Coffee card and gelato on the Royal

grandmacruise

Can anyone confirm if the coffee card is currently being accepted for gelato on the Royal? Thanks!

It was accepted in October on the Royal but several more recent posts from the Royal & Regal say it’s no longer valid at Gelato’s.:(

For a coffee card punch it was worth going to Gelato’s but probably not again at $3.50 and it’d be interesting to know any affect on sales.

Even though the dining room doesn’t have a sundae listed, they have the ingredients to make it. Or I can order the Volcano (basically a banana split) that’s on the kid’s menu. And there are several frozen treats that are available nightly in the MDR without paying anything extra.

I know you could use punches for gelato in the past. It appears the coffee cards expire. I don’t think I would use all the punches for specialty coffee on one cruise. It would be nice to get some gelato too. I might have to rethink the coffee card purchase. We sail the Royal next month.

I know you could use punches for gelato in the past. It appears the coffee cards expire. I don’t think I would use all the punches for specialty coffee on one cruise. It would be nice to get some gelato too. I might have to rethink the coffee card purchase. We sail the Royal next month.

The newly implemented expiration date (currently 12/31/18) on some new coffee cards being sold came after they stopped allowing a coffee card punch at Gelato’s.

On the Royal in October they eliminated the alcoholic version for 2 coffee card punches. But since then recent posts say punches are not useable for ice cream treats but haven’t read about if a punch is still valid for crepes on sea day afternoons.

Boarded Royal on Dec 20, 2017, and Passenger posted from previous voyage thier's was the last where you were able to use coffee card punch at Gelato. At MTP lunch I asked F&B manager about this change and his response was, since Royal and Regal are the only two ships that have Gelato bar, we decided to discontinue so as to not confuse passengers as Gelato is sometimes available at international cafe on other ships.

Boarded Royal on Dec 20, 2017, and Passenger posted from previous voyage thier's was the last where you were able to use coffee card punch at Gelato. At MTP lunch I asked F&B manager about this change and his response was, since Royal and Regal are the only two ships that have Gelato bar, we decided to discontinue so as to not confuse passengers as Gelato is sometimes available at international cafe on other ships.

I would not be confused at all if, instead of discontinuing coffee card use at Gelato's on the Riyal and Regal, they started to allow it on the three ships that have gelato at the IC. And, on those three ships, since three scoops of gelato cost less than the value of one punch, Princess would actually be making money on those ships.

Was the F&B manager able to say it with a straight face?

That’s ridiculous & it’s another example of attempting to convince passengers that losing something is for the benefit of passengers. Does Princess management think that passengers are so stupid to believe such garbage. Taking away anything that results in passengers paying more only benefits Princess & certainly not passengers.

With their warped logic, anything that isn’t on all ships should be removed to not confuse passengers.

Princess...your passengers are smarter than to believe your rationale for making this change.

Was the F&B manager able to say it with a straight face?

That’s ridiculous & it’s another example of attempting to convince passengers that losing something is for the benefit of passengers. Does Princess management think that passengers are so stupid to believe such garbage. Taking away anything that results in passengers paying more only benefits Princess & certainly not passengers.

With their warped logic, anything that isn’t on all ships should be removed to not confuse passengers.

Princess...your passengers are smarter than to believe your rationale for making this change.

As straight a face as possible considering knowing he was talking to a seasoned Princess traveler. My personal view is the use of the coffee card at the Gelato bar/shop on Royal and Regal in the past was a bonus since the card is marketed mainly for coffee/tea/hot choco. Did find it amusing the crew even said at treasure hunt when coffee card was prize it could be used at Gelato, shows they were not updated either. Interesting one of the updates on Caribbean Princess is Coffee and Cones, you have to wonder if this is scheduled for most or a test.

Its been a while since we sailed with Princess. Is it better to pay for a card prior to cruise for a discount or will there be promotions available on the ship? I remember our last cruise there was an offer of BOGO.

Same cost in advance & onboard; no BOGO coffee card coupon in years; no onboard promotions.

We were on the Royal's Dec. 10-20 cruise. It was the first one on which the coffee card was not supposed to be valid for gelato. But we got gelato for a punch early in the cruise because the woman ahead of us raised a fuss. Later on in the cruise, we also got it because we told the server we had been allowed to get it earlier in the cruise.

We were on the Royal's Dec. 10-20 cruise. It was the first one on which the coffee card was not supposed to be valid for gelato. But we got gelato for a punch early in the cruise because the woman ahead of us raised a fuss. Later on in the cruise, we also got it because we told the server we had been allowed to get it earlier in the cruise.

I can only wonder how much longer they'll be doing that?

Did they at least change the sign on the counter?

I can only wonder how much longer they'll be doing that?

Did they at least change the sign on the counter?

If you have the time to read all of the posts to this thread you will see I posted I was on the following cruise and NO more Gelato using coffee card punches allowed. There was no sign and menu did not indicate you could use coffee card. I did get a heads up as geoherb was LIVE posting to cruise critic and I saw post saying thier cruise was supposed to be the start of no more Gelato with coffee card but as you can see they did get a couple of uses during thier voyage. I have also posted comment I received about this change from F&B manager.