Poll - Should gratuities be included in the basic cost of a cruise?

AnOnymously

Should gratuities be incorporated int o the basic price of a cruise?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Should gratuities be incorporated int o the basic price of a cruise?

• Yes
    • No

Dont think the CEO of P&O will take much notice of a poll of less than 200 especially with 15000+ people cruising with them every week. They will take more interest in the number who remove auto gratuities every cruise.

Probably not but for the limited number that have responded it gives a definite answer....question is would it give the same answer if it was scaled up.

As you say if everyone removed auto grats they would respond very quickly.....

I should not be surprised if P&O keep files on passengers and what they do and treat certain types of passenger they identify, in a better or not so good way.

Regards John

I have voted no although truthfully they are included in the fare because they are on your account. A friend of ours and a management employee of a competitor of P&O told us that there is an accounting/tax reason it is done this way but truthfully his recounting of the number sealed unmarked envelopes presented as containing a tip and that were later found to be empty may have had something to do with it. He further explained that there exists a list available to staff indicating passengers who had cancelled their tips.

We have always considered the "charged" tips as part of our fare cost and have then personally offered gratuities wherever we thought it was warranted.

I have voted no although truthfully they are included in the fare because they are on your account. A friend of ours and a management employee of a competitor of P&O told us that there is an accounting/tax reason it is done this way but truthfully his recounting of the number sealed unmarked envelopes presented as containing a tip and that were later found to be empty may have had something to do with it. He further explained that there exists a list available to staff indicating passengers who had cancelled their tips.

We have always considered the "charged" tips as part of our fare cost and have then personally offered gratuities wherever we thought it was warranted.

These unfounded rumours have circulated on cruise lines for years. P&O unlike American cruise lines in the past did not have auto gratuities but used to leave envelopes in your cabin at the end of the cruise for you to give tips in cash. Many still prefer to do it this way so remove auto gratuities and it would be very irresponsible if the cruise line gave out lists of those who had removed auto gratuities in case they gave poor service in case they were then not given what they were going to get in cash.

Thanks for sharing your information.

These unfounded rumours have circulated on cruise lines for years. P&O unlike American cruise lines in the past did not have auto gratuities but used to leave envelopes in your cabin at the end of the cruise for you to give tips in cash. Many still prefer to do it this way so remove auto gratuities and it would be very irresponsible if the cruise line gave out lists of those who had removed auto gratuities in case they gave poor service in case they were then not given what they were going to get in cash.

The,American lines did not always have auto gratuities. From 1985 to 2005 we cruised extensively with Princess, only switching to P&O when we could no longer fly. For most of this time Princess also left envelopes in the cabin for tips along with a note suggesting how much we should tip this only changed when they introduced anytime dining.

Dont think the CEO of P&O will take much notice of a poll of less than 200 especially with 15000+ people cruising with them every week. They will take more interest in the number who remove auto gratuities every cruise.

I do like people who have an optimistic view on life.

Little time left to vote.

Sometimes it only takes 1 person with determination to get things changed.

Good luck.

That is so true....probably if this is just a one off vote then P&O will take no notice but maybe...just maybe....if AnOnymously kept repeating this voting platform and kept sending the results to P&O they may decide to try and rid themselves of this " thorn in the side" and respond.

... and we can all add a sentence at the end of every questionnaire.

Plus - send a message via ‘Contact Us’ on the P&O website, or email Christopher Edgington, if you wish, or any other suitable individual.

A poll with a self-selected small constituency is one thing, constant drip-drip of individuals taking time to put forward their view, rather than just grumbling on a message board is another

Hi...that is another way...the drip drip approach...wears away stone doesn't it. A few years ago I took on a big travel company regarding T&Cs at time of booking...it took months of continual drip drip communications but I got there in the end...my deposit was refunded. So maybe a drip drip of voting platform results and individuals putting their views forward may make them re examine the situation

Hi...that is another way...the drip drip approach...wears away sto

ne doesn't it. A few years ago I took on a big travel company regarding T&Cs at time of booking...it took months of continual drip drip communications but I got there in the end...my deposit was refunded. So maybe a drip drip of voting platform results and individuals putting their views forward may make them re examine the situation

On another thread I suggested that we do blitz P&O with complaints about the increase and do it via the complaints section of their website. I did that saying that they had raised the grats by a silly amount and could I pay the one that I agreed at the time of taking out the cruise. This is part of their reply

"You are more than welcome to modify the amount you would like to contribute, and you can do this at the reception desk at any point during your cruise."

So they obviously are more than happy for us to modify, I assume that means cancel, the grats.

