Weight limit on Cave Excursion ??

golfb4cruzing

Having visited several different cave systems that offer tours, there have been some options that have weight or height limits. The limits are due to the size of some of the passages or the headroom of the passages.

Perhaps there are some tight areas in the Green Grotto Caves and the tour operator is trying to avoid having clients that simply won't fit.

It's a cave. I wouldn't expect any Indiana Jones theatrics.

Neither would I but apparently we both have never been on this particular excursion so we do not know the specifics. Was on one excursion, not cruise related, that limited people to 200 lbs because that was the limit placed on the equipment. Another was 250 lbs. So the operator knows what is best for their excursions. The best thing to do would be to comply with them or find a different one.

My SIL is a defensive lineman and got wedged into a stairway in the tower of London. The angles were okay going up, but when he tried to go down it happened. He is 325 and 6'7", all muscle.

It was quickly resolved, but I now understand that there should be warnings as people in 2018 are much larger than men 300 years ago.

I have gone on a few cave tours where men had to turn around and go back because they could not fit into narrow passage ways. I would be happy knowing ahead of time that rope bridges or older stairs etc, are not designed to hold heavier persons. Better safe than sorry.

Looking at excursions for upcoming trip and see a new excursion on Jamaica. Green Grotto Cave and it has a weight excursion. Since when did they start putting weight limitations on things on or below ground?

Just a hunch, they want to be physically able to lift someones butt out of a hole in the earth in an emergency

Looking at excursions for upcoming trip and see a new excursion on Jamaica. Green Grotto Cave and it has a weight excursion. Since when did they start putting weight limitations on things on or below ground?

Is it the one with a 375 pound weight excursion?

Maybe it’s because if you get stuck they have a strong enough block and tackle device to pull you up out of the cave.

Good luck.

Cruise lines generally have stringent insurance requirements for their tour providers. In some cases it is the insurance carriers that impose weight limits. Not sure if that is the issue here...but its a possibility.

Hank