Online check-in question

Muffinz

I just completed our online check in for our March 30 Cruise last night and have a question.

when I got to the section about expenses... there were only 2 options

Credit card or Cash account..... there was no option to select On Board Credit (I selected Cash account)

We would like any extra expenses to come out of our OBC... is there some way we can ensure this will happen?

thanks in advance

I believe that you can make those arrangements at the purser's desk once you board. If you choose cash account you may have to deposit a certain amount, but if you have enough OBC to cover the gratuities I think you should be okay (Likely someone with more experience will be along to provide the correct info before too long).

Enjoy your cruise!

The On Board Credit usually shows up on your ship account around Day 2 or 3 of the cruise. Don’t count on it being there when you first board. But, it doesn’t really matter (as long as it shows up eventually).

The OBC shows up as a credit on the account and is applied against purchases to the account. It doesn’t matter if it’s a cash account or a credit card one.

One thing you need to check, if you are traveling as a couple (which I assume from the use of “we”) is how the OBC is applied and if the two accounts are linked with all purchases together against the total OBC. It has always worked that way for us, but I have seen some posters say their accounts were separate and OBC appeared only on one account, leaving one account with a balance to pay and the other with a negative balance and no way to reconcile. This has never happened to us in a dozen Celebrity Cruises over the past 5 years.

You can see your account on the in room TV, so you can keep track of your running total throughout the cruise. If anything seems amiss, a quick trip to Guest Relations will get things sorted. Cheers!

I just completed our online check in for our March 30 Cruise last night and have a question.

when I got to the section about expenses... there were only 2 options

Credit card or Cash account..... there was no option to select On Board Credit (I selected Cash account)

We would like any extra expenses to come out of our OBC... is there some way we can ensure this will happen?

thanks in advance

They use the OBC first, all your expenses will be subtracted from your OBC! If you have OBC from celebrity it will show up on the first day or two on your account. If it's from your travel agent it takes another day or two for it to show up. You can check this on the TV in your stateroom. I would take a copy of the perks you are to get with booking with you in case the OBC does not show up on your account. If you have problem take your copy of your reservation to Guest Relations so you can get it corrected! It is so much easier to get it corrected if you have this information with you. The credit card or cash account is set up so if you spend more than your OBC they have someway of charging you for your charges. Hope this helps explain why they only give you two choices. Just another point of reference on this matter, check your onboard account a few times during your cruise so you make sure you spend all of your OBC or your not shocked with a big bill at the end of your cruise. It is a lot easier to take care of a charge that you did not make early in your cruise than the last day when they are extremely busy! Have a safe cruise!

thanks - yes we are travelling as a couple and our travel agent got is $150 OBC each and a Classic beverage package each.

I'll monitor the OBC usage on the TV screen..... wife might want to 'upgrade' to a cocktail or 2 that's not on the CBP!

The On Board Credit usually shows up on your ship account around Day 2 or 3 of the cruise. Don’t count on it being there when you first board. But, it doesn’t really matter (as long as it shows up eventually).

The OBC shows up as a credit on the account and is applied against purchases to the account. It doesn’t matter if it’s a cash account or a credit card one.

One thing you need to check, if you are traveling as a couple (which I assume from the use of “we”) is how the OBC is applied and if the two accounts are linked with all purchases together against the total OBC. It has always worked that way for us, but I have seen some posters say their accounts were separate and OBC appeared only on one account, leaving one account with a balance to pay and the other with a negative balance and no way to reconcile. This has never happened to us in a dozen Celebrity Cruises over the past 5 years.

You can see your account on the in room TV, so you can keep track of your running total throughout the cruise. If anything seems amiss, a quick trip to Guest Relations will get things sorted. Cheers!

Thank you. This is our first X cruise and we were wondering just last night how the OBC worked. I assume if you use it for specialty dining before it shows up on our account that it would be used for it?

Thank you. This is our first X cruise and we were wondering just last night how the OBC worked. I assume if you use it for specialty dining before it shows up on our account that it would be used for it?

You have assumed correctly. It generally takes a day or two for the OBC to appear on your account when you check your balance on the TV, but it is there.

You will need to switch your check in to credit card rather than cash. Probably can do that at check in when you board. Just make sure you have the credit card with you. Shouldn't be a problem. Then anything spent over the obc amount will just go on that card. DH always has the desk print out our last statement the night before disembarking. Just to compare to our credit card bill. Mistakes can happen.

Too, if you don't have a drink package, I'd check the account on board every day or two to make sure you were charged just for what you ordered. The servers often are shuffling cards as they deliver them back to their owners. Again, mistakes happen. Best to catch them ASAP to address at the front desk.

Have a great time.

You will need to switch your check in to credit card rather than cash. Probably can do that at check in when you board. Just make sure you have the credit card with you. Shouldn't be a problem. Then anything spent over the obc amount will just go on that card. DH always has the desk print out our last statement the night before disembarking. Just to compare to our credit card bill. Mistakes can happen.

Too, if you don't have a drink package, I'd check the account on board every day or two to make sure you were charged just for what you ordered. The servers often are shuffling cards as they deliver them back to their owners. Again, mistakes happen. Best to catch them ASAP to address at the front desk.

Have a great time.

I got in the habit very early of checking our account first thing in the morning and last thing at night. Caught a couple of things that were quickly resolved but on FOS in 2016 we were charged for several drinks we never had. When I went to Guest Relations the CSR actually called me a liar. His supervisor overheard the exchange and the next time I saw the CSR he was handing out towels at the pool.

thanks - yes we are travelling as a couple and our travel agent got is $150 OBC each and a Classic beverage package each.

I'll monitor the OBC usage on the TV screen..... wife might want to 'upgrade' to a cocktail or 2 that's not on the CBP!

If you each got $150 from your TA I believe you need to keep track of how much you each apply to your OWN stateroom card. In other words buy your drinks, tours, specialty dinners or items separately not on one card.