Mykonos, Greece suggestions please

I visited Mykonos on a Disney cruise and did an excursion to Delos to see the ruins. After the excursion, we walked around and explored on our own. We ate outside along the water. We loved it all. Mykonos was one of my favorite places to visit of any cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We didn't go to the beach while we were there. We took a boat to Delos and when the tour was finished we were dropped off in town where we roamed on our own. There was an area along the water that had restaurants/cafes. We picked a table outside facing the water where we ate. When we were ready to head back, Disney had a free shuttle that we took from the main town area back to the pier where we were docked.

So from the cruise pier you can walk along a beach? That would be great!

We had a free shuttle bus from the cruise port that dropped us off near the town, it was only about 5 minutes. If you then walk through the town towards the Windmills , there is a beach in the next bay after the windmills. Only a 15-20 minute walk in total.

Mykonos town is lovely to walk around, (be sure to try a Gyros) or take a transfer to a beach. We have also been on a fantastic cycle tour of this beautiful island with Yummy Pedals, it involved a lovely greek lunch and wine tasting too at the end and visited a beach, a church etc..

I did the excursion to Delos as well - which was awesome, but it ate up the whole day and I didn't really get to see but a half an hour of Mykonos. To me the best part was when we pulled back to Mykonos proper, I got off of the excursion boat, bought a little donut like treat, and we walked some of the streets. The sun was setting and it was gorgeous. Then we walked along the water back to the pier.

Sorry I don't have great advice to offer for Mykonos, but thank for bringing a fond memory to mind and allowing me to reminisce!

Judy

I spent a week on Mykonos.

The good beaches are not walking distance from the port. But there are shuttles in the summer season or you can take a taxi. Or even rent a car.

The restaurants overlooking the harbor at the town are OK, but not the best. Inside the town has better restaurants. Check Trip Advisor for reviews. My reviews are under Pinecone-sw.

Delos is a great trip. Amazing ruins and a nice museum. Once there, there are tour guides, and we took a guided tour of the ruins and museum.

I've been to Mykonos twice, but not as someone who was on a cruise. Each time I went there I was there for a week - my last time being in 2015 with my mom and sister. There are three choices you can do that should take care of your time there at the island.

1. Head into Chora / Hora Mykonos (i.e. the main town). There are tons of shops to browse around in, lots of restaurants, etc. You can get there by foot, but it'll be a bit of a walk - maybe 15 min or so. I've pulled up the shore excursions for Jewel of the Seas to get an idea of what they offer for Mykonos and the only excursion that takes you into town is the Mykonos & Assimomitis Wine Tasting tour. If wine isn't your thing, then skip this and go into town on your own. The boat docks at 7am and departs at 6p, so the amount of time you get to spend in town really isn't enough, especially if you want to take things at your leisure.

2. Go to the beach. When we stayed in Mykonos in 2015, we stayed around the Ornos Beach area, which is a pretty good place and apparently quite a few cruise day trippers go there (we met quite a few). The Kalafatis Beach excursion REALLY takes you out of the way and far from town. We never went there, so I can't speak for what the beach is like, but the drive to get there looks like quite a long one. Same goes for the Elia beach excursion. Looking at both of these on Google Earth, they really seem devoid of any amenities. At Ornos Beach, there are places to eat and on this one section of the beach, the umbrellas have these ordering buttons on the pole of the umbrella so that you can order food from this restaurant called Kuzina. That beach will fill up, so try to get there sooner than later.

3. The sacred island of Delos. I did this back in 2001 with a friend of mine. Yeah, it takes a bit to get there, but it is kinda neat to wander around the ruins and learn a bit of history of the island. The amount of time for the excursion - 3hr30min - is plenty of time on the island as this will give you enough time to check out the main town of Mykonos or even give you time to go to the beach on your own when you get back.

If you plan on going to any beaches, just make sure they're on the south side of the island and not on the north side. The excursion to the monastery in Ano Mera is nothing too spectacular (we went there in 2015). So, there you go. You can basically save your money by not doing their excursions - except for the Delos excursion - and do things on your own.

• Like 1

Delos was AMAZING if you're into geology like me....the hike wasn't too strenuous. Our tour guide, was knowledgeable as well as her living in Mikonos. Wish I could remember her name!

We then ate at a restaurant overlooking the bay area eating Greek food, drinking wine, and below you could see our cruise ship Brilliance. That was a very memorable moment. Such a beautiful place!

I was there in maybe 2011 and from my recollection there really wasn't much for taxi's available. They did exist, just not that many. You might want to have a pretty solid "confirmed" plan for transportation before "winging" it there.

The town itself was quite pleasant to walk around and explore. Seemed intentionally confusing and designed to frustrate invaders or something.

Shop! Such fun stores of all price ranges. I have had so many compliments on the sandals and the bracelet I bought there. Such a charming town. It was so much fun wandering through the charming streets. I opted for some fantastic gelato near the shore, not a meal, but so many restaurants looked lovely. I would to go back and spend a week the way some of the other posters have been able to do.

The Kalafatis Beach excursion REALLY takes you out of the way and far from town. We never went there, so I can't speak for what the beach is like, but the drive to get there looks like quite a long one.

If you plan on going to any beaches, just make sure they're on the south side of the island and not on the north side.

NOTHING is that far a trip on Mykonos. You can drive from end to end in maybe 45 minutes. :D

And the north side beaches are not bad. And tend to be less crowded. But not all the beach side venues.

But that could be a good thing, considering the numbers of speakers they were hanging the south side beach venues. I suspect sound pressure levels in excess of 120 dB. :D

If you tender, you’ll tender directly into Mykonos Town. If you dock, you’ll either need to take a very long walk, take a shuttle to the beach and then walk from there, or take the local ferry. Mykonos Town is so picturesque; just strolling around it all day is magnificent. See the windmills at the edge of town, and take a pic of Little Venice from there. Lunch at Katerina’s is a must; get there early and request the corner balcony table. Both times we went to Mykonos, we regretted not swimming at the little beach between the shuttle drop-off and town. The water looks soooo inviting, so a quick dip would be recommended. Have fun! Mykonos is one of my fav spots in the world!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums