What cocktails/alcoholic drinks

Hi for those of you who are type 2 diabetics what kind of cocktails or alcoholic drinks do you have on a cruise.

I have been recently diagnosed so not sure what is the best drink for me.

My go to drinks before were Miami vice and Mudslides which are out of the question now.

Thanks for your replies

Hi for those of you who are type 2 diabetics what kind of cocktails or alcoholic drinks do you have on a cruise.

My go to drinks before were Miami vice and Mudslides which are out of the question now.

Thanks for your replies

I would definitely check with your physician and/or dietician for guidance. Clearly, you would need to stay away from frozen drinks, as those have a ton of sugar. I would also recommend avoiding juice-based or mix-based drinks. I tend to go for vodka with seltzer, lime and a splash of cranberry. I'm not diabetic, but the sugary drinks tend to make me ill. Diet soda and rum, vodka, what-have-you, might also be good options. However, you still need to keep in mind that alcohol in any form has carbs, which can affect your blood sugar.

I asked once if they could do a skinny version of cocktails such as a mojito, using a sugar-free simple syrup. They said no. I'm not diabetic but prefer to avoid the sugar. I think your best bet is keeping it simple, alcohol of choice, plus seltzer, or diet coke. The freestyle machines have a variety of flavors of diet coke too. No one will stop you from buying a shot and adding it to your beverage of choice from the freestyle machine. That is cheaper too than buying a sweet mixed drink. Keep track of how each type of drink affects your blood sugar. Moderation is key.

I got curious about the sugar-free syrups. Google shows a plethora of flavors and recipes. There is even a skinny mudslide recipe. You might want to bring your own choice of syrup, and from there you can either purchase a shot, or if you are so inclined, smuggle alcohol onboard. It would be nice if RC provided for the ever growing population that has to be careful with sugar.

I am a type 2 diabetic. I stick with rum and diet coke. I also will drink a glass of wine, dry not sweet.. Fruity drinks, frozen drinks are off the list. I may have one or two of the drinks of the day but I can't drink them the whole cruise. You should monitor your blood sugar carefully to know what sends your sugar higher than your goal. You might want to test drinks before you go on the cruise.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

• 1 month later...
I would definitely check with your physician and/or dietician for guidance. Clearly, you would need to stay away from frozen drinks, as those have a ton of sugar. I would also recommend avoiding juice-based or mix-based drinks. I tend to go for vodka with seltzer, lime and a splash of cranberry. I'm not diabetic, but the sugary drinks tend to make me ill. Diet soda and rum, vodka, what-have-you, might also be good options. However, you still need to keep in mind that alcohol in any form has carbs, which can affect your blood sugar.

Absolutely incorrect. Plain vodka, rum, gin (and other distilled liquors) have calories but NO CARBS. If it is flavored then beware!

Thanks for your replies

Gin and diet tonic..

On a related issue, does RCI still have sugar free symbol on menus? Our last RCI cruise was in 2011. We are planning a 50th anniversary cruise in 2020 with family. One granddaughter has diabetes.

I've never seen diet tonic on a ship but I love gin and diet tonic and will ask about it next week. Some of the things I drink are: Bloody Marys (extra spicy), Michelob light beer, rum and diet coke/dr.pepper, white wine, mojitos that the bartenders can make by muddling the mint and lime with artificial sweetener, adding the rum and topping off with diet Sprite, vodka with diet Sprite and a splash of cranberry juice, dry martinis (extra dirty!). Everyone is different but these have never given me any problems. Of course the best advice is to talk with your health care professional and maybe to experiment with some low sugar drinks and take readings to see how each one affects you personally.

Thanks for your replies

Alcohol can interact with some diabetic medications so I would suggest checking into possible complications with your meds.

Presuming alcohol consumption is permitted, drink your usual. Just do so in moderation. I try to keep my cruise consumption under two rum & coke a day.

I stay away from soda, juices, lemonade, etc. I'm fine with (tap) water and black coffee/tea.

One can compensate a bit for indulging in alcohol by more carefully watching food intake.

Edited by broberts

On a related issue, does RCI still have sugar free symbol on menus? Our last RCI cruise was in 2011. We are planning a 50th anniversary cruise in 2020 with family. One granddaughter has diabetes.

Desserts are identified on the menu as "no sugar added".

However, there is a lot of natural sugars in the ingredients in some of the desserts (e.g., pear and peach cobbler or peach shortcake). And carbs in general.

There is always a "no sugar added" dessert and ice cream on the menu. The following link includes menus from our last week's voyage on the Allure https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2613542

Desserts are identified on the menu as "no sugar added".

However, there is a lot of natural sugars in the ingredients in some of the desserts (e.g., pear and peach cobbler or peach shortcake). And carbs in general.

There is always a "no sugar added" dessert and ice cream on the menu. The following link includes menus from our last week's voyage on the Allure https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2613542

Thanks for this wealth of information. Our granddaughter has Cystic Fibrosis Related Diabetes, which means a high carb, no sugar diet. Allure is sailing the week of our anniversary, but I think that big of a ship would be overwhelming for their first cruise. I am hoping for Freedom class.