Help! Booking 20 y/o and 21 y/o in their own cabin...

L1211

First time Carnival cruiser. When searching on a big box site, it states at least one person must be 25 years old in each room. I'm going solo this time, Taking the girls on their college spring break. I have no interest in sharing a room! We've only sailed NCL and always booked our girls into their own stateroom, neither is 25. Seems a bit strict. Anyone have experience with this? Seems to discourage booking multiple rooms for a family, which doesn't makes sense. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First time Carnival cruiser. When searching on a big box site, it states at least one person must be 25 years old in each room. I'm going solo this time, Taking the girls on their college spring break. I have no interest in sharing a room! We've only sailed NCL and always booked our girls into their own stateroom, neither is 25. Seems a bit strict. Anyone have experience with this? Seems to discourage booking multiple rooms for a family, which doesn't makes sense. Thanks!

I think it's ok as long as you book both cabins at the same time. Try searching... someone had posted restrictions on where the other cabin could be. Something like kids under 18 had to be in a cabin near by, but "kids" over 18 could be farther away.

Guests Under the Age of 21 MUST travel with a relative or guardian of 25 years of age or older

The guardian does not need to be a legal guardian.

The bookings must be cross-referenced with the relative or guardian’s stateroom and documented properly.

Guests who are 21 to 24 years of age may travel with their minor children.

Minors Traveling Together: The policy is slightly different because of stricter guidelines as follows:

Must have 1 chaperone for every 8 minors

Prepaid gratuities per minor are due at final payment

8 or more staterooms must be booked through the Group Department and a $100 damage deposit per minor will be charged.

Traveling with a Minor

When traveling with a minor where one parent or both parents or legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent(s) or legal guardians authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security.

Where minor guests can be booked in relation to relative or guardian:

Guests 12 and younger

If the relative or guardian insists on booking separate staterooms, minors must either be directly across the hall or next door. Guests 12 and under may not be assigned to a balcony stateroom without a relative or guardian (25 years of age or older).

Guests 13 - 17 years of age

Can be booked up to 3 staterooms away from a relative or guardian (25 years of age or older).

Guests 18 – 20 years of age

Do not have any restrictions and may book whatever location they prefer.

Exceptions: Guests under the age of 21 may travel without a relative or guardian of 25 years of age or older under the following conditions:

Legally married couples, including same gender couples

Proper documentation must be provided at embarkation. Failure to provide documentation or not conforming to this policy will result in denied boarding and no compensation will be provided.

Documentation includes: marriage license issued by the County Clerk’s Office; legal proof of civil union; for newly married couples: a copy of the marriage license application or certificate signed by the official that performed the ceremony.

Qualified Military Personnel

Applies to US Military Personnel and Canadian National Defense personnel (and their traveling companions in the same stateroom) of 18 – 20 years of age.

Copy of proof of service must be provided at embarkation. Failure to provide documentation or not conforming to this policy will result in denied boarding and no compensation will be provided.

From the Carnival website:

MINOR GUEST POLICY

Guests are required to be 21 years of age (on embarkation day) to travel on their own. Guest ages will be verified at embarkation. Guests not conforming to this policy will result in denied boarding and no compensation will be provided at embarkation.

Guests Under the Age of 21 MUST travel with a relative or guardian of 25 years of age or older

• The guardian does not need to be a legal guardian.
  • The bookings must be cross-referenced with the relative or guardian’s stateroom and documented properly.
  • Guests who are 21 to 24 years of age may travel with their minor children.

I assume these are your daughters? So you are fine, since their booking will be linked to yours.

Call Carnival directly. My husband and I had a cabin and put our daughters (ages 17 and 23) down the hall (quite a ways down the hall) in a porthole cabin. They loved it!

That's encouraging. Thank you.

From the Carnival website:

I assume these are your daughters? So you are fine, since their booking will be linked to yours.

One is my daughter, the 21 y/o. The other her friend. Not sure if that matters? I'm booking both rooms together.

The guardian does not need to be a legal guardian.

The bookings must be cross-referenced with the relative or guardian’s stateroom and documented properly.

Guests who are 21 to 24 years of age may travel with their minor children.

Minors Traveling Together: The policy is slightly different because of stricter guidelines as follows:

Must have 1 chaperone for every 8 minors

Prepaid gratuities per minor are due at final payment

8 or more staterooms must be booked through the Group Department and a $100 damage deposit per minor will be charged.

