Lakesuperior

Norwegian or Carnival newer ships the best choice for 55+

I've sailed on Celebrity and found the cruisers are substantially older than I expected.

Does Norwegian and Carnival or Royal Carribean newer ships cater to a mature but not so old clients like I experienced on Celebrity?

You'll find that NCL, Carnival and RCI cater to many younger people.

Keith

Thanks Keith I'll keep that in mind for my next cruise.. I'm looking for more of a fun ship with a mature but not elderly clientele.

What cruise did you take on celebrity? I didn't find this the case in Alaska or Europe. Good amount of families.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Carribean Reflection 10 day 3days in Mardi Gras New Orleans and Cozumel, Grand Cayman.

The ship, food and service was great but it wasn't a fun style ship with a conservative daily itinerary.

With a high percentage of elders and guests with disabilities it just didn't meet my expectation.

Don't get me wrong, everyone has the same right to cruising which is fun for all ages. I just need to be more selective in choicing my next cruise. T

Thanks Keith I'll keep that in mind for my next cruise.. I'm looking for more of a fun ship with a mature but not elderly clientele.
Mind if I ask what elderly is? I am going to be 68 in May.....;p

I'm 64 and don't consider 64 or 68 old, but there were alot of cruisers that were much older and quite a few with mobility issues.

Thanks for your feedback. I was invited for this cruise by another couple and you are right fun can be at any age. I think Celebrity doesn't meet my expectation of fun and will look at Norwegian and Carnival newer ships. From what I've seen they have more to offer in the way of my definition of fun. Thanks for your input.

The shorter the cruise, the younger the passenger mix. Young people can't afford the fare of a longer cruise, nor do they earn that much vacation time. I have done three longer cruises on Carnival (13-16 days) and when I looked around at the passengers, I thought anyone without gray or white hair - or no hair-was coloring it. EM

I am going to agree with an earlier poster that said your better bet with either NCL or Carnival is with a longer cruise. The shorter cruises, i.e. 3 or 4 day to the Bahamas, tend to be booze cruises. I haven't been on any of the newer NCL ships, but read reviews carefully to see if they will meet your expectations. I really liked the Carnival Vista (I'm in my mid 50's). The Vista and the Horizon have an area called the Havana Cabana area that the rooms are restricted to those 12 and above. The Havana area during the day is for Havana guests only, so if you need some quieter adult time this area is perfect, but you can also go to the main pool areas for fun and games. Lots of activities, and lost of food choices.

Just off Norwegian Dawn in Caribbean ( 7 nights). Excellent cruise with top food and service and cleanliness... and mostly over 45s. A handful of kids mostly with their grandparents. Carnival is the young party crowd cruise line.

I've been on 3 Celebrity cruises (one 7 day and two 14 day) and the age ranges were about 40-60. Hardly elderly! They had some adult activities, but not as many as Princess does. If you're looking for flow riders, climbing walls and skating rinks, then go on Royal Caribbean.

We are going to try Viking Ocean. Celebrity has become too class distinctive for us with drink packages that encourage a lot of boozy type of behavior. That is fun for some, not us.

Viking is not geared to those with mobility issues. No scooters wheel chairs etc. No kids.

Walking tours every day. A large walking/jogging track, two pools.

But also not much hoopla, no silly/stupid stuff. So that might eliminate some people.

I've sailed on Celebrity and found the cruisers are substantially older than I expected.

Does Norwegian and Carnival or Royal Carribean newer ships cater to a mature but not so old clients like I experienced on Celebrity?

Take a look at Princess. We sailed them last year and had a ball. I have sailed on NCL, RCI, and now Princess. If you are an active senior; then choose RCI or NCL. their ships have tons to do for active people. If you just want to relax and play trivia in the bar and watch some good shows in the theater; take a look at Princess

Here's my take:

Princess for active people over 40 who are looking for relaxing sea days and great ports.

NCL for 20-something singles and single GLBT cruisers.

Carnival for families, low-income cruisers, and short getaways. It's "Princess-lite." Noisy and festive.

