Danube water levels 2018 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

Is it only me having too high expectations ?   We signed up for a river cruise.  We expect to spend time cruising on the rivers, not riding a bus across Europe.   Viking commercials, even the ad at the top of this page, show boats cruising on rivers, not busses driving around Europe.    A short ship swap is one event, totally missing significant parts of the itinerary, like Wachau and Danube Bend and nightime cruise through Budapest, is a totally different thing.  I realize that river levels are a natural phenomenon, but clearly this is no surprise.  It has been happening for months, and yet, at least Viking, has not been very open about the impacts.  They refuse to provide details regarding recent cruise "adjustments", this board is a more accurate source than the cruise line. Seems their strategy is to get you on the boat, then tell you you're screwed.  What happened to the 100% satisfaction guarantee?

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Jcat2010 said:

Is it only me having too high expectations ?   We signed up for a river cruise.  We expect to spend time cruising on the rivers, not riding a bus across Europe.   Viking commercials, even the ad at the top of this page, show boats cruising on rivers, not busses driving around Europe.    A short ship swap is one event, totally missing significant parts of the itinerary, like Wachau and Danube Bend and nightime cruise through Budapest, is a totally different thing.  I realize that river levels are a natural phenomenon, but clearly this is no surprise.  It has been happening for months, and yet, at least Viking, has not been very open about the impacts.  They refuse to provide details regarding recent cruise "adjustments", this board is a more accurate source than the cruise line. Seems their strategy is to get you on the boat, then tell you you're screwed.  What happened to the 100% satisfaction guarantee?

I am with you. I did not sign up for a bus tour of Belgium and the Netherlands as AMA has apparently done on some routes instead of a Christmas cruise on the Rhine. Maybe some customers will accept an itinerary that changed. I am not one of them.

• Like 4

It is very difficult because I am sure I can see in all the brochures small print that it says something like "your itinerary may change and we cannot guarantee any ports". Though is this just a cop out and you can still complain for a refund? Certainly most cruise lines charge a lot more than a simple bus tour would cost.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Jcat2010 said:

A short ship swap is one event, totally missing significant parts of the itinerary, like Wachau and Danube Bend and nightime cruise through Budapest, is a totally different thing. 

As far as I know all boats this summer (still continuing) between Passau and Vienna have gone round the bend and up the Wachau. Also many who have been bussed to Budapesta have had a dinner cruise to see the illuminations.

1 hour ago, Jcat2010 said:

I wasn’t on Viking, but my last night in Budapest I ran into a couple that had been. They were ship swapped and bussed quite a bit and not Particularly pleased.  No hotel room in Budapest, just transferred to another Viking ship. 

So no , you are not alone. Most cruisers on my cruise were not aware of the water levels.  First hint was a few days before changing the embarkation port. Luckily that didn’t happen. 

Good luck. 

1 hour ago, Jcat2010 said:

Is it only me having too high expectations ?   We signed up for a river cruise.  We expect to spend time cruising on the rivers, not riding a bus across Europe.   Viking commercials, even the ad at the top of this page, show boats cruising on rivers, not busses driving around Europe.    

I would also go in knowing that Viking did not cause this disruption, mother nature did. I have no doubt Viking wants to do the original itinerary as much as you do. Any compensation is purely a good gesture of Viking (or whatever cruise line) and is not necessary unless the cruise has been cancelled. I have had regular cruises switched around entirely due to hurricanes, etc... It is a lot more extra work for the companies when weather conditions (river conditions) are not ideal.

31 minutes ago, G.M.T. said:

Maybe this is the answer for cruise lines, a combined cruise and bus tour:

image.png.98cd52aaae20256bf7c9c8126cafbcc5.png

image.png.46e9df5a774de5e073a6a1ca8eb00c36.png

Here in the US - we had a duck/boat that sinked near Branson, MO. 17 people died. I have been on them before and wasn't thrilled with the vehicle. After this incident, I won't go on them again. https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/20/us/missouri-duck-boat-incident-victims/index.html 

Edited by Coral

Hmm, I think I would place more trust in the first vehicle, than in the bus. I saw the bus in the river at Budapest. It swayed a bit and just did not look safe. Not for me.

