Cabo safety for single cruiser

MJU

I am a "young" 70ish female thinking about cruising alone. My husband and I are seasoned cruisers (Princess Elite). My husband has become physically challenged and I have become his caregiver and I need a rest and miss cruising. I thought I would start with a short cruise and found the 5 day to Cabo for next year. I found a You Tube video of a couple who cruised to Cabo and were so frightened they only stayed 45 minutes. Is this port still scary - do you think I would be frightened if I stayed with shipboard excursions - I really want to take the whale watching excursions as that is what attracted me to this cruise? All opinions welcomed and thanks in advance.

I think you will be fine if you want to book with ship excursions.

Enjoy your cruise - it sounds like you really need the break. I wouldn't worry. I think you would be fine otherwise but the ship excursion will give you some more piece of mind. Cabo has military/police that are very present in the city. They look intimidating but they are trying to keep the port safe.

If you're concerned about safety in Cabo, just keep within the harbor area of shops and restaurants. They are all within a safe compound like area and have everything you'll need.

Wandering out can be sketchy though we've never had any problems.

I cannot imagine what could be scary in Cabo??? It is a sanitized American feeling town with tons of tourists everywhere. You Tube is a terrible place to get travel info. People post all sorts of horrible pix !!

Glad you are going on the cruise!!

I cannot imagine what could be scary in Cabo??? It is a sanitized American feeling town with tons of tourists everywhere. You Tube is a terrible place to get travel info. People post all sorts of horrible pix !!

Glad you are going on the cruise!!

Yes, that is pretty much Cabo and I think the criminal element feeds off of that. I was on a cruise & while at the purser's desk a couple came up & said they had been robbed. Purser's response was "here in Cabo?" Just be aware of your surroundings in any tourist area.

People get scared because there's a lot of vendors out on the street trying to push people into their shop. It's like a huge garage sale. But there is a strong police and military presence if you keep within the limits of the tourist area even beyond the port compound; it is perfectly safe, but not exactly necessary for you to go out if you're not out looking for trinkets to purchase.

There is really nothing scary in Cabo, unless it is the traffic. Be care when crossing the street. As a solo, you could consider cruising on Norwegian, especially on a ship (such as Bliss) that has studio cabins. It's easy to meet plenty of other solo travelers. It's fun to make friends with whom you can wander around in port.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Glad u made decision...but why wait...some short cruises are available out of SP in March 2018.......

If you call yourself a seasoned cruiser.....then you know the ropes..walk confidently and with purpose at any destination port, take ship excursions..also sign on to your roll call.....you might find a couple of other solos who you can share a dinner or 2 with..

Now , your query...is Cabo safe?...I was just there in December...it is a beautiful tender port, if u have booked a suite then you can simply stay on the ship and enjoy the beautiful view from your balcony.....since your cruise "ports" over night you can do the same for the evening....and enjoy the lights.

How do I feel when walking in in Cabo.....let's see I have probably gone there10 times on cruises over the last 15 years....Hurricane Odile in 2014, tied for the most intense hurricane on record to strike Mexico's Baja Peninsula. The Category 3 hurricane packed sustained winds of 125 mph, Cabo really took a hit....I mentioned this because....so much of the port and surrounding area has been rebuilt and improved...However...Lover's beach has lost tremendous beach frontage:(

But back to your concern safety.....never have blinked twice going to Cabo for all these years......however, .have only left the immediate port area by boat....have dove and snorkeled..so spend most of our time in the water..... Princess recent Mexican Rivera itinerary(adding Mazatlan back )spends very few hours there( something like 7-1pm)....so on our last few cruises after the hurricane we have taken ship excursions, just because of limited time.

When they first introduced the 5 day Cabo itinerary a few years ago ...I actually booked it....because I enjoy Cabo that much....

Just be alert.... like you are anywhere in the world when you travel...

In Cabo most vendors speak English, many have been born and educated in the states...so you will have no problems communicating if you have a concern.

Sooner than later.......is my vote...........

I am in the same age range and I routinely cruise by myself. Since I live in the Los Angeles area I've done many (I think 20) cruises to the Mexican riviera. (the last less than a year ago)

I routinely get off the ship in Cabo and just walk around the shops and stuff (I usually wander pretty far) and I've never been bothered

if you take a shore excursion Princess will not take you ashore (or for that matter dock-its a tender port so anchor) in a port that is unsafe

Enjoy your cruise, I love cruising solo

There is really nothing scary in Cabo, unless it is the traffic. Be care when crossing the street. As a solo, you could consider cruising on Norwegian, especially on a ship (such as Bliss) that has studio cabins. It's easy to meet plenty of other solo travelers. It's fun to make friends with whom you can wander around in port.

I agree, after porting in PV, we shared breakfast with a couple from the Mid-west who asked us if we were concerned about getting off the ship do to safety..... That evening we saw the couple again and asked them what they ended up doing...they said they went over to Walmart....I though to myself the one thing that I am most concerned when traveling in Mexico is crossing busy streets and being hit by a car and that was exactly what they chose to do.....Each to his own.....

However, these port cities not wanting to lose tourism have...really improved on safety measures the last few years from more police presence and giving hefty citations to drivers....when ships are in port....

