Traveling with child without other parent

Chickenlover8

Exactly. A letter really means nothing. You can write it your self and sign it as the other parent. There are no security measures in a letter.

A notarized letter has some security. But Carnival does not require it to be notarized. On my next Carnival cruise, I plan to have a letter and the printout from the carnival website about the letter since the carnival website does not state that it must be notarized.

Get a letter, since the travel documents require it. I cruise with my kids without their dad, and have been asked 1 time to provide the travel consent letter. This was at the Jax Port. Not sure why, but I suspect it was because my son was booked in another cabin with his grandma and not with me?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

When you go to print your boarding pass you have the option to print general information. Here is what is says about traveling with mionors. Note that the letter does not have to be notarized.

TRAVELING WITH A MINOR? When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent/guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico.

Get a letter, since the travel documents require it. I cruise with my kids without their dad, and have been asked 1 time to provide the travel consent letter. This was at the Jax Port. Not sure why, but I suspect it was because my son was booked in another cabin with his grandma and not with me?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Was your letter notarized? And do you and your son have the same last name? Also, did you travel with a passport for all?

I'm kicking myself right now because I waited so long to print my documents for the cruise. I guess I assumed since I have a passport for her, I wouldn't need a letter. My ex works on the road and I haven't gotten a response from him yet...so I don't think I will be getting a letter before I leave. So if I cannot present a letter, we have to go home? :loudcry:

The letter is peace of mind. My kids both have different last names and I have not been asked for it, but I always travel with it. My oldest's father passed away and I carried his death certificate. My youngest's father does a notarized letter not only for the travel, but to authorize his step father to seek medical treatment if I am not in a condition to make decisions.

I'm kicking myself right now because I waited so long to print my documents for the cruise. I guess I assumed since I have a passport for her, I wouldn't need a letter. My ex works on the road and I haven't gotten a response from him yet...so I don't think I will be getting a letter before I leave. So if I cannot present a letter, we have to go home? :loudcry:

If you can get the letter do it, but if you can't hope for the best. On my last trip I did not have a letter and I must admit I was holding my breath until after check in/boarding was complete. The good thing is that Carnival does not require the letter to be notarized. If you have the same last names and passports you will 99% be fine. Even with the passports and a letter I also take their birth certificates. Their father does not have their last name so the birth certificate will show that the person who wrote the letter is the father. I have traveled with the letter and without but having keeps you from holding your breath.

Sorry but this is NOT good advice. We sailed with our granddaughters and have been asked for a letter three times.

Once when we checked in on Disney, once on a Royal and once by Customs as we were getting off.

You are supposed to have a letter. Be prudent and obtain all of the documents you need!!!

Different cruise lines can require whatever they want. Carnival does not required a letter.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Have you ever closely watched the Carnival personnel when they check you in....They only do a cursatory review of documentation....and we use BC's!! 5 passengers...5 BC's or PP.... Thats all they care. They likely won't ask and if they do they wont be looking for form to be notarized. However, when you disembark and go through immigration...They do look alot closer at your entry ID....although I don't think they care as long as you have proper ID for a person does not have the same ID. I've been married for almost 40 years....and since we still use BC and it shows my wifes maiden name on her BC....and cruise is booked under her married name.... I still take our marriage license just in case!! LOL

Was your letter notarized? And do you and your son have the same last name? Also, did you travel with a passport for all?

Yes, letter was notarized (I used the standard consent form that included passport #'s, travel dates, and travel locations). We do have the same last name and we all had passports.

Like I said, it may have been because I was checking in my son (he is 13) in a cabin that was not mine (it was his grandmothers different last name). His S&S account, however was attached to mine. I had a cabin next door with my daughter. The check in lady asked to see the parental travel consent form. I should have inquired what prompted her to ask for it, but I can only assume it was the different cabins or my teenager looked suspicious LOL ?? No clue - thankfully I had it.

I took my son and a 13 year old who was no relation to me on a cruise last year. We had the notarized letter, but were never asked about it. They did not even mention it. Maybe some ports do it differently, but the Port of San Juan did not seem to notice she was not my child.

Sorry but this is NOT good advice. We sailed with our granddaughters and have been asked for a letter three times.

Once when we checked in on Disney, once on a Royal and once by Customs as we were getting off.

You are supposed to have a letter. Be prudent and obtain all of the documents you need!!!

Disney and Royal always asked for them. I agree bad advice. Just get the letter.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

To the OP.....the cruise line suggests you have a letter.

It looks like the majority on the boards have never been asked for a letter and/or doesn’t feel the need for a letter.

You can go with the majority and hope for the best or you can bring all documents you are asked to provide, in case you are like some of us who were actually asked to provide a letter on more than one occasion.

Yes I had the letter notarized. I also made sure the letter gave me permission to make medical decisions for my granddaughters. I also had trip insurance on them and got an insurance card from their parents in case I needed it before or after the cruise.

If I am taking a minor child out of the country I am going to make darn sure I am prepared. It is just the wise thing to do.

If they have the same last name, most of the time, they do not even ask, but when travelling with a child with a different last name, they will want the form.

No they wont. I have traveled with my DD 12 on 10 cruises (carnival and RCI), we have different last names. I bring our birth certificates and passport cards. That's it. Nobody has ever asked for anything more.

You will be fine. Bring your birth certificates to show you are her parent. A parent is allowed to travel with their child. My DD and I have different last names. 10 cruises, no letter from her father and never, ever asked for one or questioned anything

The last two cruises on Magic we took my 6 year old nephew. Neither of his parents were cruising. We had the letter, notarized, but was never asked for it. I still say take it. Better to always have it and not need it, especially when it comes to any kind of travel documentation.

I So if I cannot present a letter, we have to go home? :loudcry:

Highly doubtful. They could most certainly ask you to contact the father and have him fax something down though. I wouldnt worry too much about it. We have not been asked for the letter.

Disney and Royal always asked for them. I agree bad advice. Just get the letter.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

I’ve sailed Disney 8 times alone with one or both of my children. They have passports and we all have the same last name. We were never asked once for a letter.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I took my friends son with us and she wrote a letter, not asked for it. He was held up in customs on the last day and it was scary. They never told us what was wrong but we just waited patiently. He had a passport and as we scanned to leave he was detained, poor thing was 11 or 12 at the time. Same cruise, my two nieces(15 and 17) traveled with us , birth certificates and no parent was there and no letter, no problems. I would get a letter if I were not the parent and would send one if I sent my son traveling with someone other than us. For my own son and me, I wouldn’t think to get one.

Fast forward to last year, the same boy’s mother traveled with us. The son was booked in one of my cabins, not booked with her. He walked up to the desk with us to check in and although his mother was two terminals down, they never asked for her. They let me check him in, he wasn’t even in my cabin, he was in the cabin with my mom and sister. He was 13 last year.

Also, last thanksgiving , my son and I cruised without my husband, I never thought to get a letter. No problems or questions we both have passports.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I’ll be taking my 10 year old granddaughter on a cruise next year- same last name. My son and daughter-in-law are getting her a passport and looking into the correct permission forms for medical,etc. As for a parent, unless there is a custody battle raging, I should think that no letter is necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Forums