Alaskan White Pass Scenic Railway in Skagway

donnajo56

If people want a train and bus combination. I would personally use one of the local companies. They use smaller 20 max passenger buses.

That's exactly what Dyea Dave has. We had a great tour. Our guide was great and tailored the stops to our requests. Price was very reasonable too.

We'll be using Chilkoot Tours for the second time (train up, van back) this summer. There is an interesting thread on the Alaska Board right now (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2597683#post55264590) about Dyea Dave passengers booking directly with the railroad this summer.

yes there is a bathroom on each car

we took this excursion where you board the train, go to Canada, get off and board buses to return. The buses stop and 3 locations for pictures and driver gives info

When I did that, stop #2 on the way back was at porta-potties 20 miles from

Haines Jct (aka "Nowhere") and was amazed there was plenty of TP. :D

We had an incredible combination tour Yukon Rail & Bus with Chilkoot charters last summer, train up and bus back. I highly recommend going with Chilkoot (or one of the other private tour companies), as the tours are so much more personalized. We had the best tour guide I have ever had on a mini-bus with 11 passengers, vs. Princess's bus of 50. Mike picked us up at the dock, gave us a brief tour through town on the way to the train station where Chilkoot had reserved the last train car for us - fantastic for taking pictures. He picked us up at the train station in Fraser, and we were on our way to Emerald Lake before the bigger buses had finished loading up. Mike found a way to keep us ahead of the crowds, and timed our stops so we were able to photograph a number of train crossings. The time flew by as he regaled us, not only with information about the local geology and history, but also about life in Skagway.

enhance

enhance

• 1 month later...

For the 3.5 hour train up/train back tour, I am wrestling with VIP vs. Standard....I read one post that said VIP was worth it. Are there any other thoughts on this? Has anyone done both? The price difference is about $400 for two (total). Thanks!

For the 3.5 hour train up/train back tour, I am wrestling with VIP vs. Standard....I read one post that said VIP was worth it. Are there any other thoughts on this? Has anyone done both? The price difference is about $400 for two (total). Thanks!

Not really worth the e travel $400 dollars. For that amount I would a longer that takes you to Fraser. Even to Carcross.

As I understand it, you're talking about the "luxury car with adult beverages" option?

How much do you like booze? Otherwise much the same as "steerage". ;p

It's sad that (steam) Engine #73 is out of service for the 2018 season.

As I understand it, you're talking about the "luxury car with adult beverages" option?

How much do you like booze? Otherwise much the same as "steerage". ;p

It's sad that (steam) Engine #73 is out of service for the 2018 season.

Yes, also purported to have finger food, more comfortable seating, and a dedicated guide. To answer your question, I am likely to have one or two drinks. Wife the same. I think the "comfort factor" is what would move the needle for me. Is it a better view, a lot less crowded, etc., etc? If the only advantage is bad booze and chicken fingers--I'm out. That's why I'm hoping some of ya'll have done it both ways and can comment.

Thank you for responding!

Yes, also purported to have finger food, more comfortable seating, and a dedicated guide. To answer your question, I am likely to have one or two drinks. Wife the same. I think the "comfort factor" is what would move the needle for me. Is it a better view, a lot less crowded, etc., etc? If the only advantage is bad booze and chicken fingers--I'm out. That's why I'm hoping some of ya'll have done it both ways and can comment.

Thank you for responding!

"Steerage" from the WPYTRR site:

Friendly-Knowledgable-Onboard-Guides.jpg

"Luxury" from the Princess shore excursions site:

SGY_210_1.jpg

We'll be using Chilkoot Tours for the second time (train up, van back) this summer. There is an interesting thread on the Alaska Board right now (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2597683#post55264590) about Dyea Dave passengers booking directly with the railroad this summer.

Thank you for the mention, it was very stressful for some reason this time....now I'm worried because Dyea Dave is supposed to pick us up at 720 am for the 740 am departure and I'm fearful we won't be off the ship in time.

