We had to cancel last minute

seeriteR

We had to cancel our MSC Divina cruise at the last minute due to a family matter. The cancellation is not covered by insurance. I realize we are forfeiting our cruise fare but that is not the issue. (No, we are not "rich" but we determined the situation warranted canceling last minute.)

We did not embark on the cruise. I contacted MSC 4 times before finally getting a response from reservations. I asked what would happen if we just didn't show up. She replied, "Nothing, but don't cancel unless you are absolutely sure. Wait until the last minute. You can still embark in NYC."

So, my questions are: Do I need to do anything? We did not pre-book any activities with MSC. Will MSC charge me for anything beyond the paid cruise fare, like gratuities?

I know we cannot be the only ones who have had this situation.

I'm sorry you have had to cancel. The main stream lines in the USA will typically refund port taxes and government taxes if you cancel. These add up to quite a bit of your fare. I just had a quote come in where the Cruise was $649 and the taxes were $419, so you might be able to get back more than you think. I'm not sure if this policy is different across the pond, but it sure won't hurt to ask. Best of luck to you.

I am sorry you have to cancel. We had to cancel last year also. We contacted our travel agent and she cancelled our cruise. We did not get a refund. MSC has clear rules how much you have to pay if cancelling according to the time of cancellation. I think it is on their terms and conditions.

Ivi

We missed Grand Cayman in February and did not get port charges refunded either. I am also a once and done with MSC. We had so many problems with them that even if it was a free cruise I would turn it down.

Interesting. I thought it was an actual law that if a port was missed, passengers must be refunded the port taxes. Spent a few moments this morning looking it up and realized there isn't a law, there is good faith on behalf of the cruise line. NCL refunds port taxes as last year missing Falmouth the captain came on the PA to say we were missing the port and that our taxes would be refunded. I turned on the TV to my account and they were already posted! Quick scan shows NCL, RCL, Carnival, HAL, etc.. all refunding port taxes for missed ports. Apparently, MSC does not adhere to the same good faith clause :(.

I still think it's worth asking the question. The non-commission portion of your cruise (taxes and fees) are significant.

Even if the port taxes were only $10 a head for missing Nassau x 5,000 passengers that is a good chunk of change for the cruise line to retain. BOO to any cruise line not instantly refunding a tax that was collected but not charged.

You should get taxes and port charges back.

I just got off the phone with MSC to formally cancel our cruise. The agent said he would send the cancellation to Accounting and they would begin the process of refunding the taxes paid.

Thank you all for the many comments. My original questions were not answered but they are no longer relevant to me. Hopefully, I will never have to go through this again!