Any questions on the Cabanas on the Nieuw Amsterdam

watty32

My wife and I have sailed several times on the Nieuw Amsterdam and on our last trip from San Francisco to Fort Lauderdale, via the Panama Canal we booked a family cabana for the entire cruise. It was delightful and I would be glad to answer questions on the Cabanas if anyone is interested.

My wife and I have sailed several times on the Nieuw Amsterdam and on our last trip from San Francisco to Fort Lauderdale, via the Panama Canal we booked a family cabana for the entire cruise. It was delightful and I would be glad to answer questions on the Cabanas if anyone is interested.

Were you poolside or on the upper deck overlooking the pool? Please tell us more about your experience. Thanks.

I feel terribly guilty booking a family cabana for just the two of us so I only ever do that when there are more. Maybe one day I'll be able to do it.

I've seen one person in the family cabana and many times two. There is nothing to feel guilty about. You pay the same for it as 4 people do. Its not a per person situation.

We were in the family cabana on the upper deck. The cabanas around the pool are subject to have a lot of noise as they are only about 20 feet or so from the pool and very close to the lounges around the pool. There is very little privacy as walls are made of fabric material. On our cruises, we saw very little of them in use. I think if they were used it would be primarily on a "daily" basis versus booking one for the entire cruise. Since our family cabana was for the entire cruise, we even put a crossword puzzle together and were able to leave it up for days at a time while we worked on it. The stewards would cover it in bad weather or a very windy day. The stewards were very efficient and were also quickly available if something was needed. I don't think the upper cabanas would be worth the cost if you were sailing in cooler waters such as on the Alaska cruise. It would just be to cold to adequately use the facilities. Another drawback is the cabanas are completely forward, so if your cabins are in the aft area, you will have to navigate the entire ship to use them. If you had disabilities this might be a downer.

We were in the family cabana on the upper deck. The cabanas around the pool are subject to have a lot of noise as they are only about 20 feet or so from the pool and very close to the lounges around the pool. There is very little privacy as walls are made of fabric material. On our cruises, we saw very little of them in use. I think if they were used it would be primarily on a "daily" basis versus booking one for the entire cruise. Since our family cabana was for the entire cruise, we even put a crossword puzzle together and were able to leave it up for days at a time while we worked on it. The stewards would cover it in bad weather or a very windy day. The stewards were very efficient and were also quickly available if something was needed. I don't think the upper cabanas would be worth the cost if you were sailing in cooler waters such as on the Alaska cruise. It would just be to cold to adequately use the facilities. Another drawback is the cabanas are completely forward, so if your cabins are in the aft area, you will have to navigate the entire ship to use them. If you had disabilities this might be a downer.

Thanks for the details. I was sorry to see those lower deck cabanas on the NA myself - plus they took away the tables around the pool that we always liked to use for Lido dining and it did seem uncomfortable when we had to pass these "private retreats" so closely going from one of the deck to the next - I did wonder what value they were for the whole "retreat" concept. I hope they take them out and put back the dining tables.

What was it like when it was windy in the upper deck cabanas - do the awnings protect you enough to still be enjoyable? I think they are a great idea up there because the upper decks always feel too exposed to be really enjoyed as open public space. Yet the broad expanse of empty space is there waiting to be used for something.

The wind never did bother us but we did have a few moments when it rained and the water blew in, but it warm enough that it didn't make us feel we had to leave the area. I don't remember about the other cabanas but the family units have glass on the ocean side so it is quite protected from the elements.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the details. I was sorry to see those lower deck cabanas on the NA myself - plus they took away the tables around the pool that we always liked to use for Lido dining and it did seem uncomfortable when we had to pass these "private retreats" so closely going from one of the deck to the next - I did wonder what value they were for the whole "retreat" concept. I hope they take them out and put back the dining tables.

What was it like when it was windy in the upper deck cabanas - do the awnings protect you enough to still be enjoyable? I think they are a great idea up there because the upper decks always feel too exposed to be really enjoyed as open public space. Yet the broad expanse of empty space is there waiting to be used for something.

We live the Family Retreat Cabana but it was ridiculously windy on our Panama Canal Cruise last month. In two of the days the wind banged the tied down canvases all day. The noise was deafening. The cabana stewards did their best to bring drinks and snacks but it was almost impossible. The cabanas were open but incredibly noisy.

Also, the cabanas used to have tarp like curtains that could be drawn when it rained, but the wind has a way of destroying them so there were none on the Zuiderdam. They would have been useful on the day it rained. We abandoned the cabana that day as there was no way to keep dry.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I did not find this answer on the new HAL website, but how much do the cabanas on the Nieuw Amsterdam cost now? Is there a daily charge or are they only available for the whole cruise? Thanks.

For a Caribbean cruise, do the cabanas get hot...too hot to use?

No, not really. It’s shaded inside with a nice breeze coming through. (Haven’t been in a side cabana so this applies to the ones facing the stern.) When I start to get cool I sit on one of the loungers in the sun. Best of both worlds.

Assuming a Family Cabana cost around $600 for a 7 night cruise, what is included in that price?

Fruit, water, champagne, afternoon chocolate-covered strawberries and frozen grapes. Misters and fans. Robes and slippers. Stewards to get you anything you want and/or anticipate your every need. I hate the chaos of the Lido for breakfast so breakfast in the Cabana was my favorite way to start the day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd be sold if the cabanas had a bathroom. :D

And did your steward get you breakfast?

Yes and yes. They knew exactly how to make my coffee after the first day. I never had to ask and they always brought that and my juice as soon as they saw me. When my parents were with me on another ship they knew from the first day that they enjoyed afternoon ice cream and would always pop in to ask if it was ice cream time. There were menus but they were quite happy to take off-menu orders. Okay, now I’m wishing I was back on there. Lol

• Like 1

We rented a retreat cabana on the NA for a seven day Caribbean with the thought that if we liked it we could book it for the 20 day cruise we were taking b to b with the seven days.

It was a lovely setting but we found it dreadfully hot and airless.

We were also bored out of our minds. After two days we never returned.

Our friends in the adjoining cabana held out longer than we did but they were not using it much toward the end of that trial week.

We were all so glad we had not spent the money to prebook for the whole 27 days we were aboard.