"Steerage" from the WPYTRR site:

Friendly-Knowledgable-Onboard-Guides.jpg

"Luxury" from the Princess shore excursions site:

SGY_210_1.jpg

OMG, that is so funny. Look how happy everyone in the bottom photo looks and how not happy the "steerage" photo people are. I know the bottom one is staged, but that is classic. Thanks so much for the photos. They are helpful.

Waste of money, unless you have a bad back.

Left side for both (train up and bus down).

North side of the train for round trips, too.

There's a "headshunt" at the Pass that lets the engines "run around" the cars

to pull them back down to Skagway. The cars themselves don't turn around.

When (steam) Engine #79 goes back into service in ::crosses fingers:: 2019,

the cars won't turn around at Frazer Meadows, either. (Can't remember if

there's a short wye there to get the engine facing forwards as well the

headshunt to get it at the front)

So the left-hand windows-with-a-view going up become the right-hand

windows-with-a-view going back.

Another vote for an independent tour. We enjoyed our White Pass Summit Rail & Bus Excursion with Chilkoot Charters & Tours in 2016. We took the van up in the morning, stopping at several places along the way for fantastic photo opportunities and at Carcross for the included lunch and wildlife museum. We returned to Skagway on the train. We had our own car on the train, and there was a White Pass Railroad person on board to answer questions and provide information. After arriving back in Skagway, the driver dropped us off in town on the way to the ship at our request. It was one of our favorite tours.

After reading advice and information Cruise Critic, we chose the different travel modes (van up, train down) so we could see more of the area. If you take the train or van both ways, you see the same scenery coming and going! We felt like we had the best of both in our combo tour.

Also, taking an independent tour means a smaller group and smaller price! Both are advantages to my way of thinking.

Another vote for an independent tour. We enjoyed our White Pass Summit Rail & Bus Excursion with Chilkoot Charters & Tours in 2016. We took the van up in the morning, stopping at several places along the way for fantastic photo opportunities and at Carcross for the included lunch and wildlife museum. We returned to Skagway on the train. We had our own car on the train, and there was a White Pass Railroad person on board to answer questions and provide information. After arriving back in Skagway, the driver dropped us off in town on the way to the ship at our request. It was one of our favorite tours.

After reading advice and information Cruise Critic, we chose the different travel modes (van up, train down) so we could see more of the area. If you take the train or van both ways, you see the same scenery coming and going! We felt like we had the best of both in our combo tour.

Also, taking an independent tour means a smaller group and smaller price! Both are advantages to my way of thinking.

Spiffy! Thanks!

That's exactly what Dyea Dave has. We had a great tour. Our guide was great and tailored the stops to our requests. Price was very reasonable too.

I've done this both ways... once with Dyea Dave (train up, van/bus down) that gave us the chance to see more of the area and have lunch in a small town. It was sandwiches at a little café, $$$, but lunch anyway. Boarded at the station which is at the end of town closest to the pier -- maybe a half-mile easy walk.

The other trip, round-trip train - amazing views, interesting commentary aboard. Bottled water was provided -- we were super glad we'd picked up lunch to take with us. We boarded the train a few blocks away from the actual station.

We did the Emerald Lake Tour with Dyea Dave. It was a wonderful tour. Their buses were small (only 16-20 people) and comfortable. Our guide was very informative and he made plenty of stops for photo opps, etc. He even told us to let him know if we spotted any wildlife and he stopped the bus each time we did.

We did the bus going up. In fact, our tour took us into the Yukon territory about 75 miles to Emerald Lake & Carcross (Caribou Crossing), as well as other points of interest. We had the option of either remaining on the bus for the return trip to Skagway or taking the White Pass & Yukon Railroad from Fraser (where they dropped us off right at the train station), We absolutely loved the train ride back.

Same. Loved it. He was worth the trip alone but what beautiful scenery all the way!

Waste of money, unless you have a bad back.

Thanks for the input, King.....My wife has a terrible back. We are biting the bullet and paying for the plush seating. The whole thing would be a waste if she is miserable.