RCCL for non-stop activity. A lot to do on the ship, and it is rarely quiet.

The last two Celebrity cruises we were on catered to large groups and the rest of us were SOL.

Here's my take:

Princess for active people over 40 who are looking for relaxing sea days and great ports.

Carnival for families, low-income cruisers, and short getaways. It's "Princess-lite." Noisy and festive.

The last two Celebrity cruises we were on catered to large groups and the rest of us were SOL.

Your take is interesting. Thank you for posting it.

Here's my take:

What is GLBT cruisers? or did you mean LGBT?

Mind if I ask what elderly is? I am going to be 68 in May.....;p
Elderly is over 80. You got a long way to go to qualify[emoji6]

LGBT cruisers are also there on Carnival and Celebrity. They are part of the fun loving party crowd.

Here's my take:

I am just curious how you came to surmise Carnival is for low income people. Maybe people like cruising with fun people as opposed to stuffy people who think they are better than anyone else. I made a six figure salary and retired Jan 1. I love cruising Carnival. So does that make me low income? I book rooms that I pay a pretty penny for on Carnival. I also have cruises booked on Princess and Holland America.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Reread what I wrote -- families, low-income cruisers, short getaways, noisy & festive.

If you fall into any of those categories, Carnival might be a good fit. It doesn't mean ALL of those categories. Carnival tends to be less expensive than some of the other lines and is therefore often more affordable for families or folks who want to cruise, but can't spend a lot of money.

I hope that clarifies it for you.

The new Carnival ships are much more expensive than the competition

The new Carnival ships are much more expensive than the competition

Exactly. We are going on Horizon and have a Havana Cabana vista balcony. So for somebody to make that generalization is ridiculous.

Reread what I wrote -- families, low-income cruisers, short getaways, noisy & festive.

If you fall into any of those categories, Carnival might be a good fit. It doesn't mean ALL of those categories. Carnival tends to be less expensive than some of the other lines and is therefore often more affordable for families or folks who want to cruise, but can't spend a lot of money.

I hope that clarifies it for you.

You point out exactly the point I was making! Stuffy people who think they are better than everyone else. All kinds of people go on every different cruise line. That is some of the problem I have with this board. Fortunately, I have met wonderful people at meet and greets who are members of this board. I have been cruising on Carnival since I was 20 years old. I am not 55+ but I see people of all ages. They are having fun. It gets irritating the things people say about Carnival.

We all love Carnival, especially my teenage daughter. Carnival cruises are great fun and always have a fun loving party crowd

We all love Carnival, especially my teenage daughter. Carnival cruises are great fun and always have a fun loving party crowd

Yes, my 20 year old daughter loves them as well. I take her on all my cruises, but have to work around her college. Carnival people are alive no matter the age. You can chill or enjoy the party.

Posted (edited)
Yes, my 20 year old daughter loves them as well. I take her on all my cruises, but have to work around her college. Carnival people are alive no matter the age. You can chill or enjoy the party.

Thank you for confirming what I said. They're noisy and festive. That works if that's what you're after.

Because someone chooses a different sort of cruise, that does not make them stuffy. Each person needs to find the best fit FOR THEM and for the particular cruise. Sometimes you want quiet relaxation; other times you want exhilaration.

Are you like this in real life?

Edited by WAMarathoner

I like NCL because it is laid back. Do what you want, when you want, or nothing at all!!! I was also a teacher. I do love kids but perfer a quieter atmosphere. I usually cruise when kids are in school.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

We are in our mid 60's. Have been cruising for a while, 20 plus cruises. We have sailed on HAL, Princess, Celebrity, Carnival, NCL, RCI, and Crystal.

We no longer select by cruise line. We focus on the ship. Lots of variations between ships in the same fleet. Especially on HAL and Princess. The other factor for us is length of itinerary and date. This can make a huge difference to the cruise demographics and mood of the ship. Seven day holiday sailings are very different that 21 day sailings during non holiday time.

