Onboard the Victory, initial Impressions

L1211

Deck four, where muster was held, appears

To be closed. I was hoping it would be a deck where you could walk around the ship, but access is restricted. That space is on deck three and is below the life boats so that may also be an issue. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No access to Ionian room?? (To be fair it’s not easiest venue to find)

Enjoying your review :)

This also applies with the muster drill. It's dictated based on the layout of the ship and where the lifeboats are located. All conquest class ships muster drills are held on deck 3 outside. I much prefer those held inside!

Victory is not a Conquest Class ship, however, Muster Drill is held on Deck 4 of both classes of ship where the top of the lifeboats are.

Man am I glad you gave UPDATES about the Victory.....

Pre-cruise- we stayed in South Beach pre-cruise here's another public service announcement. We took Uber from Fort Lauderdale to South Beach, I accidentally used UberXL instead of UberX that cost $85 for the trip - unless you actually need a large size SUV you need to make sure you only use UberX….

You used UberXL (what size of SUV was that).... How much was that trip from Ft. Lauderdale to South Beach?

I'm doing the samething I have 7 people..... Did you think to use Lyft?

Damn great review and pics!

Did they scan your S&S cards for Muster?

They did not. But somehow knew my twenty something were asleep in their room and woke them... much appreciated by mom! We had different musters.

Quick question, can you buy the bucket of beers with Cheers?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Sorry I don't know. I couldn't buy a mini Martini tasting for $20 because it was multiple drinks. If it is priced as one I'm guessing not.

No access to Ionian room?? (To be fair it’s not easiest venue to find)

Found it! Easiest bar on the ship to secure a drink in the evening! Albeit deserted. I meant the outside areas of 4 appear to be off limits. Cannot

Walk around the ship there like you can on some.

Wifi- what a bummer! I upgraded yesterday to the premium from the mid-range package, what a waste of $22 that was! I ended up using my AT&T in Mexico yesterday so could update my review with pics and work. Today at sea, I have to leave my room and go to 5, the promenade just to get an email to load. I cannot upload any photos (and dinner last night was awesome-need to share food pics!). Cannot check email from outside on 9 either and even the carnival hub won't load in my room. Boo carnival for selling "premium wifi". It is anything but...

Breakfast on the last sea day. Wow, finally tried the buffet. I used the tips from my other post about the extensive lines we've encountered on this trip. So, this morning I walked for 45 minutes then hit the breakfast buffet at 9:30. Being a seaday, assumed everyone was at brunch, which we intend to do as late as we can at 1:30 given we do dinner about 8:45. My plan worked - no line! But, the food was not edible. So, no win there. Everything was cold. Not lukewarm, cold. Cold scrambled eggs, cold eggs Benedict, cold potatoes. It was absolutely terrible. Im not a fan of buffets to start with but that is typically about experience, not ap much the food. On the Victory buffet, they have the tray they are serving from in the front and the next tray prepared and waiting behind it. So, when you get to the food, who knows how long it has been queued up behind the first try awaiting to be served? When not busy, I'd say long enough to get really cold! Pretty terrible...

Edited by L1211

Man am I glad you gave UPDATES about the Victory.....

Pre-cruise- we stayed in South Beach pre-cruise here's another public service announcement. We took Uber from Fort Lauderdale to South Beach, I accidentally used UberXL instead of UberX that cost $85 for the trip - unless you actually need a large size SUV you need to make sure you only use UberX….

You used UberXL (what size of SUV was that).... How much was that trip from Ft. Lauderdale to South Beach?

I'm doing the samething I have 7 people..... Did you think to use Lyft?

Damn great review and pics!

Hey thanks! We're having a blast! Loving the victory. The Uber XL was $85 from FLL to South Beach. Uber X would have been cheaper. We only had a regular SUV, but I'm guessing he had a back bench seat that would fold up to make it an Uber XL. That would have given it 6 seats. 7 if you put three in the third row bench. Not sure how many seat belts are in third row benches tho? Enjoy your cruise!!!

Here's another observation and comparison to NCL, carnival has very few announcements. It's quite refreshing. There are only a few throughout the day and most are NOT trying to sell you something. That's a pleasant change!!!

Wish I could post more pics now! We're having a wonderful seaday-brunch was amazing! But internet at sea is terribly slow. Will not load a picture. Will finish up tomorrow from the airport. Excited for you! Would definitely sail the Victory again!!

Sorry I don't know. I couldn't buy a mini Martini tasting for $20 because it was multiple drinks. If it is priced as one I'm guessing not.

I have confirmed no buckets of beer with cheers. Sorry!

Greetings fellow cruise critic members, many of you were so helpful as I was researching for my first carnival cruise since the 1980s, I thought I'd share my initial impressions of the victory with you!

Flight - we flew into Fort Lauderdale yesterday on a flight that was to arrive at 11 AM would you believe most of the flight was full of folks with Sunday cruises. after a three hour delay and over an hour to receive our luggage those individuals actually missed their cruisers - many were out of Fort Lauderdale and some even out of Miami. It was heartbreaking… So this is my public service announcement for flying in the day before your cruise!

we stayed at the Gates Hilton Doubletree Hotel in South Beach. Can't say I would recommend this hotel for a couple of reasons, most is location. It was in North South Beach on Collins Avenue. This is clearly not where the action is the action in South Beach is definitely south of there on Ocean Drive. The hotel is fairly new and seems to have some real service issues it was difficult checking in but I was definitely not the only one, lots of service issues.

