Tour boat carrying cruisers sinks in Mexico

Glad everyone is safe! But for myself after my recent Snuba excursion with Royal in St Kitts - I am hesitant to do any water based excursions. The oxygen tank I was sharing with my other half ran out whilst we were about 5m under water, the after care we had from the tour excursion operator caused a panic attack once on board the ship. I did question with the excursion manager how often they vett the operators they use, to which they said they are constantly reviewed. Very scary to think it could have easily gone very wrong!

I thought the same thing. Why would you bring your passport on a diving excursion? Leave it in the safe in your stateroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why? What if something happens and your ride breaks down going back to the ship and you miss it? Good luck getting home without a passport...

Why? What if something happens and your ride breaks down going back to the ship and you miss it? Good luck getting home without a passport...

If you do not make it back to the ship, the staff will go into your cabin and give whatever you have in the safe to the port agent.

If you do not make it back to the ship, the staff will go into your cabin and give whatever you have in the safe to the port agent.

This. Also the passport card, while convenient and waterproof, won't work if you have to fly back into the U.S. It is only for land and sea entry from certain countries. I usually take my passport card with me off the ship and leave my passport book in the safe. The passport card gets me on domestic flights as well as on and off the ship - my entire trip - so it's worth having nonetheless.

Makes me want to just walk around the shopping areas. Forget the excursions. All the ships need to look into these things more closely instead of being in a hurry to make money. People are more important than money.

Didn't the article say that it was a private not ship excursion?

Makes you want to think twice about taking ship excursions in Mexico.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Forums mobile app

Exactly!! Even just walking around shopping can be a risky pursuit in some areas. I'm getting frustrated with the lack of caution with tours there. Awhile back, we had a very bad accident on a tour in PV and it was the fault of the cruise line's contracted tour company. Definitely disappointing. I feel sorry for those that were on this tour and lost their cell phones, money, passports, personal belongings, dive equipment, etc. Of course, it's no where near as bad as it could have been, thank God.

I thought the same thing. Why would you bring your passport on a diving excursion? Leave it in the safe in your stateroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You need it in Mexico when going on excursions. We were warned at just about every Mexican port we got off at to bring it but I thought we really didn't need it and didn't bring it. Almost couldn't get back on the ship. This is one country you want to bring it with you because if something happens and you need to fly to the next port or to home, it's required as ID.

Nope it won't...

What is weird, as an experienced diver, I'm shocked they just didn't get their gear strapped on. It doesn't take long at all. Of course I don't know what exactly was going on but that certainly would have been my first reaction,

As a diver myself that is exactly what I thought. That would be the first thing I would do also or at least try to take the bc and the tank. Glad they are all safe.

Another reason not to bring your passport off the ship...

[/font][/color]

i would *always* carry my passport with me in another country, but keep a copy of the passport in a safe place in my room. When traveling in Europe, I was told that if you don't have a proper passport on you and you get stopped for ID, a paper copy of your passport would not suffice. So I made a couple of paper copies i put in various places. Not sure if this is the same in Mexico....