Typical evening dining room attire for men?

Did they recently change the dress code? I thought they required long pants and collared shirts every night, and they recommended a coat on Elegant nights, but I checked and they allow dress shorts on Casual evenings now (except in the Steakhouse, where they apparently require long pants every night).

It changed about a decade ago, or at least it seems that way. Shorts for every night and a polo or Tommy Bahama style shirt except for what’s labeled Cruise Elegant. That night I substitute khakis for the shorts. Then after dinner I change back to shorts and boat shoes for the shows and walking around.

Yay! Yet another dress code thread where no-one seems to read what Carnival posts on their very own website, and we all regurgitate the same old mis-conceptions!

Carnival says:

What’s Cruise Casual?

For the ladies — Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

For the gentlemen — Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), long dress shorts, collared sport shirts.

What’s Cruise Elegant?

For the ladies — Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses. If you’d like to show off your evening gowns, that’s great too!

For the gentlemen — Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
whitespace cleanup

Nice shirt and slacks no shorts or jeans casual for all nights but formal, Formal nights suit is the proper thing to ware I feal

Sent from my VS501 using Forums mobile app

According to dress code per Carnival, dress shorts and jeans are allowed on cruise casual nights, a nice pair of slacks and collared shirt are appropriate for elegant night.

Pat

Yay! Yet another dress code thread where no-one seems to read what Carnival posts on their very own website, and we all regurgitate the same old mis-conceptions!

When 85,170 threads on the same subject just aren’t enough 😬

For me, personally, I wear nice jeans (no rips or tears and jeans that fit me on my waist) and a polo shirt foe every night. On elegant night, I am usually wearing a suit, or at least dress slacks, button down shirt, and a sport coat. I don't care what people wear to dinner as long as its respectful to other cruisers. The only two things that make me question the rules is when a baseball hat is worn, and if you are wearing pants so low that I can see their underwear. Just have respect for other people on vacation. Regardless of some peoples opinion, this is a formal restaurant, not McDonald's.

This is simply incorrect. You do not have to wear a suit anytime. You can also wear shorts except elegant nights.

I typically wear some sort of cargo type shorts with a nice shirt and on elegant nights I wear khaki pants and a polo shirt.

I agree with this , same thing I wear ...

You MAY be denied entrance into the MDR. So plan to dine at the Lido buffet

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Forums mobile app

Why in the world would someone be denied the MDR for wearing shorts and a polo on non-elegant night? This is simply untrue and is perfectly fine to wear on non-elegant nights.

Why in the world would someone be denied the MDR for wearing shorts and a polo on non-elegant night? This is simply untrue and is perfectly fine to wear on non-elegant nights.

Simple answer is “you won’t.” And you and I enjoy reading the posts from those that won’t let it go.

I’m amused and those that post this time and time again and seek some sort of glee suggesting the buffet to others that don’t meet a dress goal the host has given up on and they cannot let go of on an individual basis.

Casual is casual for the funnel folks, tee shirts, sports jerseys and a wide variety of casual attire walks right in. In what is now 37 cruises it hasn’t changed my food taste yet.

I’ve also never seen a “beater” or dirty clothes at dinner, not one time.

You’re on a Carnival cruise, one that served liquor from coconut monkey mugs and had grown men yell like Tarzan mere hours before the dinner event began. Emily Post didn’t pre-board.

After years of packing suits and formal wear, we are so done with it! So hoping my hubby’s khaki pants and either polo or bottom down and my sundress or other casual dress will suffice even on elegant night.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

After years of packing suits and formal wear, we are so done with it! So hoping my hubby’s khaki pants and either polo or bottom down and my sundress or other casual dress will suffice even on elegant night.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On a prior cruise I intentionally did not pack a suit, so over playing dress up. I informed our waiter that we would not be dining on Cruise Elegant night as we did not bring dress clothes. He saw my khakis and polo that I was wearing that night to dinner and he told me that was plenty elegant. There were some in suits on CE night, but a larger number in pants and shirt, including Polo.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

While I agree that if Carnival is going to go to the length of posting a dress code, they should enforce it, I can't for the life of me understand how what someone else is wearing across from me in the MDR makes one bit of difference to me?

