Did you know? Learned something new today from Carnival

setsail1975

Tonight I was doing my usual “mock” booking on the current cruise I have booked and have paid in full. We are currently booked in an inside cabin , which we are fine with. I noticed when I went to price my inside category, an option came up for an additional $3.20pp /pd you can choose a stateroom with a port hole. So for curiosity I clicked on it and low and behold it was approximately $10.00 less then my current booking, which again is paid in full.

I decided to give Carnival a call and ask if we could make the change to the cabin with the port hole, thinking we’ll at least we’d be able to see the outside and it’s cheaper...... Well, according to the Carnival agent I spoke with she said she’d had to charge me a $50.00 per person change fee because if I changed my cabin from an inside to a port hole it’s considered a DOWNGRADE!!!! I didn’t realize that there could possibly be a lower category than an inside.

Has anyone ever heard of this before? In my head I’m thinking how can going from no window to 2 port hole windows not be considered a step up!! I’m wondering if my agent I spoke with made a mistake or is this possible?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can think of at least two scenarios. Do the cabins have the same bed arrangements and are they on the same deck?

Many port hole cabins are not classified as outside. Some "inside" cabins have picture windows, and some even have french doors. An inside cabin midship is rated higher than a forward inside cabin, even with a port hole.

No, the agent is correct. The basic inside cabin is a 4A, which is aft and forward down on the Riviera deck and middle on that deck is 4B. The next deck up is 4B forward and aft and 4C in the middle. This is the basic structure. On these bottom two decks there are also 1A and PT cabins, which are both classified as lower than the basic 4A or above, which I am assuming you have. PT cabins are always on the bottom two decks and are always all the way forward, some have twin/king bed setups, while others have a twin bed and a single sofa bed. Because of this, they are lower on the totem pole than the basic 4A and are considered a downgrade. On certain ships, there are even some 1A's that have picture windows. There's an entire thread devoted to these cabins.

The agent is correct, however this is a pathetic attempt by the cruise line to grab some more cash. The spirit of the rule is to not allow someone to downgrade and get more money back than they would if they just cancelled. However, in this case it is clear that this is an upgrade to you, and they should have some latitude to make the change without all the nonsense.

That is my opinion based on my three years of working is reservation/res admin for them. There used to be a culture of doing what made sense for the customer and company, however now they don't seem to be able to think on their own.

I dealt with them the other day because my price went down. I am outside of final payment and can have the lower rates until final payment, as I do not purchase the silly early saver fare. It took 30 minutes, two agents, and a supervisor to do the math to understand that my fare was lower than what I paid. they kept telling me the rate was higher, and I got to the point that I asked for someone who either could do basic math or knew how to use a calculator.

No, the agent is correct. The basic inside cabin is a 4A, which is aft and forward down on the Riviera deck and middle on that deck is 4B. The next deck up is 4B forward and aft and 4C in the middle. This is the basic structure. On these bottom two decks there are also 1A and PT cabins, which are both classified as lower than the basic 4A or above, which I am assuming you have. PT cabins are always on the bottom two decks and are always all the way forward, some have twin/king bed setups, while others have a twin bed and a single sofa bed. Because of this, they are lower on the totem pole than the basic 4A and are considered a downgrade. On certain ships, there are even some 1A's that have picture windows. There's an entire thread devoted to these cabins.

I understand the PT cabins are lower on the stratosphere. However, in the OP post, she says that for” an addition xx.xx pp/pd” doesn’t that mean higher category? I wonder what the site was pricing as the basic interior?2"{\•

As a sometimes solo cruiser, I know all about the "inside" with portholes--I even had to teach a pvp about them. Those are usually a solo's go to since they're often less expensive. The ones I get on the Conquest class ships only have single beds though, and a couch that converts. These used to be discounted when I first started cruising, but since then, Carnival has caught on and sometimes makes a person pay a premium for them. And I also know that unless you will be paying more for a stateroom change, they will charge you for a stateroom change.

If you do anything on easy saver they charge $50 pp. Has nothing to do with upgrade or down grade. Only thing that is free is if there is a price drop within your specific category.

That is 100% not true. You only get charged $50 for a name change (if they allow it - mixed reports from people), and if you cancel the cruise. Penalty is $50 per person and the rest to be held as a future cruise credit.