I have gone to Cabo many many times. Cabo caters to the American tourists. It isn't really a Mexican town that the Americans "discovered." It seems to have been built for tourism.

I have been to restaurants, I have gone out on tour boats and water taxis, I have been on the pedicabs and in taxicabs. I have gone out with scuba operators. I have been in grocery stores and convenience stores and jewelry stores and souvenir stores and legitimate pharmacies. I have never had any problems with the locals.

I know of people who have gotten completely drunk and made fools of themselves. Sometimes, such fools do end up with their wallets missing. They can also miss the ship!

I know people who have made terribly foolish mistakes involving drugs. People purporting to sell illegal drugs are generally not to be trusted, so I do not understand why idiots are shocked when their criminal deals go wrong. Some of the drug pushers are really hold-up men, who steal the money that the tourist was offering to pay for illegal drugs. Some of the drug pushers are really selling fake drugs. Some of the drug pushers are really working hand-in-glove with local police, who will arrest the buyer confiscate the money and return the drugs to the drug pusher. So don't try to buy illegal drugs!

As a 70 year old woman, you don't need to be warned that some of the prostitutes are thieves, who might drug and steal from their Johns.

Unless you engage in risky behavior, Cabo is a fine tourist town. Be sensible and have a wonderful time. Part of being sensible: there is no need to go out after dark! Be back on board the ship by dark, and enjoy the amenities on board.

The cruise lines would never take to a port if they felt it were unsafe or dangerous. I took a cruise last October that stopped in Cabo and I never felt unsafe as I generally stay in the tourist areas and beaches. Clearly you don't want to wander off the beaten path or areas without any purpose. The Marina area is where the tenders from the ship drops you off and as long as stay within that area you should be fine. Tons of passengers and tourist in that area. Of course you could just take a Princess tour for extra sense of security. Tourism very important to Mexico and the locals are very friendly and kind. Most of the crime (rare) toward tourist is petty theft. Clearly don't wear expense jewelry and only bring enough cash that you plan to spend and maybe a credit card for purchases/emergency. Leave valuables in your cabin's safe. Most of the major crime you hear about is with drug cartels and unless you plan to buy or sell drugs then you chances of being a victim of crime is very low.

I've cruised to Cabo 2 times alone (my husband had emergency work issue once and 2nd time he was sick)...best place to be if alone!!! I even went to Cabo Wabo cantina alone! I walked to it alone from the pier...no problem...Had a great time, no worries. I was 60 years old at the time...just do it! lol

Essentially I agree with the gist of most posters, but do keep in mind that in spite of the rosy "Mexico values their tourists" picture, there has been a marked increase in crime across Mexico over the past year, including areas traditionally not involved, like Cabo.

Statistically the areas in which a tourist would encounter the extra risk are in places where drugs are changing hands -- so I'm guessing unlikely for OP to be an issue. But nightclubs can be an issue -- a friend was severely injured last year in the chaos of a cartel shooting at a music festival in Cancun. It can happen, so be mindful that there is some additional risks lately, and to make smart choices about where you venture. The Cabo marina area is one of those areas that one can expect to safely visit. We will be on this itinerary next month, and everyone in our group is aware to stick to the main tourist area and to be alert.

And add me to the chorus of "go for the suite"!! I was the care giver for my Dad, and now my mom. -- both with severe dementia. You definitely deserve the break. Caring for someone 24/7 is physically, mentally and emotionally exhausting. You need to be pampered. That's why we booked a suite too!!

I am a "young" 70ish female thinking about cruising alone. My husband and I are seasoned cruisers (Princess Elite). My husband has become physically challenged and I have become his caregiver and I need a rest and miss cruising. I thought I would start with a short cruise and found the 5 day to Cabo for next year. I found a You Tube video of a couple who cruised to Cabo and were so frightened they only stayed 45 minutes. Is this port still scary - do you think I would be frightened if I stayed with shipboard excursions - I really want to take the whale watching excursions as that is what attracted me to this cruise? All opinions welcomed and thanks in advance.

There is nothing to be scared about.

i have always cruised single,firstly my partner, now deceased was too sick to travel.I always keep to Princess Excursions and hang around with the group.We all keep an eye on one another.I remember one day on excursion in Shanghai I was suddenly pushed forward.I turned around and there was a pan handler type really close to my back I had not heard him creep up.One of the group pushed me away from him.:D

I am 65 and cruised a 7 day Mexican Riviera a year ago. In Cabo I got off the tender and walked along the waterfront and over to The Office, a favourite restaurant and had a mango smoothie. Then I shopped in their great store across the street and walked back to the ship. Never felt unsafe and had a wonderful time.

I just wanted to ad this little bit. I know you're nervous and you also would love to go whale watching.

The good news is you pick up the excursion right in the harbor where the tender drops you off. It takes you out to where the whales are, usually cruises around the Arches a bit also for your photo ops and then drops you back off in the safe harbor area. That area has all the shops, bars and restaurants you'll need. Now we never had any trouble in town ever but there's no need for you to be uncomfortable. You can do everything you want without going into the main town.

Have a great cruise!:)