But if there is only the poll and no one bothers to complain they will assume that their cruisers are happy to go along as things are. If you have a cruise booked and you are unhappy about increase and none included grats when they use the included scheme in Australia THEN WRITE AND COMPLAIN.

Hi...that is another way...the drip drip approach...wears away stone doesn't it. A few years ago I took on a big travel company regarding T&Cs at time of booking...it took months of continual drip drip communications but I got there in the end...my deposit was refunded. So maybe a drip drip of voting platform results and individuals putting their views forward may make them re examine the situation

Well done.

They call them gratuities, but they are really just a charge not disclosed when you make the original purchase. They are not tips and the cruise lines misrepresent them by calling them gratuities. The people who the cruise line says get the tips, are contract employees of the cruise line, with a guaranteed wage, benefits, and are not dependent on the tips for their salary.

It is not fair to the employees or the customers. The hard working employees , that the cruise line implies are dependent on the tips, should be paid a fair wage and not have to hope for a tip. As are all the other employees of the cruise line. The customers should not have to be guilted or tricked into paying a service fee that is disguised as a gratuity. It rewards those who remove the gratuities - they get a free ride, at the expense of those who pay them.

Here are some illustration (questions) to show the unfairness and ridiculousness of gratuities.

When you go to customer service to have your tips removed, do you tip the customer service person?

When a medical person on the ship saves your life, do you give them a tip?

When the security personnel protect you from harm, do you give them a tip?

When the Captain gets you to your destination safely and timely, do you slide a $20 bill under the door in the bridge?

Isn't he entire ship there to serve you, not just those who "work for gratuities"?

Why are most of the employees of the cruise line paid a fair wage in a respectable way, but some have to grovel for tips?

How is it a gratuity if it is added before the event takes place, is not easily optional, is not dependent on if you receive the services (skip a meal, don't get any housekeeping one day), and is shared by some that are managers ( maitra d)?

Cruise lines should stop the misrepresentation of gratuities, charge all the customers for the services (no free loaders who opt out) and pay all the employees in a respectable a fair way.

They call them gratuities, but they are really just a charge not disclosed when you make the original purchase. They are not tips and the cruise lines misrepresent them by calling them gratuities. The people who the cruise line says get the tips, are contract employees of the cruise line, with a guaranteed wage, benefits, and are not dependent on the tips for their salary.

It is not fair to the employees or the customers. The hard working employees , that the cruise line implies are dependent on the tips, should be paid a fair wage and not have to hope for a tip. As are all the other employees of the cruise line. The customers should not have to be guilted or tricked into paying a service fee that is disguised as a gratuity. It rewards those who remove the gratuities - they get a free ride, at the expense of those who pay them.

Here are some illustration (questions) to show the unfairness and ridiculousness of gratuities.

When you go to customer service to have your tips removed, do you tip the customer service person?

When the Captain gets you to your destination safely and timely, do you slide a $20 bill under the door in the bridge?

Isn't he entire ship there to serve you, not just those who "work for gratuities"?

Why are most of the employees of the cruise line paid a fair wage in a respectable way, but some have to grovel for tips?

How is it a gratuity if it is added before the event takes place, is not easily optional, is not dependent on if you receive the services (skip a meal, don't get any housekeeping one day), and is shared by some that are managers ( maitra d)?

Cruise lines should stop the misrepresentation of gratuities, charge all the customers for the services (no free loaders who opt out) and pay all the employees in a respectable a fair way.

Good true post.

Here is the reply from P&O

Thank you for your recent email addressed to Paul Ludlow including the poll which you have attached from the Cruise Critic forum.

Mr Ludlow has seen the email sent and thanks you for drawing this to his attention, we wish to assure you that we are monitoring closely the feedback surrounding gratuities, as well as all areas of the business, and I thank you for having taken the time to contact us about this matter.

Thank you from me too. I have also emailed Christopher Edgington

today giving him my opinion. Perhaps if everyone who feels this is the right move (including the tips in the price)does the same P&O may think twice on the subject.

If you could post Christopher Edgingtons email address i and others would appreciate it and also send emails.

Thanks. Graham.

If you could post Christopher Edgingtons email address i and others would appreciate it and also send emails.

Thanks. Graham.

I too would appreciate his email address then I can also send him regular emails regarding this subject.

Agree with most of that but I do think that some staff are considered differently. I've never heard of anyone clamouring to dine with a cabin steward.

The word gratuity says it all, I think. So would we have felt better if the amounts had been identified as a "Service Charge"? Many forms of business apply a service charge. Undoubtedly there would have been some opposition but I think not to the scale and degree of the designation of "tips" .