China: Visa vs No Visa

zlato

Wife and I are booked on 30 day trip to Japan which includes two day stop in Shanghai. MY TA and an agent from the HA tour desk tell me that if the day trips in Shanghai are booked with HA that no visas are required; HOWEVER,

---The HA brochure and today's posted HA itinerary still indicate that visas are required

--- Although requested more than once, HA has not sent any waiver of the visa requirement in print!

--- Even if no visa is required during HA tours, what would happen if one of us would require a visit to a hospital in

Shanghai requiring an extended stay. Although this is hopefully unlikely, what documents, other than

passports would be required?

We tend to be cautious travelers and will probably obtain visas; however, would appreciate any advice.

If you were hospitalized or late for the ship, etc, it could be a serious hassle dealing with not having the visa.

However, when we have gotten our China visas, we had to bring an itinerary page which they looked at and decided what exactly we needed, so you might have to convince them that you could actually need a visa in case of emergency......... This sounds like a hassle, which brings us back to the beginning.

I would suggest phoning the Consulate and explaining your point of view and inquiring what they suggest. (My understanding that you have 72 hours in Shanghai without a visa at all, no matter what you are doing.)

Wife and I are booked on 30 day trip to Japan which includes two day stop in Shanghai. MY TA and an agent from the HA tour desk tell me that if the day trips in Shanghai are booked with HA that no visas are required; HOWEVER,

---The HA brochure and today's posted HA itinerary still indicate that visas are required

--- Although requested more than once, HA has not sent any waiver of the visa requirement in print!

--- Even if no visa is required during HA tours, what would happen if one of us would require a visit to a hospital in

Shanghai requiring an extended stay. Although this is hopefully unlikely, what documents, other than

We tend to be cautious travelers and will probably obtain visas; however, would appreciate any advice.

We are on the 2018 Grand Asia, and I was following the 2017 Grand Asia Roll Call, which is most informative regarding visas. It is my understanding that visas are required, but I may have misunderstood. Visas are not required in Russia if we take a HAL or, I think, a Russian government sponsored tour, but I think China does require it. You might want to read some of the posts on the 2017 Grand Asia, searching for China visas.

Let us know what you find. I do know that the visas take a couple of weeks to get and must be carefully prepared. If you need one don't leave it until the last minute. You can also expect to pay around $550 for two visas.

You could have 172 hrs visa free or 72 hours..depends on the overall itinerary. I’ve attached a link to China travel from embassy. You of course can google it as well. Nothing as far as visa’s are simple in China. We went ahead and purchased a 10yr multiple entry visitor L visa since we have and or plan to travel China numerous times.

https://www.travelchinaguide.com/embassy/visa/free-transit-144hour.htm

Call the appropriate China consulate for your country and area. They know the answer to your question, as opposed to opinion and speculation on any Internet discussion forum.

You will get many different answers to the question. However, I would certainly hate to pay the price of a cruise and then find out I was not able to get off in China. The Chinese government is notorious for changing requirements without advanced warning. So go ahead an bite the bullet and get a visa then you don't have to worry. Also look around there are more reasonable visa services than those offered by the cruise line.

Looking into this right now too - 10 year visa is $140. And answers to all those other questions are all over the place - even "official" ones from a local China consulate. Agree, do this yourself if you can and save the money. It is not that hard. China official website provides all the forms and information - step by step.

What I miss is it appears China no longer issues same-day visas at the LA Consulate - we used to drive down, drop off our documents, have a nice lunch and then pick them up the same day. Now they claim there must be extraordinary circumstances first and their surcharge "expedited" visas still take 2-3 days. However, if one does not live near a consulate, this greatly complicates things. Then I suspect one is stuck using an agency service. There did not appear to be any provisions for visa return by mail, only "pick-up" in person. That too may be another change pending.

FYI: The China 144 hour - multi-port entry exit - visa exemption - not official:

https://www.travelchinaguide.com/embassy/visa/free-transit-144hour.htm

This sounds like they just might want to accommodate cruise passengers - or it may be out of date information as we speak. Need to follow up on this.

Info about the special Shanghai entry visa exemption option:

question1.gif 2. What should I do if my stay is longer than 15 days due to circumstances beyond my control?

answer.gif If you have to stay for more than 15 days, you need to take relevant proof and a letter from the travel agency to the local exit and entry administration to apply for a normal visa.

question1.gif 3. Must I return to the ship to spend the night or can I stay in a downtown hotel?

answer.gif Either is fine. When you register at the hotel, your passport and a tour member name list stamped with entry record are required.

question1.gif 4. Who should I contact if I want to learn more about this policy?

answer.gif You can contact Shanghai General Station of Immigration Inspection at 086-021-31366000 or Pujiang Immigration Inspection at 086-021-31366700.

Visas are not required in Russia if we take a HAL or, I think, a Russian government sponsored tour, but I think China does require it. You might want to read some of the posts on the 2017 Grand Asia, searching for China visas.

Unless things have changed recently, thats not true for Russian Visas. Your 'Tourist Visa' is acquired by HAL or the private tour company on your behalf. These differ greatly from a standard visa, acquired on your own. For example, with a standard visa, you can get off the ship and wander around to your hearts content. But on the Tourist Visa, you have to be on a tour at all times.

Cheers,

Edited by drowelf
Add Russia

We are in the same situation, and we got the visa.

There are services that can get this visa for you if you do not live near a consulate.

If you do this, make sure you understand the photo requirements for the visa, they are not the same as a regular passport photo and it may be rejected if it is not up to specs.

It does that several days to receive your visa, so give yourself time to get it.

Have a good cruise.

We are in the same situation, and we got the visa.

There are services that can get this visa for you if you do not live near a consulate.

If you do this, make sure you understand the photo requirements for the visa, they are not the same as a regular passport photo and it may be rejected if it is not up to specs.

It does that several days to receive your visa, so give yourself time to get it.

Have a good cruise.

Those are some requirements -- and must be less than 6 months old so no extra passport photos allowed - there goes another expense that makes trying for the 144 hour Visa Exemption sound like a better deal:

https://www.visaforchina.org/SGP_EN/upload/Image/mrtp/291403.jpg

And I starting to understand this IN THEORY ONLY ........ less than 15 hours in a Chinese port, one can get a transit visa exemption for a cruise ship stop since one has proof of departure. Then get a longer visa exemption for the two-day Beijing stay - and then renew the 15 hour visa exemption in each port?

Perhaps I should not even be trying to figure this out -- and it might all change anyway, but it looks like China is starting to accommodate the cruise ship experience, not just the air and hotel traveler.