Voom on Oasis

I will be on Oasis this Spring with my wife & two small kids. Unfortunately I will have to have internet access so at a minimum I can monitor work before the family wakes up or after they go to bed daily. So I’m definitely getting the package. Questions for you experienced cruisers from a dad who is new to all this:

1) Price dropped to $13.99 a day in the cruise planner today (from $15.99). Is this an actual sale? I realize I can get a refund and buy it again if I see the price lower but I’m just looking for a general sense of what types of prices people typically see on the cruise planner for this.

2) The 2 device package is $26.58. My wife swears she doesn’t want internet, so I’m inclined not to buy it. But part of me thinks it would be real convenient if she could text me if we aren’t together. I expect we will be together most times, though I tend to wake up earlier than the family and wander for coffee before they get up, and we will also have times when I’m with the kids while my wife is at the spa. For any couples/families who’ve been on such a big ship before, did you find texting ability convenient enough to justify the cost, or is it as unnecessary as my wife thinks it is?

Any thoughts and personal experiences appreciated! Thanks!

For any couples/families who’ve been on such a big ship before, did you find texting ability convenient enough to justify the cost, or is it as unnecessary as my wife thinks it is?

The other half is usually right - skip the two device package and share the one device package.

1) Price dropped to $13.99 a day in the cruise planner today (from $15.99). Is this an actual sale? I realize I can get a refund and buy it again if I see the price lower but I’m just looking for a general sense of what types of prices people typically see on the cruise planner for this.

Thanks for the heads up on the sale. Just went in and purchased for my April cruise!!

The only reason I was thinking of the 2 device package was so we would have the option to text & coordinate if we are not together. Im sure she won’t actually use internet on board as neither of us is very into social media and the like. Am I correct in assuming that having a 2 device package is the only way to do this? Or are there other options (such as a limited package for my wife that would allow text only but no surfing and streaming)? Thanks for any thoughts on this one!

We will be going on the Oasis in May. My husband insists he won't be bringing his phone, but little does he know I am packing it anyway! It is a BIG ship and I do not plan on spending my entire cruise looking for him or having him get angry because he can't find me! Most times we will be together, but when he is people watching or napping, I may be gambling or in the spa! He will carry his phone and text me if he wants to know where I am and vice versa! We are going with two other couples who have been on the Oasis twice already and they recommend the 2 device package for this very reason. It does seem high, but the the onboard credit just about covered it, so it didn't hurt too bad! Happy cruising!:cool:

Does anyone know what discount you get on board for being a diamond member? wondering if to purchase now or wait to get on on board with the diamond discount...

Each Diamond member receives either one free continuous 24-hour period of unlimited internet or $26 off the purchase of a package.

We'll be on the Allure of the Seas in less than 2 weeks and we pre-purchased the 2 device package. I will soon let you know if I feel it was worth it.

Thank you! I did figure out that with Verizon she can pay as she goes for text ($0.50 outgoing and $0.05 incoming) so she will be able to text me if we are separated and it’ll likely be less costly that a Voom package, so that is my backup plan. But she will have to be sure her cellular data is off so we don’t get hit with other charges and she’s not super tech-savvy so WiFi would probably just be easier. I think if she only uses it to text me occasionally this will work fine and save a bit of money, but I think a WiFi package would be better from an ease of use perspective. So I’m definitely interested in hearing your impressions. Have a great trip!