Copy of Passport OK in Caribbean?

SeymourKopath

We always lock our passports in the stateroom's safe as soon as we're on board, and don't take them out until we're ready to leave the ship at the end of our cruise. I've read on these forums that its a good idea to take your passport with you when you go ashore at a port stop, just in case something happens and you need it. I've also read posts that some people just take a photocopy of the information pages when going ashore.

We'll be on a Caribbean cruise soon. None of the ports requires a visa. None of the ports requires passengers to carry their passports ashore. Nonetheless, I like the idea of carrying it "just in case."

Suppose the worst happens and we miss the ship for whatever reason. Would a photocopy of our passports' information pages suffice for getting us through the formalities of catching up with the ship (or flying home)? Well, that and a bit of cash! ;)

We are US citizens.

Some people feel better taking a copy of their passport with them.

We don't do this and it is technically not official.

If your passport is in your safe and you miss the ship they will give your passport to the local port agent.

I would have money with you and credit cards.

No right or wrong here.

Keith

Sadly, a photocopy of your passport will not help you get back to the states if you should miss the ship. Should something happen to you, supposedly they would let someone back onto the ship to gather your personal belongings. Make sure whomsoever this person might be, they understand you will need your passport. A friend had a health issue and was taken off a ship recently and although they thought they had everything they needed (cruise ship sent everything else home to them later), she did not have her purse and thus did not have the keys to their vehicle when they got back home :( Hard to think straight in that situation, and missing the ship would be likewise.

Having a copy might make is slightly easier to fill out the paperwork at a consulate or embassy to get a replacement passport, but a copy is not sufficient for you to fly from a foreign country back to the US.

Your passport is not necessary in most Carribean ports. I wouldn't take mine with me unless it was absolutely necessary, or unless I was planning on venturing far away from the ship on an excursion I didn't book through Princess. Most places of interest in ports are less than a 10-15 minutes taxi ride from the ports.

As others have noted, making a photocopy may ease getting a replacement passport done at a consulate.

Fun story tho, one of my friends was allowed back into the secure area at Cozumel using only his Costco card as ID. I'm under the impression that they don't really check.

Several Caribbean ports require a government issued ID. We carry a driver's licence with our cruise card onshore. Our passports remain locked in the safe.

If you feel more comfortable with having the information with you, you can always take a picture of the main page and store it on your phone.

The important thing is to have the port agent information that is printed in the Patter.

I tear that corner out and stuff it in my purse ... just in case

Good idea!! Or you could take a photo of it on your phone.

For US citizens, passports are not required for closed loop cruises in the Caribbean. Travel can proceed for these citizens with only a birth certificate and a govt issued photo ID.

So...no...there is no need to take a passport ashore. We never do. Cuba would be an exception.

The choice is, as always, yours.

I can’t imagine what you would want your passport on shore for. The only people who have a legitimate need for your passport are border agents. I prefer not to have my passport available for confiscation by local police in countries with questionable constabularies. I carry a scanned copy on my phone. If someone needs more than that from me I don’t need to deal with them (merchants). As for going home, your home country can verify your citizenship in minutes at a border.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is an app called Mobile Passport for your phone

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Mobile Passport is only for returning to the US and only available at selected ports and airports. You can only activate it 4 hours before going thru passport control.

Its a good idea to jot down the name and phone # for the local port agent. The info is listed on the daily newsletter. It lists the port your are visiting and the port agent#. If you think you may not make it back on time; call the port agent. They will have time to get your passports and have them at the station; and they will let ships security know that you may not make it back

For US citizens, passports are not required for closed loop cruises in the Caribbean. Travel can proceed for these citizens with only a birth certificate and a govt issued photo ID.

...until / unless Murphy's Law strikes and you need to get on an airliner. Ask the

passengers that had to evacuate M/S Monarch of the Seas when it grounded in

St Maarten.

Are they still there?

RCCL flew them home in 1998 if they had or got a passport. ;p

Hmmm... Does anyone know how long it takes or how much it costs

to get an initial (never had one before) passport from a US consulate

in a foreign port?

RCCL flew them home in 1998 if they had or got a passport. ;p

Hmmm... Does anyone know how long it takes or how much it costs

to get an initial (never had one before) passport from a US consulate

in a foreign port?

This web site may answer some of your questions:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/emergencies/lost-stolen-passport-abroad.html