My RC TA recommended a really weird cabin set-up

gwennw

I am traveling with my husband and 2 kids (11 and 13) on the Mariner, 7 night Eastern Carribean, on 4/2/06. We wanted 2 cabins, preferably connected. Our RC rep suggested cabins 9376 and 9381 which is a Cat. D1 connected to a Cat. L interior stateroom! The cabins are as far aft as you can get without facing the back of the ship. I cannot find anyone who has stayed in this configuration, and cannot find this setup on any other deck other than 9. Do you think I should take these rooms? I keep wondering why they haven't been snapped up already. Have I found a well-kept Mariner cabin secret or am I being suckered into a crappy cabin arrangement?:confused:

Gwen, this is a PRIMO cabin pair! People claw each other's eyes out to get it. GRAB!

(you get a balcony cabin, the kids are in an adjoining cabin and under your careful supervision, you don't have to worry about them and the safety of their own unsupervised balcony, and THEIR cabin costs less, and you get TWO bathrooms.)

I don't think you have been given bad advice by your TA. Actually just the opposite, that "set up" is one that most families would love. It gives them 2 cabins that connect with the benefit of having the inside cabin at a lower cost compared to the higher cost of two D1's that connect.

So its a win-win for you, 2 cabins at a nicer price. ;) Since there is only 1 or 2 configurations of this, consider yourself lucky to get it. Enjoy!!

Have fun planning and enjoy your cruise!!! :D

Sorry for thread HIjack - but just noticed you must be a neighbor. Hi Linda! Great to see another Surpriser on these boards! My DH and I love to cruise!

HELLO! Hi neighbor!! I'll be darn, never thought I'd see another poster from Surprise! :D We're in AZ Traditions. We also love cruising....love Royal Caribbean!!

Back to the OP......did you take these great cabins?????? :D

You will have to do a ton of walking to get back and forth from your cabin but I agree with everyone else that your cabin assignment seems to be the best choice for your situation. I had no idea these adjoining cabins existed and actually would even be perfect for our family (although we didn't plan on sailing the Mariner again...we were looking at the Jewel). Its great that you have the connection but you can enjoy the balcony without worrying about them having one.

Thanks everyone! I booked that room configuration based on your responses. I am so excited about this room set-up now. I found 2 rooms like this on the Freedom which I will try to book in 2007, assuming we like the rooms when we sail. Thanks again everyone..you all are awesome! I would still love to hear from someone who stayed in one of these configurations. Anyone out there with a little review?;)

Gwennw-We always get this configuration when traveling on Voyager class ships!

So glad you booked it! I wish they had them on all class ships. We are on the Serenade in April and had hoped we could find this set up but couldn’t.

What you are paying for 3rd and 4th passenger in your room is basically the same as the interior room and you get the extra bathroom, tv, the kids get their

own beds, space and drawers.

You will not want anything else once you have these rooms!

Any questions, just ask.

Hi,

My brother and family stayed in these rooms on the Mariner in 2004. I don't have any other info or photos, however they talked about how much they enjoyed the staterooms. They loved the fact that their children were close by, and being fitness freaks, they didn't mind the walk. My DH and I + children stayed one deck above in two non-connecting staterooms in the aft and didn't mind the walk.

One drawback about these staterooms is the door between your rooms. It either has to stay locked or unlocked for the entire cruise. Your steward will ask you wish you prefer and of course, you want it unlocked. For that reason, even though you may have privacy from your children, you can be interrupted at anytime (as what happened with my brother and wife.) :eek: You may want to set up a system of "knocking and waiting for a response before entering", with your children.:D

This is my 2000 post and will be my last until my DH let's me book a another cruise. Goodbye! :(

I looked at your choices and I have to agree - THIS IS A REALLY GOOD SET UP!

1) Aft on the ship

2) Corner balcony

3) inside room that

a) costs less

B) is adjoined

It's going to be like having a mini suite!

DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!!

HELLO! Hi neighbor!! I'll be darn, never thought I'd see another poster from Surprise! :D We're in AZ Traditions. We also love cruising....love Royal Caribbean!!

Back to the OP......did you take these great cabins?????? :D

We are in Coyote Lakes. We love to cruise as well! Still trying different lines to find our favorite! Looking (way in advance) for a family reuinion cruise to Alaska, and many of the family member will have children. These cabins sound ideal.

Does anyone know if RCI has an age minimum in their cabins? (ie Carnival is 21) Is this age requirement waived if you have a cabin ajoining adults next door?

We've stayed in those cabins several times on various RCCL ships and your TA is correct. It will be a great set up for you. We loved having the balcony and the fact that we didn't have to pay anymore for connecting rooms because the other one for the kids didn't have a balcony. Usually if a room is connecting you'll have two balconies and that can run into money and since our kids don't use the balcony that's a waste of extra cash for nothing. This way you get the best of both worlds....kids nearby and not having to spend the extra for the convenience of connecting rooms.

Yes, you do have a further walk but the pros for us outweighed the cons. I figured I'd burn off more calories from what I ate!!!;) so if you look at it in that manner that also can be a pro. :D

Glad to hear you booked those rooms. You're going to love them and want that layout on all the ships from RCCL that offer it.

Happy cruising.

We've stayed in those cabins several times on various RCCL ships and your TA is correct. It will be a great set up for you. We loved having the balcony and the fact that we didn't have to pay anymore for connecting rooms because the other one for the kids didn't have a balcony. Usually if a room is connecting you'll have two balconies and that can run into money and since our kids don't use the balcony that's a waste of extra cash for nothing. This way you get the best of both worlds....kids nearby and not having to spend the extra for the convenience of connecting rooms.

Yes, you do have a further walk but the pros for us outweighed the cons. I figured I'd burn off more calories from what I ate!!!;) so if you look at it in that manner that also can be a pro. :D

Glad to hear you booked those rooms. You're going to love them and want that layout on all the ships from RCCL that offer it.

Happy cruising.

We are in Coyote Lakes. We love to cruise as well! Still trying different lines to find our favorite! Looking (way in advance) for a family reunion cruise to Alaska, and many of the family member will have children. These cabins sound ideal.

Does anyone know if RCI has an age minimum in their cabins? (ie Carnival is 21) Is this age requirement waived if you have a cabin adjoining adults next door?

HI TWO NEIGHBOURS.....I Live in Arrowhead not too far from both of you...we too love to cruise...

From what I can see, it looks like the Freedom and the Voyager class are the only ships to have this D1 stateroom connected to an interior stateroom set-up. So far, the maximum numbers of these rooms I have seen is 4 on a ship, most only have 2 of these per ship! The more I hear about it, the more surprised I am that I got it for a Spring Break cruise only 6 months in advance! I will take plenty of photos and write a review when I get back!

HI TWO NEIGHBOURS.....I Live in Arrowhead not too far from both of you...we too love to cruise...

Nice to meet you Sebritish! I see you sailed quite a few lines. I should talk to you to find out about your fav.

Gwennw - do you know the answer to my question about age limit for the connecting room? My kids are all over 21 so no prob for us, but we've got families with 3 kids oldest 14 - would they be able to use the connecting room?

What about under 12 (not that I would necessarily advise - just want to know if anyone knows the rules?)

Archived