Poll - Should gratuities be included in the basic cost of a cruise?

AnOnymously

Should gratuities be incorporated int o the basic price of a cruise?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Should gratuities be incorporated int o the basic price of a cruise?

• Yes
    • No

I know, instead of all the boasting about how much we pay these poor overworked and underpaid (?) staff on Pando cruise ships, have a look at what’s happening elsewhere in the world, Syria

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't believe anyone on here is boasting whatsoever just doing what we think is right.

My first instinct is to say 'yes', the service charge should be rolled up and included in the fare.

My second thought is to agree with a comment up-thread. It is likely that people would start giving an extra tip, then we would soon have a situation where the fares were higher and grats had become expected again.

Also, I strongly suspect that the fares would go up by more than the grats :(

My first instinct is to say 'yes', the service charge should be rolled up and included in the fare.

My second thought is to agree with a comment up-thread. It is likely that people would start giving an extra tip, then we would soon have a situation where the fares were higher and grats had become expected again.

Also, I strongly suspect that the fares would go up by more than the grats :(

That tip would be a genuine tip given as a thank you for excellent service and would not become expected, at least it isn't on Marella.

That tip would be a genuine tip given as a thank you for excellent service and would not become expected, at least it isn't on Marella.

I agree it is not in any way expected on Thomson / Marella nor is anything extra solicited with tales of woe that you sometimes hear on P&O.

When we do tip a little extra eg when the service is really excellent it is welcome and received with polite thanks.

We have also been on river cruises with included tips and again the staff accept and indeed seem happy enough that the tip is paid upfront with the cost of the holiday.

The point is that some people are not, they choose not to and at present P&O allow this to happen.

Which is true for all cruise lines selling in the UK and with grats added. It would be illegal to require grats to be paid and not included in the basic price.

There’s always the assumption that some people don’t contribute(?), how do you know. In any case, it’s not a contribution it’s voluntary, and by that people can do what they want and it’s nobody’s business but theirs

There’s always the assumption that some people don’t contribute(?), how do you know. In any case, it’s not a contribution it’s voluntary, and by that people can do what they want and it’s nobody’s business but theirs

You have to take people's word for it.The words in some people's posts can mean when you read between the lines you can tell what their motives are.

When tipping is voluntary it isn't someone elses business what or if you tip thats why i believe it should be included in the price to make it fair for everyone.

You have to take people's word for it.The words in some people's posts can mean when you read between the lines you can tell what their motives are.

When tipping is voluntary it isn't someone elses business what or if you tip thats why i believe it should be included in the price to make it fair for everyone.

I agree, including it in the price you pay is fair to both passengers and crew. If you don't agree with this just vote no!

The point is that if the gratuities are included in the price then everyone pays the price they want for their cruise and the staff receive the gratuities they are due. I can't see a problem with that. Those who then want to tip a little extra will do so and those who don't will know they don't have to. Everyone is happy.

The point is that if the gratuities are included in the price then everyone pays the price they want for their cruise and the staff receive the gratuities they are due. I can't see a problem with that. Those who then want to tip a little extra will do so and those who don't will know they don't have to. Everyone is happy.

Perfectly said.

I see a problem that the cruise line will likely have - Fluid Pricing. Under this pricing structure the cruise line increases and decreases the price according to what the market will stand. If they get it right they maximise their revenue. The problem with including the gratuities is they cannot hit the passengers months later with a £140 gratuities bill as they have already been included. Even if gratuities are cancelled by 20% of passengers they are still doing better with revenue by taking extra cash later.

Regards John

Fluid pricing will not be impacted at all as the alternative is hitting the passengers months later with an unexpected increase in the price of their cruise. The basic point remains the same, the existing system is unfair to both crew and passengers.

I see a problem that the cruise line will likely have - Fluid Pricing. Under this pricing structure the cruise line increases and decreases the price according to what the market will stand. If they get it right they maximise their revenue. The problem with including the gratuities is they cannot hit the passengers months later with a £140 gratuities bill as they have already been included. Even if gratuities are cancelled by 20% of passengers they are still doing better with revenue by taking extra cash later.

Regards John

P&O Australia seem to cope with inclusive gratuities.

Yes I will send the results to P&O CEO.

P&O Australia seem to cope with inclusive gratuities.

Yes I will send the results to P&O CEO.

Dont think the CEO of P&O will take much notice of a poll of less than 200 especially with 15000+ people cruising with them every week. They will take more interest in the number who remove auto gratuities every cruise.