Live from Breakaway

mw4357

USCG just departed, heading back on course.

We are still off the coast of Jacksonville FL

Oh ok thanks. Her Facebook post indicated they were in Buxton NC. So I thought you were much closer to home than FL.

I’m hoping you won’t be sailing through any rough seas from the Nor’easter that’s starting tonight in NJ.

Fortunately...the storm is not forecasted to form and explode until its off the PA/NJ coast. So it isn't a true noreaster that builds off of GA/and Carolinas and scoots up the coast. I live in Philly area and winds are forecasted to gust between 60-65mph including DE and NJ shore beginning early afternoon through most of Friday night. Storm will be heading to NY in earnest as a Noreaster beginning Friday night. Still forecasting 30-35 mph winds in Philly most of Saturday. Safe travels!!

Is the construction finished? . Safe travels home. Eat green apples. They really help.

Construction has a long way to go.

The Haven area still probably over a year to completion

Lighthouse getting closer,would say summer - early fall

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just curious...for NYC cruisers is this something you just kind of expect? I mean when sailing during the winter do you just assume weather might be an issue and just hope for the best.

I have been doing this cruise for many years. (We sail on Sunday) We only had one bad cruise. It's was pretty rough for two days coming back from Nassau. We also left one year in the snow, it was quite beautiful.

Ncl is being extra cautious as they had a bad experience on this itinerary earlier this season.

Construction has a long way to go.

The Haven area still probably over a year to completion

Lighthouse getting closer,would say summer - early fall

Thanks. It was the Haven area that I was most interested in. Is the noise loud if you're near the construction? Last year there was a lot of earth movers near the area we like to frequent.

Just curious...for NYC cruisers is this something you just kind of expect? I mean when sailing during the winter do you just assume weather might be an issue and just hope for the best.

Absolutely....

That being said, it is hit and miss and it is usually the first or last day at sea.

My last two cruises this year on the GEM (January) and Breakaway (February), we had beautiful weather all days at sea. ;)

Don:cool:

Thanks. It was the Haven area that I was most interested in. Is the noise loud if you're near the construction? Last year there was a lot of earth movers near the area we like to frequent.

There was no construction being done while we were there. Lots of equipment there

It's officially another bomb cyclone, 2nd high tide this evening will flood coastal areas again. Storm is already east of Montauk, NY ... eastern tip of Long Island earlier but the counter-clock wise wind won't peak in NYC till past midnight & windy into tomorrow.

Meanwhile, ship's live webcam 1.5 hours ago looked a bit worst with swells, probably at least 12' to 15' plus in waves & worsening. Haven't seen these chart colors so widespread for the NE Atlantic in a while.

Hold on to those hand rails yet ship is hundreds of nautical miles behind the storm ... looked like they really need to sail up close along the coastline for a better ride.

36502deded1f3682f444383052ae12ce.jpg

3b43b27bd56799f7a072766ee4547a94.jpg

ba142e2d5c1fe7090888d1cddb2515b3.jpg

P.S. Thanks for the 8 PM update from the ship. 25' waves will be felt by those on higher decks, especially Fwd & Aft with vertical movements

... things that needed to be secured & tied down, I trust, were done already.

Sent via dual sim KIW-L24 Honor 5X using Tapatalk

Edited by mking8288

We are currently east of Wilmington NC

Conditions are still pretty good. Definitely rocking to sleep tonight.

Right now 30-35 mph winds and 25 ft waves. Some side to side motion. Decks 7, 8, 17 & 18 have been closed all day [emoji30]

mw4357

Thanks for the updates.

Fair winds and following seas to you and all aboard. High tide here soon. Snow /rain has ended. Winds starting to calm down.

Enjoy the rocking and rolling. Wish I was onboard.

Safe Sailing

P.S. Just stepped outside and winds still gusting pretty good. Snow/rain has stopped.

Hope you have a safe trip home [emoji4]

~Every Day at Sea is a Good Day

Edited by meatball_nyc

Looks like we are east of DC

Currently showing 38 ft wave height and 40 mph winds. Waves are coming from bow so it’s a nice slow roll (but big roll).

Little difficult getting around, quite a few people getting sick but overall still not too bad.

Announcements say getting into NYC @ 2-3 am

Looks like we are east of DC

Currently showing 38 ft wave height and 40 mph winds. Waves are coming from bow so it’s a nice slow roll (but big roll) ... Announcements say getting into NYC @ 2-3 am

Much appreciated, sound like ship & captain got matters under control, all hands on the bridge ... and, probably freaking out quite a few infrequent cruisers with the rough ride.

Just looked at Bermuda's marine forecast, seas outside the reef is 25 ft. to 40 ft. (inside the reef, "just" 4 to 6 ft.) and not subsiding to 15' to 30' till Tuesday. This is a massive storm, one forecast describe it as 2,500 miles wide, stretching from the North Atlantic all the down to Mexico.

This newer oceanweather marine chart with the colors tell the story ... ship must be hugging closely up the coast ...

fce2388ff54c6e3c2a327abd47db80e6.jpg

3bcba24c8bf9ffaf9198ca362a58325e.jpg

1520123455196.jpg.156b60f7dfb7b5f417fb76a0c5fb8553.jpg Bridge cam hope they can see.

This isn't about how much you have cruised it is about these companies and continuing their greed of keeping these runs alive. They skipped a day to make it back to NYC on time in the middle of a Bombogenis storm. Hope all 3 Azipods hold for the next 7 hours, if they start failing this vessel has no steering capability in 35 to 40' seas. Wishing them all an uneventful last hours ride back to NYC!

This reminds me why I will never do a Trans Atlantic run or as Scott Styles said " I wished it had happened in July"

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Forums mobile app