Talking of alternative transport: apart from the Budapest Illuminations cruise I have not read about the use of other excursion boats. Are the distances that need to be covered too great for the small boats to make it worthwhile, I wonder?

notamermaid

2 hours ago, G.M.T. said:

As far as I know all boats this summer (still continuing) between Passau and Vienna have gone round the bend and up the Wachau. Also many who have been bussed to Budapesta have had a dinner cruise to see the illuminations.

We were able to sail through the Wachau bend, however (due to the morning's bus ride) it was at night - so no one could see it.  Very disappointing.

Question to experienced/local experts - Ama Viola ship from Nuremberg/Regensberg/Passau/Melk/Vienna/Budapest.

Looks like some interruption/itinerary change is a surety.  From an AMA size ship perspective what are the difficult/not passable spots ?  If there are going to be alternate bus options, want to be mentally prepared (travelling with 4 year old as well) and be equipped.  Journey begins Dec 7, hoping for better circumstances but want to be aware of options as well.  Expecting documents this week but so far no emails or communication regarding any change to the itinerary.

14 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

I utilized Google. Translation:

Pfelling

shipwreck on the Danube: Two freight ships are stuck

I was going to say It Never Rains But It Pours, but we all know it doesn't.

Not to worry, this ship accident will not impact cruises, as this is the area that cruise boats cannot pass as it is very shallow at present. Cruise passengers are bussed around this area Regensburg / Straubing - Passau / Vilshofen.

PS. Just seen that the dateline from the article is 25th. June 2018, I'm too quick for my own good.

Edited by G.M.T.

45 minutes ago, Trvlcrazy said:

Question to experienced/local experts - Ama Viola ship from Nuremberg/Regensberg/Passau/Melk/Vienna/Budapest.

Looks like some interruption/itinerary change is a surety.  From an AMA size ship perspective what are the difficult/not passable spots ?  If there are going to be alternate bus options, want to be mentally prepared (travelling with 4 year old as well) and be equipped.  Journey begins Dec 7, hoping for better circumstances but want to be aware of options as well.  Expecting documents this week but so far no emails or communication regarding any change to the itinerary.

Suggest you read the last weeks messages on this board, this will give you a very good idea about local conditions and what other cruise passengers have experienced.

Trvlcrazy

The water levels are changing, even as I write this, but there are a few "constants" along the route you mention. In fact, you'll be a day ahead of us, so keep in touch.   Nuremberg to Regensburg has not been an issue so far.   Past Regensburg, to Passau has been hit or miss.  Few ships have sailed through.  After Passau it is again it or miss until around Melk/Ybbs.  From there, sailing through to Vienna has been consistently good.    From Vienna to Budapest has been very eratic.  Week to week it changes.   The issue seems to be not will you sail all the way through (not a high probability as of now), but how many swaps/bus trips, and for how long (Vienna to Budapest is 4 hrs by bus; Regensburg to Passau only a bit over an hour) 

Have been reading every single post since September my friend.  Jcat2010, much appreciated for that information, exactly what I am looking for.  I have not come across any Ama Viola cruisers plus the Christmas market cruises have not started yet.  I make copious notes but my precise ship and itinerary does not have many people chiming in so not exactly the same. But I will continue to watch the boards...

On 11/11/2018 at 3:01 PM, K9pal said:

We were told that Viking would contact us with details concerning compensation.  Unfortunately, the program director had no further details other than we could expect some sort of compensation.  I'm sure it will be in the form of a discount on a future cruise :classic_wink:

UPDATE:  Just received notification that a voucher for $500/pp towards a future cruise is on the way.  Happy with that!

