Help With Travel Insurance

GRANNYOFSIX

Thank you Icpagejr and Sbres431. We usually purchase travel insurance from our TA but want to see if it might be a little less expensive researching on my own.

Unfortunately we did need travel insurance twice and feel so very grateful that we purchased it!!!

Have a nice day:)

We always use Travel Insured(we get a discount through USAA). Never had to use it, thankfully.

We have used Travel Insured also. Some others that we have used are:

Travelex

TravelSafe

CSA

With your credit card, be sure to to check if it will be primary vs secondary coverage. It's a personal preference but I always try to find primary coverage. Also, Medical Evac coverage should be checked, especially for a cruise. Some credit cards don't cover it at all.

I second insuremytrip.com ... there are a number of good companies but which one gives the best price (and the price itself) in a specific situation varies quite a bit. I've used several of the companies named in the thread, have made 2 small claims, and have never had an issue.

I would much rather do a side-by-side comparison to identify deltas and decide for myself if they are important for us. Buying from the TA or cruise line, even if they manage to provide a pamphlet or some other detail... how do you know if it's good insurance for you at a good price?

With respect to credit card coverage... it seems like our Chase Sapphire Reserve has good coverage, but I'm always leery if it's necessary to pay for everything with the card, if using points for part of the fare invalidates the coverage, etc. ie. Are there any catches? Anybody have experience on that front? It would be great if that annual fee would save me $200/year in travel insurance.

I can’t recommend Steve Dasdeoss from trip insurance store high enough. The guy is pure genius when it comes to helping you figure out the best policy based on what your current health care plan and credit card coverage offers. He’s fantastic and has saved me loads of cash. The web page is great for comparison, but He is worth a phone call. Example, he has me call my health insurance company and ask what my coverage would be if i were run over by a garbage truck in Mexico lol. He then took thAt info and used it to make sure I wasn’t over-insuring. I have recommended him for years and never had a single person say he wasn’t fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I second insuremytrip.com ...

With respect to credit card coverage... it seems like our Chase Sapphire Reserve has good coverage, but I'm always leery if it's necessary to pay for everything with the card, if using points for part of the fare invalidates the coverage, etc. ie. Are there any catches? Anybody have experience on that front? It would be great if that annual fee would save me $200/year in travel insurance.

The Sapphire Reserve card does indeed seem to have good coverage. And from what I've read in the policy, no the entire trip does not need to be paid for by the card for coverage. We have been supplementing this with extra medical/evacuation from insuremytrip's GeoBlue Voyager choice. Less than $70 pp for 2 of us, with no look back period for pre-existing conditions. The card has been worth the high premium, more than paying for itself by not having to add supplemental cancellation insurance.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm a new cruiser and I saw that insurance was added to my cruise by MSC. Is this the same type of insurance you all are talking about or is that insurance different? Do I need both?

It's likely this is travel insurance, but it's difficult to say without any detail. :p Can you post the line item description? Did you book direct with MSC or through a travel agent? This is usually something a TA will push (presumably a high-profit item) and some will just add it on without asking.

In all cases, unless you know what you've got, you can't determine if it's what you need. MSC, the TA, or the insurance company should provide a policy document and some sort of summary of coverage, plus contact information if you need to contact the company while travelling.

It's likely this is travel insurance, but it's difficult to say without any detail. :p Can you post the line item description? Did you book direct with MSC or through a travel agent? This is usually something a TA will push (presumably a high-profit item) and some will just add it on without asking.

In all cases, unless you know what you've got, you can't determine if it's what you need. MSC, the TA, or the insurance company should provide a policy document and some sort of summary of coverage, plus contact information if you need to contact the company while travelling.

I booked direct with MSC, and it's called CSA Travel Protection . I got an attachment with my last booking update that has details about the insurance, but I admit the wording of it all is a bit confusing. It says:

Trip Cancellation 100% of Trip Cost InsuredTrip Interruption 100% of Trip Cost InsuredTravel Delay($200 Daily LimitApplies)$600 $6,000Baggage Coverage $1,000 $10,000Baggage Delay $100 $1,000Accidental Deathand Dismemberment- Air Flight Accident$25,000 $250,000Medical and Dental $25,000 $100,000EmergencyAssistance andTransportation($10,000 Limit AppliesFor CompanionHospitality Expenses)$50,000 $500,000

Does all that seem like enough if there is an emergency, or should I get different insurance? Should I keep this insurance and get additional? I think I can cancel this insurance???

I agree with Tina.... You likely paid way more than you would insuring through a 3rd party....Check out some of the sites mentioned earlier in this post. Compare costs and coverage. I think you will see a significant cost savings vs MSC coverage/cost