Long overdue Kuddos to Captain Kate

scubamommy!

We sailed the Summit last Spring and I meant to write a thread when we returned, but then life got in the way.

It was my daughters 13th birthday during the cruise. She had the most fun with some little friends she met on board. All 3 girls were SO IMPRESSED with Captain Kate! Capt Kate came to our meet and mingle, she cracked jokes every morning on the announcements, she was always so bubbly and smiling when you caught her around the ship, happy to share a word or two with anyone and everyone. She played games with everyone during the jewelry giveaways and she even went to the Kids Club to meet and mingle with them. She told them stories about being a woman captain and told them they were able to do anything they set their mind to. And if that wasn't enough to impress ANYONE, she went above and beyond! On my daughters Birthday she sent her a handwritten note with a ship charm ( for a bracelet) to our cabin. The note said something they had talked about at the kids club earlier in the cruise about what my daughter wanted to be when she grew up, so I know in fact it really was handwritten from her! . A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!

Who does that? Captain Kate does that, thats who!

My daughter has not stopped telling her story of being the only US woman Captain and talking about Captain Kate since we got back. We were all so impressed by her! Thank you to Captain Kate for your kindness, humor, generosity and overall care for your ship and all it's passengers! You are one of a kind!

I cruised three times with Captain Kate during the year ended in January. Picked the last cruise at the last minute because I knew it was probably the last time to cruise with her and Maja (Suite Manager Extraordinaire). And yes, Captain Kate does send handwritten notes. She's a pretty amazing person!

I cruised three times with Captain Kate during the year ended in January. Picked the last cruise at the last minute because I knew it was probably the last time to cruise with her and Maja (Suite Manager Extraordinaire). And yes, Captain Kate does send handwritten notes. She's a pretty amazing person!

I adore Maja! I must have missed the information that she is leaving the Summit [emoji30] Any idea where she's heading?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just a note of clarification, Capt. Kate is the only female US Captain of a cruise ship. There have been several US women Captains of merchant ships, dating back 30 years to when Lynn Korwatch was given command of a Matson container ship when 8 months pregnant. Many of these women, having obtained their Captain's license are now serving as harbor pilots around the US.

We sailed the Summit last Spring and I meant to write a thread when we returned, but then life got in the way.

It was my daughters 13th birthday during the cruise. She had the most fun with some little friends she met on board. All 3 girls were SO IMPRESSED with Captain Kate! Capt Kate came to our meet and mingle, she cracked jokes every morning on the announcements, she was always so bubbly and smiling when you caught her around the ship, happy to share a word or two with anyone and everyone. She played games with everyone during the jewelry giveaways and she even went to the Kids Club to meet and mingle with them. She told them stories about being a woman captain and told them they were able to do anything they set their mind to. And if that wasn't enough to impress ANYONE, she went above and beyond! On my daughters Birthday she sent her a handwritten note with a ship charm ( for a bracelet) to our cabin. The note said something they had talked about at the kids club earlier in the cruise about what my daughter wanted to be when she grew up, so I know in fact it really was handwritten from her! . A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!

My daughter has not stopped telling her story of being the only US woman Captain and talking about Captain Kate since we got back. We were all so impressed by her! Thank you to Captain Kate for your kindness, humor, generosity and overall care for your ship and all it's passengers! You are one of a kind!

I've never seen her in cruise critic but I understand she has a facebook page. You may want to post this in there.

I agree with you about Maja also. She is wonderful. I know she told us in October that she may be gone after this last assignment but she didn't know where exactly she was going.

We will also miss Captain Kate. She is extraordinary in every way.

I adore Maja! I must have missed the information that she is leaving the Summit [emoji30] Any idea where she's heading?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I believe it has been announced that she is going to the Equinox. She is either there now or will be by the time of our April cruise. Looking forward to seeing her as we have not sailed with her before.

Tom & Judy

Just a note of clarification, Capt. Kate is the only female US Captain of a cruise ship. There have been several US women Captains of merchant ships, dating back 30 years to when Lynn Korwatch was given command of a Matson container ship when 8 months pregnant. Many of these women, having obtained their Captain's license are now serving as harbor pilots around the US.

Yes, I'm sorry, that is what I meant, of a cruise ship! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with you!

She is the best!

Pretty sure Celebrity have also appointed a woman as Captain of one of the Galapagos Island cruise ships. Besides what difference should it make whether the Captain is male or female. It is their professionalism that is the only thing of importance.

Pretty sure Celebrity have also appointed a woman as Captain of one of the Galapagos Island cruise ships. Besides what difference should it make whether the Captain is male or female. It is their professionalism that is the only thing of importance.

Yes, they did appoint a woman captain of one of the Galapagos ships.

It doesn't make a difference to me whether the captain is male or female. Captain Kate just happens to be my favorite out of all the Celebrity captains I've sailed with.

Hello

My family and I were just on the Equinox from the 24th-31st and Kate was on board learning the ship, she takes over mid April. I did have a chance to talk to her a few times and she is very nice. We talk about her move to a new ship and how she is a fan of the the TV show the Amazing Race and wants to be on the show. She plans on sending in a video and if she is selected she will be racing with her husband.

This is an interesting question, why does it make a difference? I don’t know why, but it does. I think, from my personal experience with Captain Kate on the Summit, it is 75% the person and 25% being a woman. I have found most Celebrity captains are a cut above the other cruise lines (partly because they are more accessible). But I found Captain Kate even more accessible and more personable. I just think the fact that she must be such an inspiration to other young women that aspire to break into traditionally male dominated professions is what makes the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums