Smithsonian's Mighty Cruise Ships

cltnccruisers

The Smithsonian Channel runs a series called Mighty Cruise Ships that we picked up on last year. It's kind of like a behind the scenes excursion. Tomorrow, Jan 25, 2018, they'll be doing Celebrity Solstice. We'll be doing a March, 2018, cruise on Silhouette as our first X trip so figured this might be of interest.

The Smithsonian Channel runs a series called Mighty Cruise Ships that we picked up on last year. It's kind of like a behind the scenes excursion. Tomorrow, Jan 25, 2018, they'll be doing Celebrity Solstice. We'll be doing a March, 2018, cruise on Silhouette as our first X trip so figured this might be of interest.

That's a very good show, they show the Solstice on its first Australian ship a couple of years ago. You will see a gentleman Tom Brady (Not a NE Patriot) on the show, we have had him on several of our cruises and is a real credit to Royal Caribbean, nice guy.

Good show and they usually run it along with the show on Azamara Journey.

That's a very good show, they show the Solstice on its first Australian ship a couple of years ago. You will see a gentleman Tom Brady (Not a NE Patriot) on the show, we have had him on several of our cruises and is a real credit to Royal Caribbean, nice guy.

Good show and they usually run it along with the show on Azamara Journey.

We caught a couple of the shows last year but missed the Solstice. There's also a show on AWE called Things That Move - they did Silhouette. It's a few years old and more tongue in cheek but still enjoyable from a passenger perspective.

We caught a couple of the shows last year but missed the Solstice. There's also a show on AWE called Things That Move - they did Silhouette. It's a few years old and more tongue in cheek but still enjoyable from a passenger perspective.

I'm hoping they do something with the Edge...

Along those lines they did a 2 hour piece on the NCL Breakaway (or maybe her sister) from design through laying the keel through sea trials all the way to New York. Really interesting.

There's two different series, both showing cruise ships, the one you mentioned "Mighty Cruise Ships" and "Mighty Ships". They all have other series with cruise ships that deal with engineering, etc.

There's two different series, both showing cruise ships, the one you mentioned "Mighty Cruise Ships" and "Mighty Ships". They all have other series with cruise ships that deal with engineering, etc.

Yep - I've seen ice breakers, tankers, etc, on "Mighty Ships". Then there's "Air Disasters", "Mighty Combat Trains", etc. Some are interesting, some not so much. :)

Wish it was showing here in Australia as we sail on her in a little over 3 weeks. We do get that particular series here, but it's more or less just shoved in haphazardly at odd times more or less as a fill-in programme during the non-ratings period. It was on last night, for instance, and it was the Queen Mary, but that was a repeat anyway.

Wish it was showing here in Australia as we sail on her in a little over 3 weeks. We do get that particular series here, but it's more or less just shoved in haphazardly at odd times more or less as a fill-in programme during the non-ratings period. It was on last night, for instance, and it was the Queen Mary, but that was a repeat anyway.

The Solstice episode wasn't one of my favourites to be honest. It was very focused on keeping the ship cool during the heat in the North and less on the ship itself.

I have no idea what network / channel "AWE" is . . . Would like to watch for the Silhouette episode.

We've seen the Solstice episode a number of times, but I set the DVR as we sail on her in just over 5 weeks. Sailed on Solstice before, but our first trip "down under". Not the same itinerary, but still whets the appetite.

Maybe you you could look into the possibility of streaming it online. I don't know if it's possible, but worth an attempt.

Maybe you you could look into the possibility of streaming it online. I don't know if it's possible, but worth an attempt.

Hi there. Yes, I did try that but I get a message saying that the it is not permitted to stream the video in this region. It's the same with most US television programmes. Oh well, it's 3 weeks tomorrow until we board her, so that will be much better than watching the television show, although those programmes are so interesting because of all the backstories you get to the incredible logistics that go into making a successful cruise.

Hi there. Yes, I did try that but I get a message saying that the it is not permitted to stream the video in this region. It's the same with most US television programmes. Oh well, it's 3 weeks tomorrow until we board her, so that will be much better than watching the television show, although those programmes are so interesting because of all the backstories you get to the incredible logistics that go into making a successful cruise.

Sorry it didn't work, but three weeks will fly by and you'll be happily aboard. Happy sails and calm seas.