Just booked my first RC cruise! REALLY excited!!! Any tips or suggestions???

Hello!! We have cruised on carnival several times and NCL once. I just booked my first RC cruise on the Brilliance of the Seas for March 2019. 5 day to Cozumel and Grand Cayman. I am taking my 14 yr old daughter for her first time! I am really excited to try RC!!!

So being new to RC does anyone have any tips or suggestions?? Things that might be different from other lines?

I selected any time dining because that it was we are used to. Dress on NCL was extremely causal for dinner, is RC similar??

Sorry, I am just so excited! lol

Welcome! I was on Brilliance in December, so let me see.

-I’ve found the first night of MTD to be chaos, so this is a good night to eat in a specialty restaurant or the Windjammer buffet.

-Make reservations for MTD or else you may have to wait a bit.

-The Windjammer has outdoor seating in the back (past the desserts) which is wonderful. There’s a glassed in area and an open air area depending on weather.

-Brilliance shows movies both on the pool deck and in a small movie theater on deck 6.

-You should get towel animals every other night.

-On one sea day make time to eat lunch in the MDR and get the Tutti salad. They make a custom chopped salad for you in the center of the dining room.

I haven’t been on NCL, but MDR dress may be a bit less casual. You will still see jeans and t-shirts, but I find most folks try to dress a little nicer than their day clothes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When are you able to make dining reservations?

Last time we did My Time Dining, I made the reservations 5 months prior. Make sure you establish an account on the website and just keep checking until reservations open up. Probably by 5-6 months out, but check early.

Another comment. I read where Carnival only does Cabin Service once a day unless you ask for twice daily. Royal Caribbean still does twice daily. If you want Ice in your room just tell your Cabin Attendant when you board.

A couple of differences:

Royal has no equivalent of Carnival's FTTF.

Royal has no equivalent of Carnival's Early Saver. Royal does have a non-refundable deposit, but it does not include the best part of Early Saver, which is the price drop after final payment date.

We were on Brillance this past January. Loved her! Strongly recommend making dining room reservations. I believe show times were 7 and 9, so keep that in mind when making reservations. When you first arrive onto ship, there is a lot of pressure to purchase packages, I recommend you get what you want online ahead of time (drink packages, excurisions, etc) and keep on moving and explore the ship. Definitely enjoyed the outdoor seating of the Windjammer. Also, the bistro in the solarium had wonderful roast beef sandwiches and a great place to find a quiet table on that first day and avoid the windjammer crush. Enjoy the entertainment in the Centrium. A drink card is offered a day or so into the cruise - 10 drinks for $75. We are not big drinkers, so this was a good option for us to share.

We love Coco Cay, best beach ever. We went to Key West instead, not so great, but that’s not important. Cozumel was nice, we did the Monster Jeep excursion- had a great time!

That’s it for now. We loved Brillance and would go again in a heartbeat. Our next cruise is in one year on Freedom. We took advantage of the sale just ending and got a nice price for a Junior Suite! Can’t wait!

Enjoy your cruise!

A couple of differences:

Royal has no equivalent of Carnival's FTTF.

Royal has no equivalent of Carnival's Early Saver. Royal does have a non-refundable deposit, but it does not include the best part of Early Saver, which is the price drop after final payment date.

I did select the refundable deposit. I am booking over a year out so it gives me some time incase plans would change and I needed to cancel.

So if the price dropped prior to my cut off could I just cancel and rebook? I’m surprised they don’t have some kind of price guarantee 🤔

I did select the refundable deposit. I am booking over a year out so it gives me some time incase plans would change and I needed to cancel.

So if the price dropped prior to my cut off could I just cancel and rebook? I’m surprised they don’t have some kind of price guarantee 🤔

If the price drops before final payment date, Royal will normally grant you the lower price. They also have a 48-hour price guiarantee, but that expires 48 hours after initial booking.

I think the biggest difference between carnival and ncl in comparison to royal Caribbean is the free food options are very limited on royal after 9pm. The Buffett closes early and they don’t have 24 hour ice cream, they don’t have good pizza we ❤️ carnivals pizza! We loved ncl’s food in general the speciality dining and the main dining room! We loved the crepe stations on ncl! Royal doesn’t have great options for food in comparison but we enjoyed the main dining room. The other stuff like slides and pools and the surf simulator are where royal truly shines! I’m not familiar with the ship your cruising on but Royal is a nice line and a change of pace! You will have fun, just know coming into it that it’s a different experience!

-Make reservations for MTD or else you may have to wait a bit.

where do we make these reservations? Online before we go (I couldn't find anything on the RC website) or on board ship earlier in the day?

Thanks! Our first RC cruise is also coming up.

where do we make these reservations? Online before we go (I couldn't find anything on the RC website) or on board ship earlier in the day?

Thanks! Our first RC cruise is also coming up.

Within a few months of your cruise, you should be able to make your dining reservations, from the dining section of your cruise planner. If you change your mind about a dining time, you can change once onboard...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think the biggest difference between carnival and ncl in comparison to royal Caribbean is the free food options are very limited on royal after 9pm. The Buffett closes early and they don’t have 24 hour ice cream, they don’t have good pizza we ❤️ carnivals pizza! We loved ncl’s food in general the speciality dining and the main dining room! We loved the crepe stations on ncl! Royal doesn’t have great options for food in comparison but we enjoyed the main dining room. The other stuff like slides and pools and the surf simulator are where royal truly shines! I’m not familiar with the ship your cruising on but Royal is a nice line and a change of pace! You will have fun, just know coming into it that it’s a different experience!

So there’s no food after 9pm???

Hello!! We have cruised on carnival several times and NCL once. I just booked my first RC cruise on the Brilliance of the Seas for March 2019. 5 day to Cozumel and Grand Cayman. I am taking my 14 yr old daughter for her first time! I am really excited to try RC!!!

So being new to RC does anyone have any tips or suggestions?? Things that might be different from other lines?

I selected any time dining because that it was we are used to. Dress on NCL was extremely causal for dinner, is RC similar??

Sorry, I am just so excited! lol

Tips or suggestions?

Book another cruise that leaves before March 2019? :')

Seriously though - just enjoy yourself! Royal Caribbean has been great, and I can't see cruising with any other line.

(just don't get sucked into the Diamond pitches)

So there’s no food after 9pm???

You can get room service all night for an upcharge ($8 per order). Cafe Promenade is open 24/7 and has sandwiches and baked goods for no charge. Sorrentos is also open 24/7, but I have to be pretty desperate before I go there - the pizza is just not good. ;)

You can get room service all night for an upcharge ($8 per order). Cafe Promenade is open 24/7 and has sandwiches and baked goods for no charge. Sorrentos is also open 24/7, but I have to be pretty desperate before I go there - the pizza is just not good. ;)

Ok whew lol. I’m not a fan of the pizza on Carnival so I should be ok. We aren’t huge late night eaters but it’s nice to have to option available if we eat an earlier dinner.

Thanks!

Within a few months of your cruise, you should be able to make your dining reservations, from the dining section of your cruise planner. If you change your mind about a dining time, you can change once onboard...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

only saw that it was for specialty restaurants - I'm already signed up for any-time-dining.

do I have to reserve my time for anytime dining?

only saw that it was for specialty restaurants - I'm already signed up for any-time-dining.

do I have to reserve my time for anytime dining?

No, reservations are not manadatory for My Time Dining.