Do we even need a drink package?

Our family of 2 adults and 2 kids under age 12 are going on our first cruise this spring on Freedom of the Seas. I purchased the Refreshment Package for my husband and I, but recently came across something that said certain drinks are included in the cruise fare.

We typically have a couple of cups of coffee in the morning, don’t drink soda or virgin cocktails. The four of us will typically order water, sparkling water, tea,

lemonade, or occasionally juice at restaurants, We may have a couple glasses of wine or beer throughout the 8 days.

It sounded to me as if most of what we drink is already included. Does it sound like we would even use the drink package? Thanks in advance for your help - we are new to this!

We did not buy any drink package. Tea and coffee and juice is available free of charge as is lemonade and iced tea. We bought drinks a la carte and also bought a 10 drink card on day 4 of our 9 day cruise. We used it for fancy drinks! I think the price was 88$ including 18% gratuity. We didnt miss not having soda at all.

Our family of 2 adults and 2 kids under age 12 are going on our first cruise this spring on Freedom of the Seas. I purchased the Refreshment Package for my husband and I, but recently came across something that said certain drinks are included in the cruise fare.

We typically have a couple of cups of coffee in the morning, don’t drink soda or virgin cocktails. The four of us will typically order water, sparkling water, tea,

lemonade, or occasionally juice at restaurants, We may have a couple glasses of wine or beer throughout the 8 days.

It sounded to me as if most of what we drink is already included. Does it sound like we would even use the drink package? Thanks in advance for your help - we are new to this!

You wouldn't need it based on what you are describing. The exception is fresh squeezed OJ which is charged. I believe the OJ from concentrate is complimentary.

I get the refreshment package for the OJ fresh squeezed, iced coffees, virgin drinks and bottled water. I then pay as I go for liquor or wine.

You’re probably wasting your money. The biggest reason to get the refreshment package is for the Virgin cocktails and specialty coffee.

If you don’t drink Virgin cocktails and are fine with plain drip coffee (and aren’t looking for mochas or something like that), then you don’t need the refreshment package at all.

The refreshment package also covers soda (which you said you don’t drink, but if anyone JUST wanted the soda portion of the package, there is a soda package that doesn’t cover the Virgin cocktails and coffees and is much cheaper than the refreshment package).

You’d have to pay for sparkling water, beer and wine as you go. Sparkling water is covered under the refreshment package but is probably not worth paying $26/day for (or $18/day when the package is on sale).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You’re probably wasting your money. The biggest reason to get the refreshment package is for the Virgin cocktails and specialty coffee.

If you don’t drink Virgin cocktails and are fine with plain drip coffee (and aren’t looking for mochas or something like that), then you don’t need the refreshment package at all.

The refreshment package also covers soda (which you said you don’t drink, but if anyone JUST wanted the soda portion of the package, there is a soda package that doesn’t cover the Virgin cocktails and coffees and is much cheaper than the refreshment package).

You’d have to pay for sparkling water, beer and wine as you go. Sparkling water is covered under the refreshment package but is probably not worth paying $26/day for (or $18/day when the package is on sale).

Thank you for all of the info. Most of the time we would probably just order drip coffee, and we would need to purchase the alcohol on top of the drink package we purchased anyway. Hopefully we can cancel. Thanks again!

Thank you for all of the info. Most of the time we would probably just order drip coffee, and we would need to purchase the alcohol on top of the drink package we purchased anyway. Hopefully we can cancel. Thanks again!

It's very easy to cancel. Just go to your Cruise Planner, where you bought it in the first place. Look in your calendar. There will be a button to cancel.

Juice is only included at breakfast, if ordered throughout the day you have to pay for it.

The included water is tap water, not bottled water. It´s perfectly fine to drink, just need to be aware if this, as I know some people would only drink bottled water.

I never buy any package.

Juice is only included at breakfast, if ordered throughout the day you have to pay for it.

The included water is tap water, not bottled water. It´s perfectly fine to drink, just need to be aware if this, as I know some people would only drink bottled water.

I never buy any package.

Never buy the package either. Tap water is perfectly fine to drink - after all, that’s what they make all of the food and ice cubes from. If you want juice during the day, just bring sports bottles and fill at breakfast - also good for having cold water by the pool or on excursions. Just fill from a glass, not directly from the spout. You can also bring two bottles of wine per cabin at embarkation.

And I know this will garner many responses, but I have found that over the last few years or so if I drink the tap water (and I drink ALOT of water) I seem to get more swelling around my ankles etc. When I switched to bottled water it stopped. Don't know what changed from when we first started cruising, but something did:(:(.

The package allows you to pick up bottles of water as you go (from bars) and take back to your room to have for excursions and just drinking while in the room (I love to have water available in the late evening or middle of the night).

I don't care for the free flavored water, but the tap water is great, and I actually like the free coffee and hot tea. The complimentary drinks and then adding the drink card when available works well for light drinkers on a budget. The card can be shared too which is a big plus.

To me the coffee in the windjammer and dining room is the worst coffee I have ever had. They do sell a coffee card that gives you 15 espresso based coffees for $31 plus gratuity. The good thing is the card can be shared and any leftover punches on the card can be carried over to the next cruise. The card can be purchased through the cruise planner or after you get on board.

I never buy any package.

Never had a problem getting juice in MDR for lunch/dinner. My grandkids ordered, no drink package, but no problems; never charged. Perhaps you have to pay if you order from a bar, but not in MDR.

You can bring two bottles of wine onboard per stateroom as well.

As mentioned coffee on board is buffet coffee, can splurge and try an espresso drink onboard before trying card to see if it suits you. Just left Allure and cards were not offered but after a few drinks I ended up asking for one for draft beer and got it. Drink packages didn’t seem heavily pushed like they have been in the past though either.

That being said we always get a case of bottled water for the convenience.

Just be aware that they don’t always offer the 10 drink card. We were on Freedom last week and did not see it offered.

I was on the FOS 2/25 sailing and saw them selling the 10 drink card at any bar. I believe it was on day 3 since it was a 6 night cruise.

And I know this will garner many responses, but I have found that over the last few years or so if I drink the tap water (and I drink ALOT of water) I seem to get more swelling around my ankles etc. When I switched to bottled water it stopped. Don't know what changed from when we first started cruising, but something did:(:(.

The package allows you to pick up bottles of water as you go (from bars) and take back to your room to have for excursions and just drinking while in the room (I love to have water available in the late evening or middle of the night).

That's good to know. We drink a lot of water, and ordered the Evian liters delivered to our room. It's obviously much more than we would spend normally, but I had heard that some experienced swelling as you did. Thank you!

I never buy any package.

That's usually the only time we might drink juice, so that's helpful to know. Glad to see that so many do not purchase the package and are just fine. Thanks!

Never buy the package either. Tap water is perfectly fine to drink - after all, that’s what they make all of the food and ice cubes from. If you want juice during the day, just bring sports bottles and fill at breakfast - also good for having cold water by the pool or on excursions. Just fill from a glass, not directly from the spout. You can also bring two bottles of wine per cabin at embarkation.

Good idea on the sports bottles, and we are for sure taking advantage of bringing our two bottles of wine! Thanks!

You don't need to buy one. We buy the refreshment package because we enjoy specialty coffees every day, diet soda, sparkling water, bottled water, and virgin cocktails. I usually buy it when it is $18 per person, per day.