Passport or copy of passport?

claudia814

When you are in a foreign country you need to have your passport with you at all times. A copy is not much good. On a cruise for a day in Cozumel you probably will not need a passport, unless something goes wrong.

I don't take my passport ashore with me. I have government ID (drivers license) and so does my wife. That is sufficient for most things. I actually do have a passport card and carry that in my wallet but in most countries it's no better than your drivers license. When we cruised to the South Pacific we couldn't have taken our passports ashore even if we wanted to do so as Princess had collected them and didn't give them back until we were on our way home from the last port.

If you do need assistance from the embassy a copy of your passport will certainly help things along. You can take a picture of it and have it on your phone or make a physical copy and carry that.

When you are in a foreign country you need to have your passport with you at all times.

Only in a foreign country that requires you have your passport with you should you take the actual passport off of the ship. Very few countries with cruise ports have this requirement (three are Russia, Israel and Egypt).

Why not take it with you for other countries? Because if it is lost or stolen while ashore, it can be a big problem.

We were on one cruise where a passenger lost his passport and was not allowed to reboard the ship because the next country would not let the ship clear unless 100% of the passengers' passports could be presented to authorities. He had to stay ashore, get a new passport, and then fly to rejoin the ship at a later port, all at his own expense.

I scanned my passport and sent it to myself via email. It can be pulled up from anywhere with an internet connection.

I used to use this procedure myself, sent lists of passwords, passports, driver licenses, etc. Safer to take a picture and save it in a password protected file. As a cyber security agent told me; Once your file has seen the internet, it is pretty much fair game.

I used to use this procedure myself, sent lists of passwords, passports, driver licenses, etc. Safer to take a picture and save it in a password protected file. As a cyber security agent told me; Once your file has seen the internet, it is pretty much fair game.

I found a free app on PlayStore, File Hide Expert, where you can hide important docs and pix in a password-protected file. Loafed it in my phone and tablet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Forums mobile app