Shipwreck Bar on St. Kitts shutting down?

SpeedsterX

Well, it's "fact" and not "crap" and it's official now...just announced. I know someone who works at the Ritz/Marriott HDQ and they just forwarded to me an email that was sent to employees stating "Management agreement Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company, L.L.C. has signed a management agreement with The Liamuiga Corporation to open a Ritz-Carlton resort in St. Kitts expected in 2021" and the attached link (below). It seems they have even bigger plans down the road than just the Ritz Carlton.

Just a shame. I don't know anything about this "Liamuiga Corporation" or whether or not they own the property or purchased the property from that owner. Another beautiful island soon to be ruined by over development.

http://news.marriott.com/2018/02/ritz-carlton-slated-debut-st-kitts/

Edited by pghsteelerfan

• 3 weeks later...
any idea if it will still be opened on 19th of this month? Uggggghh.

No. I followed Shipwreck on social media and they posted on February 28 that it was their last day. They did mention that they would be seeking a new location and would post on their social media page with updates. I really loved Shipwreck when we were there, so we're really bummed about this.

Glad to see another Pittsburgher here! I'm a displaced yinzer living in VA now, but only 4 hours away.

No. I followed Shipwreck on social media and they posted on February 28 that it was their last day. They did mention that they would be seeking a new location and would post on their social media page with updates. I really loved Shipwreck when we were there, so we're really bummed about this.

Glad to see another Pittsburgher here! I'm a displaced yinzer living in VA now, but only 4 hours away.

you saved me from changing my plans. So glad yall spared me!!!

we're heading out soon for a hockey game.

you saved me from changing my plans. So glad yall spared me!!!

we're heading out soon for a hockey game.

Pens? I sure hope they end that losing streak. :) In St. Kitts, have you decided where you're going? We've also been to Cockleshell beach, which is also very nice and great views of Nevis.

Pens? I sure hope they end that losing streak. :) In St. Kitts, have you decided where you're going? We've also been to Cockleshell beach, which is also very nice and great views of Nevis.

Doing RCC's Catamaran Snorkeling and researchin Cockleshell for next time. Pens did. We won 6 games tickets and last night was the last ones. Such a good game last night.

We will be on Nevis so I'll send you some pictures in about 4 weeks.

Doing RCC's Catamaran Snorkeling and researchin Cockleshell for next time. Pens did. We won 6 games tickets and last night was the last ones. Such a good game last night.

We will be on Nevis so I'll send you some pictures in about 4 weeks.

We're so glad they won and winning 6 tickets would be awesome! Now that Shipwreck is shut down, I was thinking Nevis next time we visit, so yes, I'd love to see pictures! :) We normally cruise on Carnival and love the southern itinerary out of San Juan where St. Kitts is a regular port stop. I know Carnival also offers catamaran snorkeling excursions with a beach stop in Nevis. I believe there is a ferry to get to Nevis on your own, but I've seen a few posts where that's not recommended for cruise ship passengers in case the ferry is late getting back. On our last cruise, we got some great pics as we sailed past Nevis (on our way into St. Kitts) at sunrise.

I was so bummed about this. Thankfully I had heard before our cruise last week that they would be closing so we made alternate plans. We were 2 days too late and ended up at Carambola and we were not impressed. Spent $47 on lunch for 2 and it was nothing to write home about.

• 3 months later...
Well, it's "fact" and not "crap" and it's official now...just announced. I know someone who works at the Ritz/Marriott HDQ and they just forwarded to me an email that was sent to employees stating "Management agreement Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company, L.L.C. has signed a management agreement with The Liamuiga Corporation to open a Ritz-Carlton resort in St. Kitts expected in 2021" and the attached link (below). It seems they have even bigger plans down the road than just the Ritz Carlton.

