CPAP machine

MJB1437

I started the thread because of comments like yours. It is nice to comment on the good points but when so much goes wrong, it becomes hard to see things in a positive light. As for my credibility, you are in no position to judge as you weren't there, at least I am consistent and there is no one coming on to say I was there and it didn't happen (wow wouldn't that be creepy, almost there though with your comments).

I think perhaps you missed the point of fouremco's post.

My experience may be at odds but it happened and I took a video of the faulty cord but don't know how to post it here. I have as you say posted three times but as I have only cruised with Celebrity once, I don't believe that is unusual. If my experience was bad, do you expect me to pretty it up or would you prefer me to just shut up and not relate my experiences? Seems pretty biased to me. Yes I did suggest I may start my own bellyaching thread but that was more of a sarcastic comment to others complaining about people bellyaching. If it was bad then it was bad, I am not going to just say it was good just because you don't want to hear it!

Wow did anything go right on your cruise?

Wow that is a long time on Cpap, I have been on it for about 5 years and have an S8, with that I have to use a separate heated hose to prevent rain out and that is why just an extension lead is not enough. What most people don't realise is that it comes under the heading of essential medical equipment and is exempt from a lot of rules when travelling. I believe it doesn't even count as hand luggage on a plane when carried on so you can take an extra bag but I have never tried this. A cruise line would also be on a sticky wicket if they tried to make it hard for you to use this equipment.

Correct, it does not count as airline hand luggage. I have never had a concern in this regard. Just replaced my old S8 with the new one, which is equipped with wifi in order to send status updates to the supplier and have them make any required adjustments!!

• 2 months later...

If you email the dietary coordinator of the cruise line with your request for distilled water for your C-Pap machine it will be in your cabin. Princess does not charge for this so maybe other lines don’t either.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you email the dietary coordinator of the cruise line with your request for distilled water for your C-Pap machine it will be in your cabin. Princess does not charge for this so maybe other lines don’t either.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No charge from Celebrity or Princess for distilled water.

My experience is similar to most of the posters. I notify the Special Needs folks and find the distilled water and extension cord in my room when we arrived. I am sorry that the OP's experience was not acceptable.

On our last cruise, our attendent aske dwhat side of the bed I slept on and then taped the cord to reduce the chance of tripping on the cord.

I have found Celebrity to be pretty CPAP friendly.

• 3 weeks later...

No such luck for us on recent Celebrity cruise from Sydney: Mypartner uses a CPAP machine and we had requestedan extension cord and some water beforehand through Special Needs. Upon arrival on the ship, there was nothing here so we askedour room attendant for it and even tipped her which is highly unusual in Australia- we actually noticed that we were amongst the few guests who ever tipped on the entire cruise (and suspect that these few were Americans where tipping is pretty much a must do).

Even though, later that evening the cord and a bottle of water had just been dumped in the room- no neat fixing or taping on the floor etc. We actually ended up stumbling over the cord all the time during our cruise. Not a good experience I must say.

It's normal that they just put the cord and bottle of water in your cabin. Then you lay the cord across the floor to the side of the bed you will be sleeping on...and sometimes you just have to ask your cabin attendant to tape it down.

Did you ask your cabin attendant to tape it down?

This will be our first cruise with a CPAP, actually we are CPAP shopping tonight :)

I think DH was told by the respiralogist that the newer machines don't require water? We have no experience in this area. If anyone has suggestions for models/features, it is appreciated!!

This will be our first cruise with a CPAP, actually we are CPAP shopping tonight :)

I think DH was told by the respiralogist that the newer machines don't require water? We have no experience in this area. If anyone has suggestions for models/features, it is appreciated!!

You really should look at: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/

If your respiralogist said that the new machines don't require water...I'd find another respiralogist....seriously. I would join and post your situation on the referenced forum for some excellent advice from knowledgeable folks. It's not a discussion for this forum.

I think the operative word here is that the newer machines do not "require" water. The age of the machine has nothing to do with the need, or not, of a humidifier. CPAP added humidity is a item that that is not needed, but usually used if the bedroom humidity is too low (less than say 50%). I live in the Houston area and I only use the humidifier about 3-4 months a year, the rest of the time I replace the humidifier with the machine's compatible humidifier tank bypass to reduce the footprint of the machine. As for cruise ship travel in general, you never know what humidity to expect in your cabin, but it does vary considerably.