We have never had a bad cruise. Our preference tends to be Celebrity because we like their Solstice class ships. Having said that the last three have been Princess X 2 and an RCI.

We typically avoid the following

-holiday period cruises

-older ships

-any pre or post drydock cruise (at least for two months) and any inaugural cruise

-any cruise that has a large group on board

We are in our mid 60's. Have been cruising for a while, 20 plus cruises. We have sailed on HAL, Princess, Celebrity, Carnival, NCL, RCI, and Crystal.

We no longer select by cruise line. We focus on the ship. Lots of variations between ships in the same fleet. Especially on HAL and Princess. The other factor for us is length of itinerary and date. This can make a huge difference to the cruise demographics and mood of the ship. Seven day holiday sailings are very different that 21 day sailings during non holiday time.

We have never had a bad cruise. Our preference tends to be Celebrity because we like their Solstice class ships. Having said that the last three have been Princess X 2 and an RCI.

We typically avoid the following

-holiday period cruises

-older ships

-any pre or post drydock cruise (at least for two months) and any inaugural cruise

-any cruise that has a large group on board

I agree with you. We were on a couple with very large groups and they were loud!!! So we always check now.

You point out exactly the point I was making! Stuffy people who think they are better than everyone else. All kinds of people go on every different cruise line. That is some of the problem I have with this board. Fortunately, I have met wonderful people at meet and greets who are members of this board. I have been cruising on Carnival since I was 20 years old. I am not 55+ but I see people of all ages. They are having fun. It gets irritating the things people say about Carnival.

Exactly indeed! I'm sick AND tired of the *Carnival is not as good as anything else, especially not as good as the ship I'M going on* mentality that oftentimes prevails on CC. Lol, hence my disappearing for many months at a time. Although, as a side note, at my advanced age it's led to the forgetting of my login info and having to start anew a few times...

We started as a family on CCL, we stayed into our elder years because we love it! The few forrays into other lines did not seem like a good fit for us. THE most ludicrous statement that got me was the *budget* label. 2 last year. 3 already booked for this year. ALL balconies (because I'm a big baby that has to be able to see the horizon to not get sometimes woozy) as have EVERY single cruisin adventure we've been on.

Whew, I can feel the ole BP rising...

Think I'll go look at our Carnival Cruise Lines Wall of Fun for a bit ;)

[emoji924]️ Cruisin Trkrs [emoji597]

Think I'll go look at our Carnival Cruise Lines Wall of Fun for a bit ;)[emoji924]️ Cruisin Trkrs [emoji597]

What is a Wall of fun?

What is a Wall of fun?
We've made a wall in our downstairs den into "Our WOF". No one usually is in there except for us, our kids, grands, & some fun loving friends. So, it's basically covered with silly stuff/photographs that make us chuckle with fond Cruisin remembrances. My Hubs and I always go to character gatherings & breakfasts onboard, whether alone or Cruisin with the kids and/or grands, to get our pics with whichever one(s) it may be. We take advantage of the getting on/off ship photo ops also. At many ports the native(at times) costumes people wear are very interesting and colorful so we add those to our collection. Same with our kids/grands. Although they all seem to prefer the ones of us two oldie-but-goodies playing around.

[emoji924]️ Cruisin Trkrs [emoji597]

I am 62 and have only cruised on Carnival. I can afford to go on any cruise line but prefer Carnival. You can find many different demographics on a Carnival cruise depending on the time of year and port of departure. Also, the festive activity varies depend on the time of the year. For example, a 7 day cruise in January or November has different demographics than a cruise in July. November and January is an older group. I went on an 8 day cruise in April (not spring break time) and the cruise had the most Diamond category than the ship had ever had. It was an older group. If you pick your cruise and timing with Carnival, you can have some control over the type of crowd on the ship that fits your style of cruising. Not here to offend,

only to provide insight.

I agree with you. We were on a couple with very large groups and they were loud!!! So we always check now.

Debbie' date='

Curious how you check to see if there are any large groups on the ship. My brother & I are booked on Celebrity Reflection, 11 day southern Caribbean in February....

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app