Just a shame. I don't know anything about this "Liamuiga Corporation" or whether or not they own the property or purchased the property from that owner. Another beautiful island soon to be ruined by over development.

http://news.marriott.com/2018/02/ritz-carlton-slated-debut-st-kitts/

So I'm not following. They sold Shipwreck and they are building a Ritz Carlton there at the beach? What about Discovery? Is it gone too? Why would they build a huge hotel there? There isn't much beachfront there to begin with? :confused:

So I'm not following. They sold Shipwreck and they are building a Ritz Carlton there at the beach? What about Discovery? Is it gone too? Why would they build a huge hotel there? There isn't much beachfront there to begin with? :confused:

We were at Shipwreck last December and I hiked up to Carambola. Discovery was closed then. Shipwreck and Carabola were the only ones open.

Hey there! Hope you're having a great summer. Are you thinking of booking another cruise? If so, I'm already looking forward to it...these cruise withdrawals are terrible!!!

I don't know about Discovery, but Shipwreck is currently open again, in their same spot. I'm not 100%, but I'm pretty sure it's temporary. I follow Shipwreck on a social networking site and they posted on April 18 (just looked it up) that they were reopening in their same spot. I do know that when it was originally announced that Shipwreck would be closing (here and on their social media page) that they were trying to work out an agreement with the landowner until the land is developed. The owners of Shipwreck apparently lease that land, they don't own it. So they were shut down at the end of February but opened up again in April.

But yes, eventually the Ritz Carlton resort will be on that beach and that whole surrounding area, but I don't know if a date for development has been decided/announced. Somebody very close to me works for Marriott, so that's where I got the factual information that Ritz Carlton IS going to be building a large resort in that whole area. That was from an email that was sent to all Marriott HDQ employees. From other reports I have seen here, Carambola owns the land they are on, so they aren't going anywhere unless they decide to sell their land.

Tried to edit, but it went past the limited amount of time, so trying to answer your specific questions (in red):

So I'm not following. They sold Shipwreck and they are building a Ritz Carlton there at the beach? Yes, it's supposed to be a large resort, but the beach section will be South Friars Bay where Shipwreck/Discovery are, and probably down to near where Carambola is, but will also include the land in that whole low laying area. Shipwreck apparently didn't own the land they are on, they leased from the landowner. The landowner is developing the land but don't know if owner sold to the Ritz or is just letting Ritz develop there. What about Discovery? Is it gone too? From other posts that I've seen, Discovery is gone. Why would they build a huge hotel there? I have no idea the reasons, but I'm sure $$$ is involved. It is known that the owner is a Kuwaiti Corporation w/NY address; it's *believed* owner is foreign person well connected to St. Kitts' government. There isn't much beachfront there to begin with? No, there really isn't. clear.png?emoji-confused-1977

This whole situation is a shame. St. Kitts is such a small island that most will do island tour & see the sites on their first visit, but repeat cruisers may just opt for a nice, relaxing beach day...like we do. The problem with St. Kitts and beaches is that there are only three main beaches that are generally calm enough for swimming and those are Frigate Beach, South Friars Bay (Carambola, Shipwreck, Discovery), and Cockleshell Beach. The Marriott Resort has a beach on the Atlantic side, but it's not always safe to swim.

We were at Shipwreck last December and I hiked up to Carambola. Discovery was closed then. Shipwreck and Carabola were the only ones open.

It's weird that I followed Discovery on social media and used to see their post all the time and then all of a sudden stopped seeing them. Then I was trying to look it up not too long ago and couldn't find anything. I had no idea they actually closed. I wonder if they'll reopen somewhere else. That's too bad.

Hey there! Hope you're having a great summer. Are you thinking of booking another cruise? If so, I'm already looking forward to it...these cruise withdrawals are terrible!!!

I don't know about Discovery, but Shipwreck is currently open again, in their same spot. I'm not 100%, but I'm pretty sure it's temporary. I follow Shipwreck on a social networking site and they posted on April 18 (just looked it up) that they were reopening in their same spot. I do know that when it was originally announced that Shipwreck would be closing (here and on their social media page) that they were trying to work out an agreement with the landowner until the land is developed. The owners of Shipwreck apparently lease that land, they don't own it. So they were shut down at the end of February but opened up again in April.

