Give Me A Reason to Sail on the Horizon

April42749

I have a hold on a cabin on the Horizon which expires in about 8 hours.

I'm not loyal to any cruise line. We sail based on date, itinerary, price etc.

So...I'm looking at June out of NYC (our home) and have to choose between the NCL Escape to Bermuda and Carnival Horizon to the Caribbean.

Both ships are new to us....although the Horizon is really new!

Pros and Cons of what's important to us:

1. Cabin: Carnival wins big time here. I have a hold on the last available interior on the Horizon Lido. Excellent location! With the Escape (I'd probably go for the balcony) the cabin itself is about the same size but the balcony is small. The price on the Escape guarantee balcony is about $300-400 more than the Horizon Lido. And DH really likes the lido.

2. Food: NCL wins. We eat at the buffet and I eat vegetables (not a vegetarian....just healthy eating). NCL has unlimited choices. Based on my Sunshine cruise last Sept. Carnival has very limited choices. I'm not saying I'd starve....I just wouldn't have the variety. I've read Vista reviews, and from what I read, the variety is similar to the Sunshine. Can anyone who sailed both lines confirm (especially Vista) there were less choices than NCL for the buffet?

3. Entertainment: Reading Vista reviews, people are unhappy with the Liquid Lounge....no raise so unless you're tall, you have no view. However, on the Sunshine there were seats above the main floor which were perfectly fine. I am wondering if the people complaining didn't want to sit higher up. Since nobody has been on the Horizon yet, nobody knows. But, if you've been on the Vista, please confirm there is elevated seating around the main floor.

4. Itinerary:

Escape-Been to Bermuda twice. It's nice but nothing special. We'd be there 2 full days and one short day.

Horizon-San Juan (been there once), Grand Turk (been there a few times...liked it), Amber Cove (new for us). However, the ship leaves Grand Turk and Amber Cove early (2:30 and 3;00 pm). We are "afternoon people" so this is a negative.

Sorry for rambling....and thanks for reading this. The deadline for my hold is rapidly approaching and I don't one someone to grab that Lido cabin.

I have a cruise booked for December for my hubby and myself, we have not sailed Carnival since 2007 but we are looking forward to this ship. We sailed the ESCAPE a few years ago and it is my favorite ship (it was only my 4th cruise so I'm not a newbie but not a seasoned cruiser). Loved the ship, we had a balcony on 14 near the back, we are going on NCL in 2020 and we look forward to maybe getting on the ESCAPE again. Good luck, you will enjoy either.

I checked our "wonderful cabin" based on Vista reviews, and it seems that there will be vibrations from the IMAX. So....although I'm still deciding which ship, no need to rush since "the wonderful location" would be less than wonderful.

There are going to be pros and cons of both. If you are saving $400 you can either pocket or spend. If you're concerned about the food, the Horizon will offer you fantastic specialty dining choices. If the $400 is put towards that, it could give you a better food experience than the Escape.

The Escape is a gorgeous ship. None of the glaring Vegas-style decor of years past; it is very tasteful and sedate. My wife described it as looking like a boutique hotel. It is huge, but we never felt lost or overwhelmed. If you get a balcony (or even an oceanview) on NCL, you can get your drink package and specialty dining package for "free" -- you still have to pay the gratuities on each of them. Le Bistro is really good, and the Brazilian restaurant is as good as any Texas de Brazil. You really can't go wrong with a Breakaway-class ship.

Never sailed on Horizon. Sounds like the itinerary is better than the Escape's.

I Did the Escape and the Vista. I'm booked on the Horizon. Both great ships. You didn't state the length of the cruises. I like the Escape ship slightly better than the Vista. If you're doing the 8 day southern to Grand Turk and Aruba I'd like that better than a 7 day Escape. Food was way better on the Escape than the Vista (Horizon sister ship) last year.

Decisions, decisions......

As it turns out, I found a Youtube review of "this wonderful cabin" on the Vista, and the poster was concerned about noise but she reported back that it was quiet.

The cost isn't really a concern....just something to note as to value. It's always better to get the same value for less money, no matter how much money you have.

As to the food, we eat out just about every day so dining isn't "a special treat" and I don't like "fine dining". Give me a plate of "no carbs, no meat" and I'm happy. (I stared at the food in Cagney's on NCL...and gave it to DH). With that being said, I can make due with "limited vegetables" for a week if everything else is ok.

The deck plan shows a double level in the Liquid Lounge...so that's ok.

Now....we just have to decide if the itinerary will be ok (because of leaving the ports early).

Right now I'm leaning towards the Horizon (and will do the Escape in the fall). Just waiting for DH to get off the phone and look at the Youtube of that cabin on the Vista.

We loved the Vista.... We did have a cabin in Havana area...which made it especially nice. But I walked the ship many times and I liked the flow. Horizon will also have a few differences such as the Barbeque/brewery.... WE were very happy with the food...especially the beef choices and food came out very hot. So hopefully that carrysover to Horizon. IMO....Carnival staff and service are consistently the friendliness and one/if not the best in comparison to their competitors.

I've been on neither but I did want to point out the Vista and Horizon have what looks like a large salad bar called "Fresh Creations" the other carnival ships like the Sunshine don't. But maybe it's only on sea days? I love a good salad bar as well so it caught my eye.

I've been on neither but I did want to point out the Vista and Horizon have what looks like a large salad bar called "Fresh Creations" the other carnival ships like the Sunshine don't. But maybe it's only on sea days? I love a good salad bar as well so it caught my eye.

Thank you.....that's the kind of response I was hoping for.

Now DH wants to find out about the Havana. I'm going to give Carnival a call and see if any are available and the price difference. If that doesn't work....I should be booking within an hour!

Fresh Creations is in the Serenity area, open for lunch only. They have an incredible list of ingredients, they make you a custom salad. But, the lines are long and move slowly.

I checked our "wonderful cabin" based on Vista reviews, and it seems that there will be vibrations from the IMAX. So....although I'm still deciding which ship, no need to rush since "the wonderful location" would be less than wonderful.

I cant speak to any of the other questions, but I was in 10219 on Vista in October (Lido interior.) No vibration & very quiet. Perfect location for us.

Go with Horizon and you can enjoy that "New Ship Smell!"

Yeah...we're going with the Horizon.

I'm the cruiser. DH claims he only goes to make me happy. So...I let him make the final decision.

He picked the Horizon for 2 reasons.....the lido location and "the new ship smell"