Traveling with a Minor

When traveling with a minor where one parent or both parents or legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent(s) or legal guardians authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security.

Where minor guests can be booked in relation to relative or guardian:

Guests 12 and younger

If the relative or guardian insists on booking separate staterooms, minors must either be directly across the hall or next door. Guests 12 and under may not be assigned to a balcony stateroom without a relative or guardian (25 years of age or older).

Guests 13 - 17 years of age

Can be booked up to 3 staterooms away from a relative or guardian (25 years of age or older).

Guests 18 – 20 years of age

Do not have any restrictions and may book whatever location they prefer.

Exceptions: Guests under the age of 21 may travel without a relative or guardian of 25 years of age or older under the following conditions:

Legally married couples, including same gender couples

Proper documentation must be provided at embarkation. Failure to provide documentation or not conforming to this policy will result in denied boarding and no compensation will be provided.

Documentation includes: marriage license issued by the County Clerk’s Office; legal proof of civil union; for newly married couples: a copy of the marriage license application or certificate signed by the official that performed the ceremony.

Qualified Military Personnel

Applies to US Military Personnel and Canadian National Defense personnel (and their traveling companions in the same stateroom) of 18 – 20 years of age.

Copy of proof of service must be provided at embarkation. Failure to provide documentation or not conforming to this policy will result in denied boarding and no compensation will be provided.

I read this online and wasn't sure what "bookings cross referenced with" means. Maybe if I'm booking both staterooms for myself and the girls

It is fine.

I read this online and wasn't sure what "bookings cross referenced with" means. Maybe if I'm booking both staterooms for myself and the girls

It is fine.

It just means the bookings are linked together and they aren’t cruising alone,you are their guardian.

The nice part, if you don’t want them close by,you can book their cabins anywhere on the ship,since they are over 18.

Yes, that matters. You may need to book the friend in with you, and then switch rooms once onboard.

That’s not necessary. My kids are now 22 & 19. We’ve cruised every summer for the past 8 years and they always bring a friend. I book them in their own room, near me. Last summer, two 21 yr olds & one 18 year old in their own room. No need to do the switching of keys and re arranging. If you can’t book it online, call Carnival and they will do it for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Again as someone earlier suggested:

Have the absent parents sign for them to cruise. Homeland security is getting more and more picky about the letters. It is NOT as people think the cruise line.

This may be true for 18 and under, but I don’t think it applies to legal adults.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This may be true for 18 and under, but I don’t think it applies to legal adults.

OP:

Twilzeraddict provides the correct information. In summary: as long as you’re over 25 and traveling with them and acting as guardian, the two girls can be in any cabin on the ship.

I would double check with DDs friend about her travel docs. If she and her family have not cruises before they may not be aware of the requirements and if you are handling everything, it could easily be overlooked.

It just means the bookings are linked together and they aren’t cruising alone,you are their guardian.

The nice part, if you don’t want them close by,you can book their cabins anywhere on the ship,since they are over 18.

Now that is encouraging. Thinking a large OV for them and balcony for me. Would be a few floors apart. Thanks for the reply!

That’s not necessary. My kids are now 22 & 19. We’ve cruised every summer for the past 8 years and they always bring a friend. I book them in their own room, near me. Last summer, two 21 yr olds & one 18 year old in their own room. No need to do the switching of keys and re arranging. If you can’t book it online, call Carnival and they will do it for you.

What documentation was required for the adult friend? Anything from the parents? Honestly given she's 20 I

Wasn't thinking about it. We're taking to youngest's 18 y/o friend on Harmony of the Seas two weeks later. I need to do some more homework!!! I was just thinking they are finally "adults".

What documentation was required for the adult friend? Anything from the parents? Honestly given she's 20 I

Wasn't thinking about it. We're taking to youngest's 18 y/o friend on Harmony of the Seas two weeks later. I need to do some more homework!!! I was just thinking they are finally "adults".

They are adults. The only requirement is that they have their reservation linked with yours as their "guardian." No additional paperwork necessary.

No documentation is necessary from parents, for adults 18 or over. They simply need passport or BC/ID. My daughter’s boyfriend has traveled with us since he was 19 and all he’s ever needed is his own identification.