IMO, I would never buy a CPAP machine without a humidifier. They do not cost much additional and in many cases can be removed when not needed. For cruise travel, I would never leave home without it, just no way to know what to expect in your cabin for even temperature not to mention humidity.

I think the operative word here is that the newer machines do not "require" water. The age of the machine has nothing to do with the need, or not, of a humidifier. CPAP added humidity is a item that that is not needed, but usually used if the bedroom humidity is too low (less than say 50%). I live in the Houston area and I only use the humidifier about 3-4 months a year, the rest of the time I replace the humidifier with the machine's compatible humidifier tank bypass to reduce the footprint of the machine. As for cruise ship travel in general, you never know what humidity to expect in your cabin, but it does vary considerably.

IMO, I would never buy a CPAP machine without a humidifier. They do not cost much additional and in many cases can be removed when not needed. For cruise travel, I would never leave home without it, just no way to know what to expect in your cabin for even temperature not to mention humidity.

Thanks! This is all new to us. I think DH was told that his dry mouth is a function of this mouth breathing. He never had dry mouth before sleep apnea came along. That is why they've recommended a nose model to him, not a mouth-model. I really don't know a lot but I guess I will find out tonight.

I'm just excited, that the rest of us will be able to sleep soundly on this cruise. It's taken a few years to convince DH that he needed the machine.

That's a better statement than the one I made.....I should have said, the newer machines don't REQUIRE water to run, but users, in many, if not most, situations find that adding humidification significantly helps using the machines. I would not recommend that anyone purchase an xPAP without humidification, especially if one travels (which is probably a very safe assumption if we're talking about this here). Will a CPAP work without water, yes. Will you want to use that CPAP without water....that's the real question.

I have been using a CPAP for about 8 or 9 years. I travel with it all the time. I used distilled water for about 1 month and decided tap water would be fine. Switched to tap water and have had no problems, although the mineral content in everyone's water might be significantly different. Yes, the manual says that you should use distilled, but using tap water for a week on a cruise, hotel, etc. will have no effects of scaling, etc.

I travel with my own extension cord and small power strip. Never an issue bringing both on board. I plug it in across the floor during the night and unplug it in the morning. I put the cord under the bed to keep it out of the way.

Yes, the manual says that you should use distilled, but using tap water for a week on a cruise, hotel, etc. will have no effects of scaling, etc.

I travel with my own extension cord and small power strip. Never an issue bringing both on board. I plug it in across the floor during the night and unplug it in the morning. I put the cord under the bed to keep it out of the way.

It's suggested that if you use plain bottled water (the cheapest one you can find without any helpful added minerals), if you don't have distilled....just to avoid breathing any chemicals that are added to normal tap water (eg. chlorine). I agree that the use of tap water isn't going to kill you or break anything....but bottled water is generally better for this use.

Celebrity bans extension cords, however I also carry one and have never been questioned about it....because I sometimes need it in a hotel before or after the cruise. I do not take a power strip which can actually be dangerous on a ship's power system, but I take a standard, cheap, 3 way outlet from the local hardware store which is safer.

Celebrity has been known to confiscate both extension cords and power strips (as their written rules mention), so it is best to have Celebrity provide them then you are set to go.

Having said that, during our last Silhouette cruise I had an extension cord packed just incase it was needed in the pre-cruise hotel, with no intention of using it on board (already prearranged with Celebrity's Special Needs Group). To make sure that my luggage was not held up somewhere deep in the ship because security spotted the extension cord in my checked bag, I just put it in our carry on bag and if they found it they could keep it. As it turned out I did not need it in the hotel room (no surprise) and security paid no attention to it in my carry on bag (I made no attempt to hide it). So in the end, the extension cord made the round trip from/to Houston and it was never used.

I have always requested a cord and water via Special Needs, but I have only rarely found the cord and water in my cabin upon embarkation. These items have always been provided by the cabin attendant upon request.

Re: "taping down the cord" - I prefer to unplug it every day and coil the cord under the bed until it is needed at night. This is a quick & easy process for me and eliminates any hazard of tripping on the cord.

