WESTERDAM Shops

CATandSQUID

They have the new shops here on NA. We can’t stand them and apparently the feeling is very mutual throughout this cruise because there are hardly ever many people in them. There are basically no sales...No watch events... No jewelry events...No deck sales. The desk area in the passageway between the shops was NEVER used (they used to do “gold by the inch”, liquor tastings, etc there).

When we first boarded we realized that the sunscreen that we brought with us wasn’t what we thought it was, so we went to the shops to buy some and there was none to be found. We asked and they told us it was still below decks in the warehouse. We said that perhaps sunscreen should be a priority on a Caribbean cruise.

I asked to sample a cologne and were told that they didn’t have a sample. I said that I’m not going to buy something if I can’t sample it. Then they opened one to let me try.

I know ships are an ongoing thing and they would never do this, but it would just have been better if they would have closed them completely for a week so they could all get their acts together rather than doing a half-a**ed job throughout the cruise.

We usually spend a good amount on colognes and watches, but we refuse to spend a dollar in these shops on this cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Westerdam shops were finished being remodeled/converted over during our Feb. 4-19 Panama Canal cruise. If one is into shopping on board then they are likely to be very disappointed. The shops are small with a limited selection of very pricey merchandise. They were open (after the conversion was completed a few days into the cruise) only during the evening of sea days. We wondered through a few times and never saw more a than a very few others browsing. Disclosure: I am not a shopper and could care less about buying over priced stuff stuff on a cruise ship; my wife might be a shopper but she quckly decided not on the Westerdam. Compared to our experiences on various Celebrity cruise ships the Westerdam shops seemed pretty lame. There were no special sales or events held like happen on Celebrity.

On the Veendam, they added an "O" shop. Nobody in there, ever. In the regular shop, they had no perfume open so you could try it. I asked why and was told they didn't want to spread any more noro. Right. Otherwise, a small selection of clothing that was pretty tacky, so I spent nothing at all. That's amazing for a 49 day cruise.