2 hours ago, Trvlcrazy said:

Have been reading every single post since September my friend.  Jcat2010, much appreciated for that information, exactly what I am looking for.  I have not come across any Ama Viola cruisers plus the Christmas market cruises have not started yet.  I make copious notes but my precise ship and itinerary does not have many people chiming in so not exactly the same. But I will continue to watch the boards...

If you have specific questions about the Danube, river levels, ports and Christmas markets - just ask.

• Like 1

Just returned from Viking Budapest to Nuremburg November 3-10.  We were one of the last ships allowed out of Budapest and lightly scraped bottom later that day.  I had a group of 32 and was hoping for the best!  Switched ships on Passau day and hardly noticed it, Viking did a great job making the transition seamless.  My group had a great time despite the single switch.  Feel bad for those who had to change ships more than us, however, Viking is trying to adapt to conditions.  Kudos to our Cruise Director Dawn for her great coordination of our trip!

• Like 1

We are booked on a scenic Christmas market cruise, Budapest to Amsterdam departing on the 21st of November.  I am very concerned with the updates on the river levels.  Does anyone know if scenic tours have made it through in recent weeks?  I hope not to be on a bus tour instead of a river tour. 

11 hours ago, worldtraveller99 said:

It is very difficult because I am sure I can see in all the brochures small print that it says something like "your itinerary may change and we cannot guarantee any ports". Though is this just a cop out and you can still complain for a refund? Certainly most cruise lines charge a lot more than a simple bus tour would cost.

That's correct. Regardless of legislation/terms/conditions people are paying up front for a premium product and service. If that is not being delivered that is not right in anyone's language or culture. Pay up and take your chances???   

1 hour ago, pully8 said:

That's correct. Regardless of legislation/terms/conditions people are paying up front for a premium product and service. If that is not being delivered that is not right in anyone's language or culture. Pay up and take your chances???   

Pretty much.  The business practices of the cruise lines are pretty clear.  With the current fare structures the risk for alternative arrangements due to weather is pretty much on the passenger (with the potential for some token compensation).

With that arrangement the ships have been filling and more ships are being added every year.  The only way that it will change is if the passengers decide that they are not willing to book without additional protections.

Otherwise as you put it pay up and take your chances that your trip might involve alternative arrangements.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jcat2010 said:

Trvlcrazy

The water levels are changing, even as I write this, but there are a few "constants" along the route you mention. In fact, you'll be a day ahead of us, so keep in touch.   Nuremberg to Regensburg has not been an issue so far.   Past Regensburg, to Passau has been hit or miss.  Few ships have sailed through.  After Passau it is again it or miss until around Melk/Ybbs.  From there, sailing through to Vienna has been consistently good.    From Vienna to Budapest has been very eratic.  Week to week it changes.   The issue seems to be not will you sail all the way through (not a high probability as of now), but how many swaps/bus trips, and for how long (Vienna to Budapest is 4 hrs by bus; Regensburg to Passau only a bit over an hour) 

Great information thank due. Due to leave Budapest on AMA on 24 November to Amsterdam. Just going with the flow - so to speak!

It's misty along the Danube, later sunny spells. No rain predicted for the next 5 days, just sunny spells, although it is getting colder, frost from Thursday down to minus 6°C.

Although the Danube rivers are low, they have not fallen further for the last week, they are remaining constant (even if low).

The Danube is suffering low levels and the volume of water flowing in it, which is moving slower as normal. If we get a cold snap then the Danube would freeze quicker, if the ice is thick enough it would close the locks.

This photo was taken January 2017 in Vilshofen:

image.thumb.jpeg.665532f028f5c8c9f0f0df6e6d561dff.jpeg

• Like 1

G.M.T.,

that is a beautiful winter photo, thanks. Your comment makes me wonder, with the Rhine so low, could we get to a state of the river potentially freezing over, as used to happen? The Rhine is very fast flowing and relatively warm but a cold spell... Who knows? I think I will ask around. But at the moment, we still have temperatures above ten degrees and frost later in the week will only happen in the higher hills.

notamermaid