I can think of at least two scenarios. Do the cabins have the same bed arrangements and are they on the same deck?

Many port hole cabins are not classified as outside. Some "inside" cabins have picture windows, and some even have french doors. An inside cabin midship is rated higher than a forward inside cabin, even with a port hole.

I’m currently booked on deck 1 inside midship on the Sunshine 2 twins to a king bed, Early Saver. The Porthole was same deck, same bed configuration but forward.

That is 100% not true. You only get charged $50 for a name change (if they allow it - mixed reports from people), and if you cancel the cruise. Penalty is $50 per person and the rest to be held as a future cruise credit.

I've had Carnival do name changes, but at the $50 fee

I would just call again and make my request and you might get someone who will just do it for you

I thought the same thing . I did call at almost midnight last night. Though' date=' from what I’m reading and I was unaware I guess the agent was correct. I guess I’ll try and see if the Upsell fairy gives me a call. If not the inside is fine with us, it’s just my husband and I this trip. We really don’t care too much about the rooms . I just thought the port hole would have given us some light. We will just keep the tv on the channel with the camera of the front of the boat as our window... lol... Thanks for the feedback:)

I’m currently booked on deck 1 inside midship on the Sunshine 2 twins to a king bed, Early Saver. The Porthole was same deck, same bed configuration but forward.

Based on that description, you are in a category 4B cabin. The category PT cabin would be considered a down grade and that is not allowed with the Early Saver rate. Sorry, one of the restrictions of the Early Saver rate. Perhaps if you call again and explain that you are not looking for any money back, just the PT cabin they will allow it but I wouldn't hold my breath.

For the poster who stated that the category PT cabins are only located on deck 1, you are wrong. There are approximately 4 of them located on multiple decks on the ship.

Based on that description, you are in a category 4B cabin. The category PT cabin would be considered a down grade and that is not allowed with the Early Saver rate. Sorry, one of the restrictions of the Early Saver rate. Perhaps if you call again and explain that you are not looking for any money back, just the PT cabin they will allow it but I wouldn't hold my breath.

For the poster who stated that the category PT cabins are only located on deck 1, you are wrong. There are approximately 4 of them located on multiple decks on the ship.

Yeah, I wasn’t looking for the money back. I just was thinking of moving. I get confused with all of Carnival’s rate classifications what’s allowed and what isn’t. I’ve just jumped back over to sailing on Carnival after a long hiatus.

The industry in general has changed so much.

It used to be all for customer satisfaction now I feel it’s all about the dollar. Getting less for more.

On Fantasy class ships, which have more portholes than any other class the lowest passenger cabin deck is deck 4. There are porthole staterooms on decks 4,5,6 and 7. And on most Fantasy class bookings the lowest priced cabin is a 1A. There is then a small upcharge for a non 1A interior and a slightly larger upcharge for a porthole.

Edited by NavarreCruiser

On the Sunshine there are 4 on deck one and 2 on deck two. Portholes are only on decks 1 and 2.

On Fantasy class ships, which have more portholes than any other class the lowest passenger cabin deck is deck 4. There are porthole staterooms on decks 4,5,6 and 7. And on most Fantasy class bookings the lowest priced cabin is a 1A. There is then a small upcharge for a non 1A interior and a slightly larger upcharge for a porthole.
I stand corrected. Have not been on a Fantasy class ship for 7 years and will never cruise on one again. 70K tons just doesn't cut it anymore when you've sailed on 130-165K ton ships 9 times.

If you do anything on easy saver they charge $50 pp. Has nothing to do with upgrade or down grade. Only thing that is free is if there is a price drop within your specific category.

I was thinking they must have early saver. I booked a past guest rate so we could cancel and or make changes and the price was only $2 more a person, I feel that is worth it for peace of mind.

I stand corrected. Have not been on a Fantasy class ship for 7 years and will never cruise on one again. 70K tons just doesn't cut it anymore when you've sailed on 130-165K ton ships 9 times.

Many people share your opinion and only like the larger ships. The smaller and older ships are usually less expensive and sometimes feel less crowded with shorter lines. I have sailed on the 45,000 ton Carnival Holiday and on the 3 largest ships at sea the 225,000-ton Oasis class from Royal Caribbean. I have had some very enjoyable experiences across both fleets.