I'm not talking about extremes here, but I'd object a lot more about personal hygiene than about the way they're dressed! I've sat beside some folks who should have a swim, since they obviously don't believe in showering, while others make you gag because they wear way too much cologne!

Exactly. We don't eat dinner early and a couple nights I like to hang out for a few hours in the afternoon up until I go get ready for dinner about 7:30. I have seen a wide variety in what people are wearing.

What's typical evening dining room attire for men?

What's typical on a Cruise Elegant evening for men?

The OP wants to know what is "typical" attire.

Per Carnival's dress code, you may wear dress shorts or jeans on regular nights, but from what I have observed in the MDR, you will definitely be in the minority and may feel underdressed. Typically I have seen khakis or pants, with polo shirts for men or Tommy Bahama style. But I have definitely also seen men more dressed up than that as well on regular night. Yes, you will see some men in shorts or jeans on regular nights, but not very many compared to most in khakis or pants. (note: shorts are not allowed in the steakhouse)

Per Carnival's dress code, you may not wear shorts or jeans of any kind on elegant night in the MDR. But you will definitely see people walking around the ship in shorts on those nights. Do some people get away with wearing them in the MDR ? Yes they do sometimes. Do some people get turned away, yes I have seen that too. The ones I have seen turned away looked very embarrassed, I would not want to be them. At a bare minimum on elegant night I typically see khakis and polo shirts. Most of the men are wearing slacks with button shirts and ties, sports jacket, or suits. And while I do see a whole lot of tuxes on elegant night (typically I have seen 30-50), more are wearing just shirt & tie, jackets, or suits than tuxes, but you won't feel out of place wearing either.

From Carnival's FAQ ... https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:A-Vs_d3FQZAJ:https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1093/~/what-to-wear---evenings+&cd=12&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-b-1

Main Dining Room(s)

Following is the dress code in the Main Dining Room(s) for both men and women and pertains to children as well:

Cruise Casual Dress Code

• Men: sport slacks, khakis, Jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long) and collared polo shirts
  • Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, Jeans (no cut-offs) blouses and tops
  • Not permitted: Cut-off Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Cruise Elegant Dress Code

• Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo
  • Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown
  • Not permitted: Jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

Daytime Attire & Lido Buffet Attire ... https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:JLrtdHpn7S4J:https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1125/~/what-to-wear---daytime+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-b-1

I think a lot of people see what they want to see and ignore the rest. "See honey, I'm not the only one in shorts, I've seen 3 other men in shorts". Or, "See honey, there are 15 men in tuxes". Both of them feel like they "fit in".

On a prior cruise I intentionally did not pack a suit, so over playing dress up. I informed our waiter that we would not be dining on Cruise Elegant night as we did not bring dress clothes. He saw my khakis and polo that I was wearing that night to dinner and he told me that was plenty elegant. There were some in suits on CE night, but a larger number in pants and shirt, including Polo.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Thank you for the reassurance on whether we will be allowed in CE night. We have cruised for many years, and in the beginning I actually packed a whole suitcase of shoes and plenty of dress clothes for both of us. We just got tired of doing that, and our vacations are much more relaxed now without all that nonsense. That was why we loved NCL so much. It was much more casual. But for those that enjoy lugging all those clothes, go for it! A vacation is whatever you want it to be.

My husband wears khaki shorts and T-shirt’s every night except formal. He has never been turned away and definitely is not in the

We’ve been on 8 cruises just since 2017 (over 55, close to Galveston) and I haven’t seen a total of 30 tuxes.

Shorts and a Tommy Bahama, sub khakis for Cruise Elegant. Back in shorts for the show. Never had a buffet dinner, don’t plan on it.

I believe Jordan was responding about the “t shirt” comment. Per Carnival dress code rules, t shirts are not permitted in the MDR. Why posters continually take the time to say “I’m gonna wear a t shirt for dinner in the MDR” can be most likely attributed to ignorance of the rules, pot stirrer for these threads, or self entitlement. Most likely a combination of all 3

Non elegant night ,I wear shorts and a t-shirt , not a plain white one ,but 1 from an island port ect Never had a problem getting in ,,not even looked at

For our next cruise I’m not packing more than what fits in a carry on, and/or possibly a backpack. I will have a collared shirt and long pants for Elegant night, but I’m done packing suits/ties etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk