Help picking a cruise

K-Rae1969

My husband and I are getting a nice tax return this year, and I have got him to agree to a cruise. We are going last minute and I’ve been searching every cruise line. I can’t decide on a cruise. They all have something to offer. My husband is 64 and has never cruised, I’ve been on one Carnival cruise many years ago. (I’m 48) We are not extremely picky on destination, length, or cabin. We do enjoy; good food, entertainment, sun, movies, shopping, music, history, and relaxing. I’m a recovered alcoholic but I do like to still sit with my husband while he enjoys a drink. My husband is in excellent health for his age! Please help!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is a lot of alcohol consumed on Carnival cruises - particularly on the 3-5 day 'party boats'. Determine whether that is an environment you wish to be in.

Also, consider whether you want to travel with the March break families and crowds. (you don't mention just how 'last minute' you mean).

You might want to discuss and book with a cruise expert travel agent who may be better able to advise which cruise lines to narrow down to. Without having any specific booking criteria, doing it on your own might become overwhelming fast.

Find a TA that specializes in cruises and let him do some of the legwork for you. Sometimes they even have cabins available that aren't available when you look at the cruise lines site. They can help you make the decisions and take a lot of the stress out of the equation.

From your description, Royal Carribean sounds like a good fit. Carnival would likely not be a good fit. If you are not going to use a travel agent or want to narrow it down before doing so, my advice is to go onto a cruise travel agent web site and put in the month that you want go and see what cruises come up. Click through them with your husband and see which destinations and itineraries appeal to you. Every place you go will have some interesting history. For instance did an excursion in Freeport that you would have loved, and most people certainly don't think of Freeport as a cool history site!

I would check out Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. If you could wait until April to Cruise Celebrity Summit has an awesome repositioning from San Juan Puerto Rico Saturday, April 21San Juan, Puerto Rico8:

The cruise Does Caribbean and Bermuda and ends in NJ/New York City

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

From your description, Royal Carribean sounds like a good fit. Carnival would likely not be a good fit. If you are not going to use a travel agent or want to narrow it down before doing so, my advice is to go onto a cruise travel agent web site and put in the month that you want go and see what cruises come up. Click through them with your husband and see which destinations and itineraries appeal to you. Every place you go will have some interesting history. For instance did an excursion in Freeport that you would have loved, and most people certainly don't think of Freeport as a cool history site!

x2 - I also thought of Royal Caribbean when I read your question. I'm not always a fan of larger ships, but think entertainment on RCI's largest is pretty darn good.

Where do YOU want to go? When are you wanting to go? Where are you wanting to sail from? You said you like "sun" that could be Hawaii or the Caribbean. "Relaxing" that can be Caribbean or Alaska and "History" that fits some Europe cruises to a tee. Nobody on here can tell you what is "best" for you. That is a decision only you guys can make.

Since you live in Minnesota, check what cruise terminals are accessible for your travel means, whether driving or flying. If flying, look for non stops 1st. Then find out what cruiselines sail from that port. Ask yourself if the weather when you plan to fly/drive could be a factor. Have a backup plan and travel insurance.

Based on your listed likes, I suggest you browse through some threads on a few cruiselines like Carnival, NCL, Royal and Celebrity to get a flavor of what they offer. Decide what itinerary you would like....for sun, relaxation and history, I would suggest a Panama cruise on Celebrity, but almost any Caribbean cruise could suffice. If you can get to Miami or FLL, there are more than enough choices.

You say you are a recovered alcoholic, so I will say there are Friends of Bill W meetings scheduled on almost all sailings from US ports. If you are inclined to attend, they can range from none showing up, to a handful, or sometimes 20 or 30 other guests As posted before, the shorter the sailing the harder the drinking usually is..

I would also consider Holland America. DH and I used them last Christmas out of Tampa and they set the bar very high for us. Similar demographic to RCL, but we found the service, food and entertainment to be much better for a similar size ship.

Hello Fellow Minnesotan!

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Based on your description, I would agree with other posters recommendations so far for Royal, Celebrity, HAL, and I would probably add Princess. I would probably not do Carnival, especially during Spring Break season. I'm about the same age as you and I think the other lines might suit the two of you better.

From Minneapolis, flights to MIA or FLL (or even Tampa) are usually pretty reasonable assuming you are interested in the Caribbean. For history, you could also consider the Mediterranean but that will be a longer flight, and more expensive.

I do think a good travel agent who specializes in cruises would be helpful for you.

I think that MSC cruises would be ideal for you - their shows are Broadway caliber and change every single day and the price for a Yacht Club suite is similar to a junior suite on other ships. The Yacht Club is an all inclusive experience (including all alcohol for your husband and soda and juice and specialty coffee and tea for you - even your suite's mini-bar is included) with butler service and a private area for Yacht Club guests including a private restaurant, pool area, buffet 24x7 and a private lounge plus entrance to the thermal suite included. Even for embarkation you are taken to a special area for VIP treatment. There are specialty restaurants onboard, but the Yacht Club restaurant serves food from them and it is included, so unless you just want to go eat somewhere else, there is no need to go outside of the Yacht Club's restaurant. This is one of the biggest cruise bargains around. This is an Italian cruise line originally from the area near Naples so the food onboard is Neopolitan. It is just awesome! As to the shows - just wow, every night a different show and each one great with Broadway caliber performers - all about music and dancing with the occasional acrobatic act. There is live music in many areas of the ship including nightly in the Yacht Club lounge. The ships are gorgeous and sophisticated with international passengers and crew - it's an awesome experience and very romantic.

RCCL ships also have great entertainment especially on Oasis class ships: Oasis, Allure, Harmony, Symphony and Anthem are all gorgeous ships. To me, they feel a lot like staying in a big amusement park - like Disneyworld. I really love these ships, but I have to be in the mood for all of this in order to get the most out of the ship. It's an incredibly active vacation as there is so much to do onboard. However, they have all these specialty restaurants (reservations required) that are just great - in fact I've never made it to the MDR on these ships. There is so much to do onboard you cannot do it all in a week. The shows range from ice skating shows ,high diving shows, acrobats, comedy club (same show every night) and a Broadway show with a quality cast, There is also a jazz club, dance clubs and all kinds of events going on all the time. These ships have flow riders, rock climbing walls, zip lines, some have slides, merry go rounds and inside, there is an area that would remind you of a shopping mall.

Celebrity Cruises cater to a more sophisticated crowd and they are known for great food. Where they are weaker is in terms of entertainment. They do have really nice suites but they are pricey. The suites have a private dining room with upscale food and you get butler service.

Princess Cruises has very good food and the newer ships are beautiful- we were on the Regal Princess last October and it was just an awesome experience. I booked last minute so we had a Deluxe Balcony which was very nice. The food onboard was very good with only a few dishes I didn't care for. We never did go to any of the shows as this was an extremely port intensive cruise, but in terms of how the cruise went, it was great!

So my question to you is if you are looking for a more romantic, quiet and sophisticated type of cruise (MSC) or are you looking for something where you will be very active and have things to do 24x7, theme park style entertainment and specialty restaurants.(RCCL).