Caribbean Princess Propulsion Problems? True or Fixed?

JUST CRUZIN

We're booked on the 8/11/2018 cruise from Fort Lauderdale to Grand Cayman, Roatan, Costa Maya, and Cozumel. Does anyone know what a typical Western Caribbean itinerary out of FLL looked like before the adjustment?

Itinerary from the brochure:

Day at sea

Grand Cayman 7 AM-4 PM (now 8 AM - 4 PM)

Roatan 10 AM - 6 PM (now 12 noon - 7 PM)

Belize City 7 AM - 6 PM (now Costa Maya 8 AM - 6 PM)

Cozumel 10 AM - 10 PM (7 AM - 9 PM)

Day at sea

Day at sea

Day at sea

Thanks for this! Besides Costa Maya as a replacement for Belize City, it looks like the worst change was two fewer morning hours in Roatan, which is not too bad especially since we get three more morning hours in Cozumel.

We were on the Caribbean in March. After our last port of call, we lost 2 hours taking a seriously ill passenger back to Aruba. They went over 20 knots during the night, making up ALL the lost time, and arrived in Ft. Lauderdale ON TIME. The propulsion "problem" is very minor.

Just returned from a sailing on the Caribbean Princess and we were not aware of any propulsion problems. All the port's times were just as planned as far as I could tell.

See post #51 above for an example of how port times and itinerary hve been changed so that things can go as planned for the new itinerary, not for the original one.

It seems to me that there must be something wrong with the ships propulsion system.

The cruise leaving on 10/29/18 from Princess Cays doesn't arrive in St Thomas until 10/31/18 at 1:30 PM. :eek:

Arriving at that time of day is almost unheard of. Something is definitely wrong.

The CB has minor propulsion problems in one of the generators that power the screw. Each has its own power generation system. They have tried many times to fix it but have not been able to identify the problem hence the ship cannot operate at full propulsion but rather a slightly slower speed. Since both screws need to operate at the same speed to keep them balanced then the ship has to cut back slightly. The CB is fully capable of operating at 18 knots and it has been reported that they can go as fast as 20 knots. Top end is generally around 22 knots. A knot is 1 nautical mile/hour. A nautical mile is equal to 1.15 mile.

Day at sea

Day at sea

Hmmm...my trip on 7/28 still lists Belize City on Day 4 even though the times for Grand Cayman and Roatan are updated. Cozumel is now listed as 9 AM - 9 PM

It seems to me that there must be something wrong with the ships propulsion system.

The cruise leaving on 10/29/18 from Princess Cays doesn't arrive in St Thomas until 10/31/18 at 1:30 PM. :eek:

Arriving at that time of day is almost unheard of. Something is definitely wrong.

This is the sort of thing we encountered on our Panama partial transit cruise...very short and odd port times at several locations. Limon was an all day stop, Grand Cayman was decent (2 pm departure). Others were short.

This is the sort of thing we encountered on our Panama partial transit cruise...very short and odd port times at several locations. Limon was an all day stop' date=' Grand Cayman was decent (2 pm departure). Others were short.[/quote']

If I were going to an island I've never been to before I doubt if I would choose the CB but since we sail mainly for the ship experience it doesn't make that much difference to us.

It would be disappointing to arrive at St Thomas at 1:30 although the ship stays till 9 PM.

Even the shops at Havensight shut down at around 5 PM or so.

satxdiver: just be slightly correct your insight into the problem, the issue is not with the diesel generator sets on board the ship. There are 6 such sets, and the power from them can be distributed as required to propulsion motors or the hotel requirements of the vessel. The current problem is with the actual electric motor than turns the shaft. Some of the electrical windings within that motor are not working, and thus the motor can not turn as fast as when all the winding are in good order. During the refit they will either: A) cut a large hole in engine room plating, remove the defective motor and then place a new one aboard, or B) strip down the defective motor and rebuild it while it is in place within the engine room. So far, it would appear that option A is favoured.

satxdiver: just be slightly correct your insight into the problem, the issue is not with the diesel generator sets on board the ship. There are 6 such sets, and the power from them can be distributed as required to propulsion motors or the hotel requirements of the vessel. The current problem is with the actual electric motor than turns the shaft. Some of the electrical windings within that motor are not working, and thus the motor can not turn as fast as when all the winding are in good order. During the refit they will either: A) cut a large hole in engine room plating, remove the defective motor and then place a new one aboard, or B) strip down the defective motor and rebuild it while it is in place within the engine room. So far, it would appear that option A is favoured.

With a defective winding, either replacement of the motor, or replacement of the winding will require cutting a hole in the hull for access.

Hmmm...my trip on 7/28 still lists Belize City on Day 4 even though the times for Grand Cayman and Roatan are updated. Cozumel is now listed as 9 AM - 9 PM

The itinerary that was in my post was the one for the cruise the person posting was on. It might not apply to any other sailing.

• 3 months later...
Sailed on CB in April. Hadn't been fixed at that point. Not a problem at all. Had a great cruise.

Yes we did too Back in March. But we lost time and they skipped Cartagena. Which was one of the reasons we took the trip. You can do better on some of Princess other ships and not skip ports.

If the wind is blowing to hard they will reduces your time in ports. We love the Caribbean Princess but will not book her till they fix the problem.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Although the CB will have an extensive dry dock next year with the hull being opened to facilitate the repairs we experienced no issues on our cruise 2 weeks ago. She made good time (18knts). You could see the results of the lack of propulsion in the wake (port side). We would have no problem sailing her again pre or post DD.

Do yourself a favor don’t book Caribbean Princess to they fix the engine.

We love the shop but will not book till the engine is fixed. Been on her 3 times but never again. Till it’s fixed

We were onboard for the Eastern Caribbean in June and again in August for the Western Caribbean. When we booked the Eastern cruise, the itinerary had already been altered so we knew what we were getting. Apparently Grand Turk or Amber Cove had been dropped. Had a fabulous time anyway. For the Western cruise, there was no change in itinerary.

What is your reasoning for this? I'm curious as we are on her 11/25 sailing.

Less port time and if winds are blowing strong they miss ports we were on the ship in March and they skip a port because of strong winds. Not that they could not dock at the port but because they could not sail at normal speed. We have sails The Caribbean Princes 3 times and we love the ship. We are booked on a princess cruise but we skip the Caribbean Princess.

Just got off the Caribbean on Saturday. We were at 18-19.5 knots daily. No vibration or rattling all week. Didn’t know of any possible issues, just smooth sailing.

We know that. We we’re on it in March no problems except. We were one of the first trips right after the problem and they had to adjust the stops and island time. So now when you book you know the stops and times. We will not sail Caribbean Princess till

After it’s fixed.

We were onboard for the Eastern Caribbean in June and again in August for the Western Caribbean. When we booked the Eastern cruise, the itinerary had already been altered so we knew what we were getting. Apparently Grand Turk or Amber Cove had been dropped. Had a fabulous time anyway. For the Western cruise, there was no change in itinerary.

Yes you will have a wonderful time on the CP. We always do, we have a princess cruise booked on the Royal. Will not book the Caribbean Princess till it’s fix.

• 7 months later...

The ship is not in drydock yet but they are trying to get the stator parts out of the motor and I can tell you it is not an easy task my son is working on that motor and he said it is a bloody nightmare hot dirty and very dangerous take a look at the size of the man standing by this 19000 kW DC motor

He works for Sulza

received_1686583711487330.jpeg

received_675765846188383.jpeg