're cruising out of NOLA one of the weekends of the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival so rates are high and rooms are limited. I've since rebooked the hotel at a lower rate and will continue to check rates and rebook if it goes down.

As soon as I can.

Usually I book a room that I can cancel. Then, as time goes on and the stay gets closer I'll monitor how fast the hotel is filling up and what the prices are doing. Eventually, I'll change the reservation over to a cheaper pay now, no cancellation reservation.

In order to ensure I have a room for the night before our cruise I book as early as I can- 8-10 mos in advance if I can. We usually use Marriott hotels and those only allow booking 1 year in advance online.

As others have said, I don't prepay so I can always change/cancel as needed, but at least I'm sure I have a room that way.

Hotels are easy book as far out as you can. If you find a better deal just cancel that is if you use hotel sites. I don’t recommend prepaid no refund sites for this type

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is my approach too. And, probably like many others on this site, planning is half the fun, so I check and recheck often. I might find out about a hotel I hadn't considered, or I get an email about a discount code etc. As long as you don't have to pay ahead, you could theoretically hold several reservations at a time though I haven't personally done that.

I am a planner and start looking at options as soon as the cruise is booked (has always been less than a year out for us). Sometimes there are other events going on that will cause a rooms to be more expensive or harder to find if you wait too long. I have been able to get room rates lowered after reserving if a better rate/sale became available.

Me too (y)

It's also rare that a hotel reservation can't be cancelled up until a couple of days before the stay so why not book and know your have somewhere convenient to sleep :) (we rarely reserve with a non-refundable rate if it's more than a week or 2 before the trip.)

We like to use AirBnB or VRBO when we travel, and always go a few days before a cruise to enjoy the city. This last time we sailed out of Ft. Lauderdale on Saturday, we went to Miami on Monday and spent the week there. Usually we book our AirBnB or VRBO (or hotel, if we go that route) as soon as we book the cruise.