Just thought I would report back ... CPAP shopping was fun :(

Everyone seems to offer a basic, moderate, and high option - basic having no technology or reporting functions and high - offering wifi connectivity and app interaction. All models we looked at have removing humidifiers.

That being said, Phillips has a cute (?) little travel option now which does not have a humidifier. Apparently, DH's script has him on the high-tech loaner for a month, so the doctor can evaluate, then after the 30 days, he can buy whatever he wants.

A question to anyone who travels with United. I just bought the basic economy fair off expedia, which limits us to no carryons (no access to bin space) and only one personal item which has to fit under the seat.

Will the CPAP count as his personal item, or do you think he'd be allowed both a backpack and the CPAP?

"Will the CPAP count as his personal item, or do you think he'd be allowed both a backpack and the CPAP?"

No CPAP, and similar devices, are considered as medical equipment by the FAA and are not counted as a carry on item. When traveling with less restrictive carry on rules, be sure to pack the CPAP in its own case separate from any standard carry on luggage otherwise a flight attendant may mistakenly crap it and gate check it, and remember that it will not count as a carry on. Never let your CPAP machine leave your possession. I have a red medical ID tag on my CPAP bag so it is easily identified by all including TSA. You never want to lose your CPAP when traveling especially on a cruise where it will be very difficult, if not impossible, to replace on short notice.

Edited by sptrout

Just thought I would report back ... CPAP shopping was fun :(

Everyone seems to offer a basic, moderate, and high option - basic having no technology or reporting functions and high - offering wifi connectivity and app interaction. All models we looked at have removing humidifiers.

That being said, Phillips has a cute (?) little travel option now which does not have a humidifier. Apparently, DH's script has him on the high-tech loaner for a month, so the doctor can evaluate, then after the 30 days, he can buy whatever he wants.

When it comes a buying CPAP machine be careful and not just go with the least expensive model unless you have no choice. You will want what is known as a "full data" capable unit so you can monitor your therapy as time passes. IMO, you should also only consider an APAP machine, which is much more capable that a plain CPAP machine and are usually a waste of money.

You will also want a unit that is fully compatible with a free software program called "Sleepyhead". This software will allow a user to see all the data that a full data machine records each night and presents it in a very user friendly format. You will be surprised at all the data collected, right down to displaying each breath that you take all night long and many other important information such as air leaks.

In addition to the Apnea Board mentioned earlier, I would also recommend that you join cpaptalk.com. By joining and reading these Boards you will gain a wealth of information. You will soon know more than your doctor, which sadly is not saying much when it comes to SA therapy.

These two Boards are very different. Apnea Board is a non-profit ran Board and has some very restrictive posting rules. Much more restrictive than CC for example. However, they do provide a lot of information, just be sure to read the rules before posting.

cpaptalk.com is owned by an online seller called cpap.com (which has a brick and mortar store here in the Houston area by the same name). Oddly, their Board is almost wide open even allowing links to competitive cpap seller sites. Since cpaptalk is just barely monitored, expect some unfiltered advice. Of the two, I like cpaptalk the best, but many people can get offended by sharp advice, but there are true experts that post on this site dailey. I am also a member of the Apnea Board and can recommend it, just be careful when including any links within your posts.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/index.php

http://www.cpaptalk.com/CPAP-Sleep-Apnea-Forum.html

When we travel, my husband uses the small travel cpap Machine that you mentioned, and it has been wonderful for him, especially on a cruise with such a small side table. Also, we always email celebrity before the cruise and have never walked in the room without having the extension cord taped onto the floor for us. If your attendant has not done this, just ask so that it is safe for you to walk especially to the Bathroom at night. And while

I been taking my cpap for years on Celebrity. Distilled water always provided. The cord that comes with my cpap actually has the length to make it to the outlets by the desk on S class ships. I put the cpap on that little coffee table. So I don't need the provided extension cord. In the morning soon after I wake, I unplug it/empty the reservoir and put it in a shopping bag (similar to those Celebrity bags provided only a little larger). Then just leave it out of the way between the coach and sliding door. Does not take me long to set it back up when ready for bed in the evening.

Also thanks for those links. Since I recently converted to medicare I been having all kind issues with the durable medical company the handles my supplies. Those forms may help me a lot.