Why did Viking stop going to Istanbul?

zitsky

It sounds like a nice trip Venice-Istanbul. Why did Viking stop that trip? Terrorism at the airport, political instability etc?

Many cruise lines stopped calling in Turkish ports a couple of years ago, you may remember there was an attempted coup in 2016 and some terrorist attacks on places such as night clubs have made the news. https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/turkey

Yes I'm aware of those. I wonder what it would take for them to go back. Viking still does a Nile cruise and there have been some problems there. A few terrorist attacks in Europe but Viking is still there. They can't cut off a big part of their business.

Yes I'm aware of those. I wonder what it would take for them to go back. Viking still does a Nile cruise and there have been some problems there. A few terrorist attacks in Europe but Viking is still there. They can't cut off a big part of their business.

Maybe a little peace and quiet?

Agree. Istanbul is an incredible international city and the people are wonderful. Turkey is an amazing county steeped in history.

We were scheduled on the Empires of the Mediterranean when it was planned from Istanbul to Venice. Viking did not make the change until after the bombing at the Istanbul airport, even though there were a couple incidents before that. We were resigned to the change at that point, even though we were terribly disappointed.

We were scheduled on the Empires of the Mediterranean when it was planned from Istanbul to Venice. Viking did not make the change until after the bombing at the Istanbul airport, even though there were a couple incidents before that. We were resigned to the change at that point, even though we were terribly disappointed.

Did Viking take care of all changes to your schedule, flights etc? Did they move the trip to Athens?

Did Viking take care of all changes to your schedule, flights etc? Did they move the trip to Athens?

There has been talk that Viking is going back but not until next cruise season- 2020 or 2021 at the earliest. Too bad , it’s a Wonderful City to explore.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There has been talk that Viking is going back but not until next cruise season- 2020 or 2021 at the earliest. Too bad , it’s a Wonderful City to explore.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We could always do it the old fashioned way, with a flight and hotel. Make our own arrangements.

We were also on a Viking cruise scheduled to start in Istanbul and indeed Viking did all the travel arrangements to move flights etc to Athens which was the new embarkation point. We are in the UK and our deal included flights. However several other people on board wished to see Istanbul and made private arrangements to visit there first and then they flew to Athens to pick up the ship. We had previously been to Istanbul and could quite understand their desire to see it. There was a lot of talk about it somewhere in the Viking thread and also I think on the Ports of Call thread. I think there may have been some compensation but of course those that booked expected to start in Istanbul whereas now that isnt an option.

Yes, they did take care of flight issues. The embarkation point was changed to Athens, and there were some other adjustments to the cruise itinerary. They dropped Istanbul and Ephesus (so disappointed), but added Koper, Slovenia and Zadar, Croatia and I may be forgetting another change as we went from one sea day to none.

It was still a great trip, and I can certainly understand why they and most other cruise lines dropped those ports. I hope they will be reinstated at some time.

Toured Istanbul on our own before our Silversea Med cruise. So glad to have been there and other places in Turkey. No issues with the populace. Unlike much of Western Europe, the general population away from cabs, Western hotels and major tourist attractions may not speak much or any English. Made for an amusing trolley ride that ended well.

Sadly we stood in 2 different places right where 2 future terror bombings would take place. Hopefully the city etc. will again become a safe place for tourism.