Alcohol

frosstty

If you plan on purchasing the beverage package in advance of your cruise, be advised that the Princess cruise line has a history of changing the terms of the package and reducing what you thought you were buying at the time you booked the package. To avoid such a disappointment, you might want to consider waiting until you board ship to make the purchase.

Can anyone advise us about the alcohol package on Princess? It would cost us $600 Canadian each for the week, thanks

Prince includes grats, so no further tipping required. Maximum 15 alcoholic drinks/day no carry overs. Must be purchased for entire cruise. Alcoholic drinks menu priced up to US$12 are included. The limit covers most drinks on the ship. It takes around 6 or so alcoholic drinks per day both port and sea days to break even. No limits on non-alcoholic drinks. Room service excluded. It takes lots of drinking to make it worth it. Look here for the fine print

https://www.princess.com/learn/cruise-gifts-celebrations/gifts-and-services/culinary-delights-wine/

Can anyone advise us about the alcohol package on Princess? It would cost us $600 Canadian each for the week, thanks

Check out the various calculators on this site. Given both non alcoholic and alcoholic drinks its not a bad deal as compared to what you'd pay for a bunch of drinks onboard. On the other hand, if you buy a case of water, bring a case of pop onboard, and don't want a lot of other drinks it may not be for you.

The Princess website and the personalizer explain pretty clearly what is included and excluded. They just redid the program recently so I doubt any changes are in the near future, but you can wait until a few weeks before your cruise to decide.

Depending on the exchange rate you booked your cruise at, you may be able to buy it at cheaper than "market" before the cruise.

We bought our cruise at 1.20 with Princess. Current rates on credit card are over 1.3. But the exchange for pre purchases on the "personalizer" is 1.2. So I pre buy the drink packages, gratuities and also some OBC at 1.2.

That way the end of cruise bill that hits the credit card at market rates is pretty low.

But again it depends what exchange rate your cruise was booked at.

It’s to expensive unless you can drink as much as my two uncles? Captain Edward Teach aka Blackbeard or

William Kidd aka Captain Kid...:o:o:o

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

When you are onboard 21 days the beverage package is expensive and not feasible to consume to make it worth while. 6 plus drinks each day every day would be a push with 16 ports of call.:evilsmile:

If you are a beer only drinker like me it is way more than 6 drinks a day and definitely not worth it for a long port intensive cruise. I drank heaps on my last cruise (21 days) but it was still far cheaper to just pay as I went.

If they wait until boarding the package would be paid in USD.

Good morning, Wood Duck,

Your post is interesting. So, if I purchase the drink package, is it paid in Canadian dollars then? (and I would save on the exchange rate?)

Someone had told me that if I prepay the gratuities, it is paid in Cdn dollars and I would save some money there.

Is this correct?

Thank you.

Good morning, Wood Duck,

Your post is interesting. So, if I purchase the drink package, is it paid in Canadian dollars then? (and I would save on the exchange rate?)

Someone had told me that if I prepay the gratuities, it is paid in Cdn dollars and I would save some money there.

Is this correct?

Thank you.

Not really saving anything on respect to exchange rate. Princess freezes the exchange rate at the time you booked the cruise, and that rate is used until you depart. So if i booked 18 months ago and the exchange was 1.15, then that is what I pay for pre-booking until I board. If it was opposite at 1.35, same rules, that is what they charge you.

Yes you can use a Canadian dollar credit card, but Princes always seem to win in this case.

Once on the ship you are charged the going rate on the credit card you used.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not really saving anything on respect to exchange rate. Princess freezes the exchange rate at the time you booked the cruise, and that rate is used until you depart. So if i booked 18 months ago and the exchange was 1.15, then that is what I pay for pre-booking until I board. If it was opposite at 1.35, same rules, that is what they charge you.

Yes you can use a Canadian dollar credit card, but Princes always seem to win in this case.

Once on the ship you are charged the going rate on the credit card you used.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So, I should look at the advertised price (in American $) and then what I paid (in Canadian $) and do the math to get the exchange rate?

Good morning, Wood Duck,

Is this correct?

Thank you.

The Premium Beverage Package is paid in $CDN if you book from Canada. Once you book your cruise you will be able to access your "Cruise Personalizer" this is where you book your extras including beverage packages, spa, excursions etc. And yes charged in $CDN at a good exchange about $1.20 cdn to $1 USD. If you buy the

5-for-4 Heineken Package

5 bottles for the price of 4 @ $31.63 CDN, works out to $6CDN per bottle. (y)(y):beer-mug::beer-mug::beer-mug:

Edited by The Wood Duck
format

I have a wine question. Are we still able to carry on wine.....and it is max 2 bottles per person......or 2 bottles per couple in a cabin?

Thanks

Site says:

Alcohol Policy

As provided in the Passage Contract, guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded.*

Alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship's gift shop, or at ports of call, will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to the guest's stateroom on the last day of the cruise. A member of the ship's staff will be at the gangway to assist guests with the storage of their shoreside alcoholic purchases while our Boutiques staff will assist guests with shipboard alcoholic purchases.

*Princess Cruises is not responsible for any alcoholic beverages removed and discarded by shoreside security staff.

Such items are not eligible for monetary refund or replacement.

Site says:

Alcohol Policy

As provided in the Passage Contract, guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded.*

Alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship's gift shop, or at ports of call, will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to the guest's stateroom on the last day of the cruise. A member of the ship's staff will be at the gangway to assist guests with the storage of their shoreside alcoholic purchases while our Boutiques staff will assist guests with shipboard alcoholic purchases.

*Princess Cruises is not responsible for any alcoholic beverages removed and discarded by shoreside security staff.

Such items are not eligible for monetary refund or replacement.

Thank you very much! Yes, I will be bringing two bottles of wine onboard with me! :)

You can hide some "Spark Plugs" (Canadian for 2 oz Liquor bottles) in your pockets. Just be smart and carry no more than 6 each. Can restock in most ports.

I'm assuming you have little bottles with plastic caps or is it the case that the tiny metal bottle caps don't cause the metal detector to nail you? I would be pretty embarrassed if the thing went off and I had little liquor bottles in my pocket. My wife has set the dang things off a couple of times when she wore certain sandals. I guess there must be a metal piece in the sole somewhere.

We are not looking to jack the cruise line, I buy my fair share while onboard. It is nice to make a drink in yourself while sitting on your balcony.

Yes, that is why we like to take a couple bottles of wine......so one can have a glass without planning too far ahead!