But yes, eventually the Ritz Carlton resort will be on that beach and that whole surrounding area, but I don't know if a date for development has been decided/announced. Somebody very close to me works for Marriott, so that's where I got the factual information that Ritz Carlton IS going to be building a large resort in that whole area. That was from an email that was sent to all Marriott HDQ employees. From other reports I have seen here, Carambola owns the land they are on, so they aren't going anywhere unless they decide to sell their land.

We actually decided to head to Aruba again this summer, for 10 days. I can't wait!!! No cruises booked yet, but we always book for fall around Oct-Dec.

Tried to edit, but it went past the limited amount of time, so trying to answer your specific questions (in red):

This whole situation is a shame. St. Kitts is such a small island that most will do island tour & see the sites on their first visit, but repeat cruisers may just opt for a nice, relaxing beach day...like we do. The problem with St. Kitts and beaches is that there are only three main beaches that are generally calm enough for swimming and those are Frigate Beach, South Friars Bay (Carambola, Shipwreck, Discovery), and Cockleshell Beach. The Marriott Resort has a beach on the Atlantic side, but it's not always safe to swim.

Yea, us too...wanting to just go to a beach and the options are limited in St Kitts. I'm just not too fond of St Kitts to begin with and this puts even more of a damper on ever wanting to go back there.

Yea, us too...wanting to just go to a beach and the options are limited in St Kitts. I'm just not too fond of St Kitts to begin with and this puts even more of a damper on ever wanting to go back there.

Limited beach options is definitely a downside of St. Kitts. I think Carnival has a beach break option over on Nevis, so next time we get back that's probably what we'll do since we've never been to Nevis.

I'm so glad you're going back to Aruba. We'd LOVE to go to Aruba some year. We were just in NOLA in May with friends (2nd time for us), and had a BLAST, so no cruises for us this year. We did see one of your old friends sail back up the Mississippi from our hotel one morning - Carnival Dream. We missed seeing her sail back out...we were having too much fun on Bourbon Street. ;p Hoping maybe next year for a cruise or beach vacation somewhere.

• 1 month later...

from some on-island friends on St Kitts in July reported: " I am just emailing to say “hi” and to update you re Shipwreck et al.

Apparently there’s been a court case brought by the developers against the St Kitts Gov regarding the Crown lands usage/ occupation etc. I guess the developers wanted to use every bit of the beach frontage or claim it for their own but 20 yards up from the high water mark belongs to the Gov/people of St Kitts so they didn’t get very far with their case, losing it and thus assuring that none of the beach bars including Shipwreck can be moved by the developers at any rate".

from some on-island friends on St Kitts in July reported: " I am just emailing to say “hi” and to update you re Shipwreck et al.

Apparently there’s been a court case brought by the developers against the St Kitts Gov regarding the Crown lands usage/ occupation etc. I guess the developers wanted to use every bit of the beach frontage or claim it for their own but 20 yards up from the high water mark belongs to the Gov/people of St Kitts so they didn’t get very far with their case, losing it and thus assuring that none of the beach bars including Shipwreck can be moved by the developers at any rate".

That's what the Law apparantly said for Ma's Bar and two BBQ retail set-ups. Hey Ho - Time passed - Carambola and Babylon arrived, with the okay from the Government.

Some say it smelt of corruption. Shurly not. Corrupt Government officials? Never.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
predictive text

So does that mean that Shipwreck is there to stay? I knew they posted on their social media page in April that they were "opening at their same old spot" but I wasn't sure if this was just temporary until development started or permanent. Hoping permanent.

Thanks for your replies. According to recent social media posts it appears they are still functioning. Hopefully Ship Wreck will be in business for a long time. It is still one of my most memorable beach bar experiences in the Caribbean to date.

• 3 weeks later...