Sailaway lunch @ MDR - Concierge Class

JonoBhoy

I hadn’t realised when we booked that there is a sailaway lunch at MDR for Concierge guests. Is it worth going to and what is the spread/uptake normally like?

My DW and I traditionally like to enjoy our first few hours onboard relaxing at the Mast Bar with a wine and maybe pick up something from the mast grill. The 11.30 start for the MDR lunch is also a little strange, just wondering what other guests experience of it is and is it worth turning up early for?

Thanks in advance

J

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, it’s a nice perk for sure, but not over the top awesome. You DO NOT have to show up early, it’s continuous as people board so just as long as you board during the time it’s running.

You order off a special menu with a couple of choices.

We enjoyed having a nice sit down lunch while we waited for our cabin. The buffet usually has no available seats.

Check it out, your mast grill plan is always available as plan “B”

I hadn’t realised when we booked that there is a sailaway lunch at MDR for Concierge guests. Is it worth going to and what is the spread/uptake normally like?

My DW and I traditionally like to enjoy our first few hours onboard relaxing at the Mast Bar with a wine and maybe pick up something from the mast grill. The 11.30 start for the MDR lunch is also a little strange, just wondering what other guests experience of it is and is it worth turning up early for?

Thanks in advance

J

From my perspective, I would stick with your traditional plan. The Concierge lunch menu is very limited. We left after looking at the menu. You can always check-out the menu for yourself at the entrance. My preference would be the Sunset Bar and perhaps something from the Ocean View Café.

As others have posted it isn’t anything to book a CC for and really not that special. They had to add it to give those in CC something extra and get the rookies into booking CC for that special occasion that they are celebrating.

It is a very limited menu and not that great.

There are many other options available to grab something to hold you over until dinner.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I like the Concierge Class embarkation lunch. I’ve only taken one cruise so far (on the Summit in October), but I had read a lot here about how busy and crowded buffets are at lunchtime on embarkation day. I was happy for an opportunity to avoid that. The lunch in the MDR was quiet and relaxing.

The dining experience is similar to breakfast in the MDR. There is a set menu with only a few options, which is a downside if you don’t like the choices, but you can look at the menu at the entrance or find it online. A section of the dining room is designated for guests to drop off their carry-on bags, which is nice. You don’t have to arrive at 11:30, but my friend and I did, and it wasn’t too long after we finished that the staterooms were opened.

If you already have a routine that you like, I’m not sure the MDR lunch is worth giving that up for. But if you like the Concierge lunch menu and the dining experience of breakfast in the MDR, I think the lunch is a way to have a nice meal without a huge crowd and pass the time until the staterooms are ready.

We enjoyed the relaxing nature of the Concierge lunch. It was nice to have our carry on bags stored, sit at a cloth covered table, order and be served lunch and a nice glass of wine and relax. By the time 1:00PM rolled around, our room was ready and we left. We didn't have to drag our carry on bags around, or jockey for seats. When we last did it we enjoyed the salad and lamb, and then dessert. However, I would have been happy just to be served a lunch and found something that would satisfy knowing that I had two weeks on the ship and many more meals to find exactly what I wanted.

A poster who is writing a live review from the Equinox has photos of the Concierge Class lunch menu and her dishes in this thread: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2590819&page=3

I had the same menu on my Summit cruise. I assume the menu is always/usually the same.

I had same menu on the Eclipse 3x....it's not the biggest selection but the food was good and as a plant eater the whole wheat pasta and chocolate cake were excellent....if you fly in day before and get to port around noon...it's just enough to tide you over between b-fast and dinner and by the time you're finished your room should be ready or very close to it. Plus the expedited check-in is a plus for those of us who cannot stand on long lines (physically).

We actually prefer the Buffet to the CC lunch. We always get on fairly early and the buffet is never very crowded. There's so many more choices in the buffet versus the 3 on the CC lunch menu. And you still have to get on fairly early to make the CC lunch. I think it's only until 1pm.

A poster who is writing a live review from the Equinox has photos of the Concierge Class lunch menu and her dishes in this thread: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2590819&page=3

I had the same menu on my Summit cruise. I assume the menu is always/usually the same.

The menu we had for the Concierge Lunch on Eclipse included rack of lamb, so not always the same on all ships.

And our lunch included a steak (I'd been hoping for the lamb), so they must change it periodically. Not the best I've ever had, but decent, and I didn't have to cook, serve, or clean up afterwards, so I was happy.

I dislike eating in the OVC at the best of times, so being able to have a relaxing meal served to me during the madness of embarkation day was very welcome. So much more relaxing. And quieter! As for the food offerings at the Mast - no thank you. But to each their own. Your vacation=your choice.

And our lunch included a steak (I'd been hoping for the lamb), so they must change it periodically. Not the best I've ever had, but decent, and I didn't have to cook, serve, or clean up afterwards, so I was happy.

I dislike eating in the OVC at the best of times, so being able to have a relaxing meal served to me during the madness of embarkation day was very welcome. So much more relaxing. And quieter! As for the food offerings at the Mast - no thank you. But to each their own. Your vacation=your choice.

I agree with you about OVC but I had the most delicious veggie burger at the Mast....so I disagree on that one....but as you said....your vacation=your choice....that's why they have so many dining venues and can you imagine what it would be like if all 2500+ wanted to eat in the same place at the same time!!

My wife and I enjoyed the Concierge lunch at the start of our TA last year. The food was excellent and although there was only a few choices everyone on our table had no problem choosing something to their liking.

It was a nice relaxing start to the cruise that I would recommend over the buffet.