Budapest Chain Bridge - Possible Closure

Bake apple

FYI: Viking River Cruises has indicated in the event of Chain Bridge closure, we will be informed in a timely manner of alternate docking locations. Dock Akademia & Dock NH1-N8 either side of Chain Bridge and Elizabeth Bridge are the three listed locations.

This will affect the Christmas Market experience. Because I like to walk to the Christmas Markets I enjoyed the Chain Bridge docks. Now the distance from the markets may be too long for a comfortable walk. The Elizabeth Bridge is a bit of a hike.

Our AMA ship was docked between the Chain Bridge and Elizabeth Bridge on the same side as the market. (Get confused if it’s Budha or Pest). This is a good location and we walked everywhere. Hopefully you’ll get a docking location near here. If not don’t fret, taxis are plentiful in Budapest.

That's interesting...Looks like it will be closed for 2 years.

I'm not sure why they would have to change the docking location (maybe too close to construction zone??)

Yes, that would be the reason. I remember having lunch on the Aquavit lounge deck and looking up at the bridge right off the bow. Dock on the Pest side- was a very good location, but....the parking/drop off/pick up lot may be needed for construction supply storage as well.

The cruise ships dock on the Pest side.
Satellite photos definitely have river cruise boats docked on both the Pest and Buda sides (but I agree that generally more boats on the Pest side). Perhaps Viking consistently docks on the Pest side, but with another line our docking location moved from one side of the Danube to the other when we made the evening tourist lights sailing. I don't think docking is allowed on the Pest side directly beside Parliament, but it is allowed on the Buda side directly across from Parliament, which IMO opinion is the most scenic place to dock. I have some great photos taken from that location.

When is the bridge closing? So that means to cross from Buda to Pest you would need to go up to the Elizabeth bridge?
According to a Travel Advisor post https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g274887-i263-k11137980-Chain_Bridge_Construction-Budapest_Central_Hungary.html from a person listing a Budapest residence: "According to the proclamation from the council, pedestrians will still be able to use it [Chain Bridge]."

That is my hope too. Everyone says the walk on the Chain Bridge to take in the views and photo opportunities are not to be missed. But as the kids say these days "it is what it is". Budapest has so much to offer that I doubt it will have any impact on what looks to be a fabulous cruise and an equally fabulous city.