We had dinner at Hua Hua's tacos on Lincoln Avenue. It was fabulous! I actually received this referral from a post I made yesterday and a wonderful cruise critic member posted a link to the best taco shops in Miami. Thank you so much! I highly recommend this place - the prices were great - it was counter service and the guacamole was fresh and the tacos divine and the Mexican beers were ice cold. We loved it!

Easy Uber ride with UberX not ask Al, to the port this morning was only $18 and took less than 15 minutes. We had purchased faster to the fun and I loved it! We checked in and we're on the boat and all of about 15 minutes we arrived at 11:30 but could have actually boarded sooner they were already boarding when we arrived.

We brought two bottles of wine on board as we had two cabins and that couldn't have been any easier. One was in each carry-on and they just went right through security, no questions asked.

We were able to go straight to our rooms and our keys or available at our doors. We dropped off our luggage and bottles of wine and headed to lunch.

Cabins- I was actually surprised at just how much I loved the cabins. We have an ocean view on 2 and a balcony on 8. I could not believe how big the ocean view room is - quite spacious with a lovely view and room for everything. The balcony just as spacious and although the balcony is small, it's still quite functional. The rooms are clean and the Decour bright and fresh we were really quite pleased with the cabins.

Here comes my first criticism so far - I've spent the afternoon working in my cabin on eight, I am in 8255 which happens to be right by the stairs. Sitting in my cabin at my desk, I can hear every word spoken in the hall outside my cabin. I've had people standing by the stairwell making phone calls or just having conversations and literally can hear every single word. I expect as drinking goes on in the night gets long that could be quite intrusive when you're trying to sleep.

The Ship- this is my first Carnival ship and I have to say my initial impressions, I find it really crowded. Maybe that's just a embarkation day experience. The lobby on 3 seems to be incredibly tight and the people flow difficult.

Lunch- speaking of tight, the buffet was crazy, again maybe just an embarkation day thing. Lines everywhere, and no where to sit. I went to the seafood shack and really enjoyed it. I had a lobster roll and it was quite yummy. I am not a huge crowds person so will be interesting to see how this week goes.

Here's the cabin. More pics to come! a325f2b49089e3afcd174e0ceec881e6.jpg27cb23ce3696e65216ead73a3db00ace.jpga7a57ab0f9c8b72f2111e20b5f753368.jpg

Exactly why I always stress to people to always fly in 1-2 days prior to cruise!! So sad for those people missing their ships!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Pardon the random thoughts but how great is water delivered to your room for $4.50 for a case of 12?? And, the fridge was empty so could put the water right in the fridge and always have access to cold

Water in the room. Way to go Carnival. This is an awesome benefit!!! Love it. Water is about $2 per bottle on NCL. Crazy.

I’m sailing Carnival next March after cruising the past 2 years with NCL, and I noticed the price difference in water. I couldn’t believe it! I know I will be ordering water for my cabin!

Muster Drill - oh carnival, move this inside!!! What gives with lining 9e8f3dbd26ffee53abdb4e34e53c7bff.jpg us up outside??? It's a pretty cool day in Miami but I could see where this could be truly miserable in the heat. Or for those with mobility issues. Time to evolve, in my humble opinion...

Oh, my, that’s crazy! I thought everyone did them inside now days! I haven’t done an outside muster in years! I agree. Time to evolve, Carnival!

Formal night seemed like a bit of a bust. Here's the dinner menu. Really nothing more special than the night before? Food was great - warmer than the night prior. Service was efficient but totally lacking personality. Funny how that effects the overall experience. d7d6bca9abc9963dd1c03f05e8dea325.jpg

The wait staff dance was a total surprise for my daughter who has only sailed NCL. Her face says it all!

ab9a96194d3242d728ef7f8a8eb3a409.jpg

We had a blast! But I think once per cruise would be plenty.

f84ecf7d438751f36c62c3d6b3a84974.jpg

4755f6766ab95ecd20c453dd1f2bcfcc.jpg

Me and my lovely. Here's to the good stuff. The reason I cruise! Time with young adult children is priceless!!

42a1e63a6574056fcbfa894296c19b52.jpg

I agree. We sailed with our two youngest daughters before they both married, and had a blast! This was before drink packages, and they ran up a $2000 sail and sign bill to my charge card! Lol! But those were wonderful memories. Hoping to get the whole family (5 children with spouses and 14 grandchildren) together for our 50th Anniversary cruise in March 2020.

Here's a idea for you Carnival. This space outside the lobby on 3 is totally wasted!!! Turn it into a space like the Waterfront on NCL! It's perfect for that and could take crowd relief off the lobby. It just needs a bar and some comfy seating and i feel sure it would be a huge hit. The Waterfront is a favorite from the Away class ships and something I miss on this ship. 5940c6d5372282fa90980634198cf585.jpg

That’s a great idea! My last 2 cruises on NCL Getaway were great, and we loved the Waterfront!

Loving your review! Keep it up. Seeing all these pictures are making me really anxious for my cruise next month. After you’ve done many cruises with the same line, things seem so familiar and you start missing them. As soon as I step onboard, I feel like I am “home.” And until I can be home again, I’m loving vicariously through you. [emoji4]

Are these complimentary options?

Yes, those are all free of charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums