On shore excursions

sunshinexttp

Welcome to Cruise Critic! :D

You certainly can book shore excrusions on your own if you wish.

For your first cruise it's often easier and less stressful to book through the ship.

We've been cruising for ages and still often book ours with the ship. ;)

I'm a first time cruiser and will be on board the Norwegian Getaway. Is it important to book excursions through Norwegian or should I do it on my own? Thank you!

Hi

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Unless you are leaving this weekend and rushed for time, I would spend some time looking at the "port of call" threads on this site.

You can find them if you click on the "boards home" link. Scroll down the page. Click on the appropriate link and check each of the islands you will be visiting. You should be able to get ideas of what other people have done. Also, be sure to check out the "NCL" specific threads (there are threads for each specific cruise line), there you can ask about anything specific about the Getaway or NCL generally.

have a great cruise

We have cruised quite a lot and hardly ever do ship excursions anymore. The price is usually a lot lower and the tour groups smaller--or even private--with independent operators. We normally have found private excursions to be of a higher quality than the ship tours.

BUT: For a first time cruiser it may be easier and more comfortable to book through the cruise line because you don't have to do much of anything in advance but sign up. Also, ship tours will wait (usually) if for some reason the tour is late getting back to the ship. If you are nervous or unsure, it's fine to start out this way. Most cruisers did.

It helps to really research each port and see what you might enjoy. Also read these boards and other reviews online about independent tours and ship tours.

Research will also help you figure out if you even need a tour at a certain port. Sometimes we just get off and walk around or to a nearby beach or attraction; usually when we do this it's a port we have been at multiple times.

At most ports there are also numerous people selling independent tours as you walk out of the dock area. We've taken tours like this many times and have always enjoyed them.

The 'ship will wait for you if you are on our tour' is in my opinion a lot of hype; we've never even come close to missing the ship. Tour operators do not want you to be late--it would ruin their business! I do plan so that we get back at least an hour before sailaway, and in a few ports ship tours are still the best due to security or sites that are a long distance from port.

Good luck. Maybe try just one non-cruise tour your first time.

Hi

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Unless you are leaving this weekend and rushed for time, I would spend some time looking at the "port of call" threads on this site.

You can find them if you click on the "boards home" link. Scroll down the page. Click on the appropriate link and check each of the islands you will be visiting. You should be able to get ideas of what other people have done. Also, be sure to check out the "NCL" specific threads (there are threads for each specific cruise line), there you can ask about anything specific about the Getaway or NCL generally.

have a great cruise

Excellent advice.

Definitely check your roll calls at both places and see what other people may be doing on your sailing. Personally, we won't ever do ship excursions, we prefer to do them on our own because it's cheaper and less people and usually much more fun because you have more time. Some people like ship excursions for the peace of mind though which is fine. Check out excursion vendors on TripAdvisor and of course on CC in the ports of call threads. Reputable companies are going to have you back to port on time and you shouldn't have any troubles.

When you book on your own you have to keep in mind the logistics of getting to the excursions. Also very important do you have enough time to get back to the ship on time. The ship WILL LEAVE without you if you’re not back.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums