Caribbean Princess - Guarantee Stateroom!

arijsky

Hi, All -

I'm posting this thread for those out there who have booked, or may be considering booking, a guarantee cabin. We booked a BF guarantee for the February 16 sailing of Caribbean Princess while onboard Ruby last year. We're now down to 23 days out and no cabin assignment as of yet. I thought it might be helpful for readers (and therapeutic for me!) to provide an occasional update on our status. I'd also welcome anyone to post their own experiences with guarantee cabins. Thanks, and looking forward to the conversation!

- Ari Sky

We've done guarantee cabins on all but a couple Princess cruises. Most of the time we get the assignment within two days of sailing. Sometimes we are in the departure city before getting it. Occasionally we will receive a cabin assignment a few months ahead of time but that is really rare.

Only twice have we not been upgraded to a better cabin. That's out of almost 60 cruises. Sometimes it's in a better location and sometimes it's a jump from an inside to a balcony. We don't care where our cabin is on the ship so guarantees work great for us.

Looks like people are saying either at the dock or a few days out.

That seems to be the consensus. I’m posting updates to keep the thread fresh and to provide a frame of reference for others with guarantee bookings.

We almost always book guaranteed cabins and have never been disappointed. On 90 % of our cruises, we've been given upgrades to what we booked. We've been given a cabin anywhere from right after booking to the day of embarkation. So, I wouldn't worry.

We almost always book guaranteed cabins and have never been disappointed. On 90 % of our cruises, we've been given upgrades to what we booked. We've been given a cabin anywhere from right after booking to the day of embarkation. So, I wouldn't worry.

I’m not worried so much as in suspense. Not even an upgrade offer yet. I’m just very curious as to where we’ll land. Guess I’ll know for sure in no more than 20 days!

I’m not worried so much as in suspense. Not even an upgrade offer yet. I’m just very curious as to where we’ll land. Guess I’ll know for sure in no more than 20 days!

My biggest concern is the weather. We can't fly out until the night before. If we have bad weather in Upstate NY we could be in trouble...

My biggest concern is the weather. We can't fly out until the night before. If we have bad weather in Upstate NY we could be in trouble...

And there’s that, too. I always end up camping out on weather.com for their 15 day outlook. They’re up to February 10 now.

We booked a mini-suite GTY on the Ruby and got the cabin assignment within 2 days of making final payment. We're happy with the cabin, although it was not an upgrade from the original GTY category we booked.

Question... does Princess ever CHANGE the cabin number once a GTY cabin assignment has been made?

~Denise

If you receive an upgrade it won't be an "offer". The change will automagically show up in your cruise personalizer. Sometimes people are unhappy because they booked exactly the cabin they wanted and when they arrive find that they were "upgraded" to a different cabin. What Princess considers an upgrade and what some passengers consider an upgrade can be very different things.

We booked a mini-suite GTY on the Ruby and got the cabin assignment within 2 days of making final payment. We're happy with the cabin, although it was not an upgrade from the original GTY category we booked.

Question... does Princess ever CHANGE the cabin number once a GTY cabin assignment has been made?

~Denise

If you're asking if you could get upgraded even after your guaranty is assigned, the answer is, while rare, yes, it can happen. I booked a guaranty on one cruise, got assigned in a higher category (ocv to deluxe ocv) then upgraded to ocv minisuite. So, it's possible. If you like your assignment, you can drop a "do not upgrade" on it by contacting your TA or Princess.

If you're asking if you could get upgraded even after your guaranty is assigned, the answer is, while rare, yes, it can happen. I booked a guaranty on one cruise, got assigned in a higher category (ocv to deluxe ocv) then upgraded to ocv minisuite. So, it's possible. If you like your assignment, you can drop a "do not upgrade" on it by contacting your TA or Princess.

I'm not really hoping for an upgrade or worried about losing the cabin they assigned to us. More just asking out of curiosity. Haven't had a GTY on Princess before and wasn't sure if they continued to "tweak" things after the initial GTY cabin assignment. Thanks for the response!

~Denise

One caution, just off CB and met a number of people with cabins where toilets were not working and/or AC did not work, many were on Dolphin deck...will post review later, but this was an issue with prior cruises and it is discouraging Princess still sells these cabins, and doesn’t seem to care or offer reimbursement to those affected..

Guarantee means you will have a cabin at least in the category booked or higher. Don't worry you will have a cabin. I book guarantee hoping for an upgrade. I am not particular about the cabin. If it is necessary for you to know the cabin then don't book guarantee.+

19 days to go; no cabin assignment yet. My plan is to post status every other day until we get an assignment, and then I will let everyone know how it works out.

Don't worry--you have a cabin of at least the level you paid for or better. You may not learn what your cabin number is until you get to the port, but you DO have one.

Last Oct we signed up for a GTY on our Trans Atlantic from the UK back to the USA. We received our cabin one week before departure with a free up grade. What was interesting was the fact that the Wife's sister had also signed up for this cruise requesting a GTY also using a different TA.

Her cabin assignment came in the same day also with an upgrade and she was next door to us.

Bob