What's with the BANGING of doors!

AmBear

Can't believe how much Banging of Balcony and Cabin entry doors goes on!:eek:

Instead of a safety muster, a teaching of how to quietly shut your cabin/balcony door with banging it so half the ship can hear!:mad:

So is it a ship design flaw, or just rudeness?

Balcony doors are under heavy spring loaded closers so doors cant be left open. Newbie cruisers dont know this and walk in or out the door and let it slam behind them. If Carnival would just add shock absorber closers so they dont slam but instead close gently it would solve this issue but apparently when designing ships and ordering door hardware they just go with whats cheap.

That's the main reason why I don't book Carnival balconies. It can be extremely irritating and affects my enjoyment. But if they could fix it, then I wish they would. Until then the only way I'll book another balcony is if it has a sliding glass door like Celebrity.

People just let go and let it slam. I can understand the first time, but then you HAVE to know it's loud as hell and rattles the wall next to you. They are really easy to hold on to and close quietly. Or at least without a loud bang. If you're unable or unwilling to do so, then you should book another type of cabin. Others paid just as much for their cruise and deserve not to be disturbed.

The cabin doors I would think could be fixed with some sort of device that allows it to close a little more slowly thus lessening the noise. But yeah, it's once again rudeness. Same thing in hotels. How they don't realize that it echos and affects other cruisers is beyond me. I think they do and really just don't care. If not, then they are dumb beyond fixing.

Bring this $7 item with you that can be bought on Amazon, and all of your issues with door slamming are resolved. BTW...it is a 2pk, so if your neighbor keeps slamming their door, hand them one too.

https://www.amazon.com/Wittle-Finger-Pinch-Guard-Proofing/dp/B0199JMEWE/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1520627625&sr=8-3&keywords=door+close+stopper

This complaint pops up on every cruise line board now and then. I think it's twice as bad on Carnival because of the swinging balcony doors. Most cruise lines use sliders.

Anyways, I applaud you for starting this thread. If just one person reads it and realizes to themselves that they let the doors slam behind them, we've made progress.

In case anyone wondered I'M the one who comes on board with 4 "Please do not slam your door; simply hold it until it closes. Thank you." notices. I have only had to place 2 in mailboxes for it to stop.

Where can I get some?

This complaint pops up on every cruise line board now and then. I think it's twice as bad on Carnival because of the swinging balcony doors. Most cruise lines use sliders.

Anyways, I applaud you for starting this thread. If just one person reads it and realizes to themselves that they let the doors slam behind them, we've made progress.

Agreed!!!

That's the main reason why I don't book Carnival balconies. It can be extremely irritating and affects my enjoyment. But if they could fix it, then I wish they would. Until then the only way I'll book another balcony is if it has a sliding glass door like Celebrity.

People just let go and let it slam. I can understand the first time, but then you HAVE to know it's loud as hell and rattles the wall next to you. They are really easy to hold on to and close quietly. Or at least without a loud bang. If you're unable or unwilling to do so, then you should book another type of cabin. Others paid just as much for their cruise and deserve not to be disturbed.

The cabin doors I would think could be fixed with some sort of device that allows it to close a little more slowly thus lessening the noise. But yeah, it's once again rudeness. Same thing in hotels. How they don't realize that it echos and affects other cruisers is beyond me. I think they do and really just don't care. If not, then they are dumb beyond fixing.

Agree 100% with everything you said!

Glad to see it wasn't just me!:D

First, I agree with what has been said.

We always try to be very cautious with our doors, no matter where we are staying. On our last cruise, the only way we could get the room door 'to close' was by slamming it. We told our room steward, but it never changed. I hated doing it every time.

Anytime between the hours of 9pm-10am, I will make sure that my doors are completely silent. But if it's anytime outside of that frame, I don't worry about the noise they may make. It's not that I intentionally let my door slam. I just don't "think about" the sound of my door. Loud doors can be annoying when the party people call it a night. But I'm not going to tiptoe around during the daytime hours.

Sent from my Moto Z Droid.

Anytime between the hours of 9pm-10am, I will make sure that my doors are completely silent. But if it's anytime outside of that frame, I don't worry about the noise they may make. It's not that I intentionally let my door slam. I just don't "think about" the sound of my door. Loud doors can be annoying when the party people call it a night. But I'm not going to tiptoe around during the daytime hours.

It doesn’t matter the time of day for me I am courteous all the time. You never know if there is someone like a child sleeping or someone might not be feeling well and trying to rest. Manners shouldn’t have hours.

Sorry, gonna disagree with you, its not tip toeing to be polite!

Having respect for fellow passengers 'should' be a 24 hour deal!

Some people sleep late, some take a nap, others enjoy quiet, whatever!

Imagine how you'd feel if someone woke you up with banging doors!

With 2000 plus passengers, there will be lots of people who have different hours then you, and honestly I'm grateful, cause it makes the ship less crowded if we all don't follow the same schedule!

I think in some cases people are simply unaware.

I would agree with you, especially when it's new or relatively new cruisers. People are often not aware that their behavior is adversely affecting other people (especially in a new surrounding) until it is mentioned and then it's "oh, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to ......" I know, common courtesy, civility and an awareness that you're not the only person on the planet would seem to be in most folks' minds and avoid those situatins but apparently it is not these days. :(

Can't believe how much Banging of Balcony and Cabin entry doors goes on!:eek:

Instead of a safety muster, a teaching of how to quietly shut your cabin/balcony door with banging it so half the ship can hear!:mad:

Just lots of inconsiderate people with NO manners.

Balcony doors are under heavy spring loaded closers so doors cant be left open. Newbie cruisers dont know this and walk in or out the door and let it slam behind them. If Carnival would just add shock absorber closers so they dont slam but instead close gently it would solve this issue but apparently when designing ships and ordering door hardware they just go with whats cheap.

"Shock Absorbers" would not allow the door to latch under pressure. Maybe better/softer gasket would do the trick. Or better signage "DO NOT SLAM DOOR" would be best, although most people don't read.

OMG! My DH who is NOT a newbie cruiser would do this all the time and it drove me nuts!

I would tell him, just hold the door closed. He would for a minute and then later, he would come out on the balcony for like 10 seconds and then go back in without holding the door. UGH!

To me, it's just so rude. How can anyone not be aware of this?!

I would agree with you, especially when it's new or relatively new cruisers. People are often not aware that their behavior is adversely affecting other people (especially in a new surrounding) until it is mentioned and then it's "oh, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to ......" I know, common courtesy, civility and an awareness that you're not the only person on the planet would seem to be in most folks' minds and avoid those situatins but apparently it is not these days. :(

On mentioning the door slamming and getting positive results. I agree; to a point. I've seen to much human behavior in this world to prove your point more wrong than right.