Project Runway?

BlueHerons

Alexandras outfit was horribly made and looked a "hot mess". Kate has been in the top most of the season-I hope youre right that they bring her back for some reason because she deserves to be there.

Sometimes I think the judges get bad cases of group amnesia..... I don't think Kate has been in the bottom all season, then one bad outfit and she's gone?

There is also debate as to whether getting aufed is supposed to be based on this week's design only, or the entire season thus far. I have seen episodes where the judges promote both theories, so there is no consistency whatsoever.

I still liked the winning look as well as Braden's outfit so I can't complain too much but I really thought Kate would make it to the finals.

Ultimately, I am afraid that Kate lost on three counts: 1. bad design, 2. poor workmanship, and 3. bad use of the patterned fabric. The others, I think, at least made good use of their self-designed fabric. It was the "pattern" challenge, after all, and in previous seasons, designers of good-looking garments had been eliminated for not using (or not adequately using) their pattern. But then again, designers who inadequately used their pattern but created great garments also squeaked by on this challenge in the past, so I guess, ultimately, anything goes. But Kate had neither a good design nor good use of the patterned fabric.

Yeah, I do wonder about the concept of "being sent home based on one garment" vs "getting some credit for having done good work in the past." Which way the judges were leaning in this debate has been discussed over various seasons, but never nailed down, I think. (At least not so the audience knows which to expect.)

Ultimately, I guess the judges get to decide however they want to, and whether "potential" plays into their decision seems to vary from season to season and challenge to challenge. Maybe they held Kate to a higher standard than the others, because she'd already had her "training" in the previous season she'd competed in, and should have by this time been doing consistently excellent work.

Who knows?

Just got a chance to watch the show. I am SO happy Dom's dress won. It was incredible.

As to Kate... As I recall she was voted to come back by the fans. The judges have no reason to like her -- they seldom favor come-back-kids. She had the giant advantage of going through the process before -- and seeing her performance that other season. I wouldn't be surprised if the judges weren't itching to get rid of her.

The sketch for her dress was really nice. She just didn't seem to be able to see that the execution was not working (pleats too dominant, panels too small). That's the great divide between sketching and stitching -- the design has to be workable in three dimensions using fabric. And the designer has to be able to step back, see that, and adjust.

Here's link to the color chart for spring 2014 so you can plan your cruise attire accordingly (hahaha):

http://www.pantone.com/pages/fcr/default.aspx?season=spring&year=2014&pid=3

Hi Ladies...I generally read along but haven't ever posted before...

I figured there would have to be a double elimination at some point because Tim Gunn used his save...so there would be too many designers left in the competition for the time passing.

I have to say that Justin is probably my favorite personality at this point and I really hope that he can stay in the competition...though I'm not confident in that being a strong possibility. I loved the idea behind his design the most but found myself wishing that he had incorporated more vibrant colors to capture the idea of the service work in Africa that his inspiration was known for.

Here's link to the color chart for spring 2014 so you can plan your cruise attire accordingly (hahaha):

http://www.pantone.com/pages/fcr/default.aspx?season=spring&year=2014&pid=3

Thanks for the link. Crazy but true: just yesterday I went to Target with my 14-year old to buy him a couple of polo shirts -- guess what colors were available!!! It was so strange to see the chart supposedly for Spring 2014 after shopping yesterday.

So it is not only women who will be wearing these colors -- this fall my son will be in "Placid Blue" and a slightly greyed-off version of "Radiant Orchid!" Hopefully he won't outgrow them by next spring, and will still be "on trend." :D

Edited to say that I just noticed a tab on the Pantone page that shows the upcoming men's colors -- only a couple of differences.

Edited by SeagoingMom

Another opinion on the final 8 who showed at fashion week. Also, a spoiler on the inevitable twist the final 3/4 have to deal with after arriving with their collections. So, don't read unless you want to know.

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/fashion/09-07-13-spoiler-alert-iproject-runway-i-season-12-winner-emerges-in-hair-raising-finale/

I can already hear the groans from those of you who check out this link. haha. I agree.

Another opinion on the final 8 who showed at fashion week. Also, a spoiler on the inevitable twist the final 3/4 have to deal with after arriving with their collections. So, don't read unless you want to know.

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/fashion/09-07-13-spoiler-alert-iproject-runway-i-season-12-winner-emerges-in-hair-raising-finale/

I can already hear the groans from those of you who check out this link. haha. I agree.

Yuck, yuck, yuck if he is correct about the winner.

The one he/she thought should win? Or the one he/she though would win? I'm actually with him on the latter -- atpit.

The one he thinks should win (I am definitely not "hip and modern" as he calls this person's collection). I wouldn't mind the one he thinks will win.

I loved Bradens look but I thought that Doms look while avant-garde was also really wearable. When Emmy Rossum put on the jacket it looked like REAL clothing.

I liked the jacket much more on Emmy Rossum (without the jumpsuit). I may be able to wear white anytime of the year but I can't get over the "no mixing prints rule". It was way too "busy" for me.

They went on and on about how versatile Helen's re-do was. I can't see most women wearing that cropped top out to lunch or a meeting in too many places (maybe New York and LA). I did love the skirt but I really saw nothing of Kate's outfit in it. Did Helen use any of the fabric from the original?

I did not care at all for Alexandria's ripped and torn Goth look.

I liked the jacket much more on Emmy Rossum (without the jumpsuit). I may be able to wear white anytime of the year but I can't get over the "no mixing prints rule". It was way too "busy" for me.

They went on and on about how versatile Helen's re-do was. I can't see most women wearing that cropped top out to lunch or a meeting in too many places (maybe New York and LA). I did love the skirt but I really saw nothing of Kate's outfit in it. Did Helen use any of the fabric from the original?

I did not care at all for Alexandria's ripped and torn Goth look.

I also wondered what Helen used from the original. I don't think she used anything. She had used this same silhouette before! Why didn't they call her out on that?

LOVED Dom's look. And she didn't even show them the jumpsuit on the runway! Talk about under-selling.

Agree about Helen's redo. I couldn't spot the old fabric. Plus, no one but an actress or model should wear that midriff-out thing for business. Please.

I'm glad they're doing the three in competition. Since the designers are doing/have done their collections anyway, why not use them?

My preference for auf'd for the finals would be Helen. But that's as much about her drama as her designs. I have mixed feelings about all of them design-wise. But I do just love Justin.

LOVED Dom's look. And she didn't even show them the jumpsuit on the runway! Talk about under-selling.

Agree about Helen's redo. I couldn't spot the old fabric. Plus, no one but an actress or model should wear that midriff-out thing for business. Please.

I'm glad they're doing the three in competition. Since the designers are doing/have done their collections anyway, why not use them?

My preference for auf'd for the finals would be Helen. But that's as much about her drama as her designs. I have mixed feelings about all of them design-wise. But I do just love Justin.

Helen is such a crybaby! She always needs Tims help-who will be there to help her if she goes out on her own? There no crying in fashion lol

She also did that torn fabric a few times already-I think shes a one trick pony. AUF! I love Justin and hope he stays and Im not thrille with Alexandria but I like some of her stuff.

I just wish the judges didn't always change their minds. Last week they sent home two designers in a hurry and this week, despite saying, "We had to make tough decisions," they made no decision at all and sent everyone away to make collections. Get some cojones and send someone home so you have four making collections. Sheesh. ;)

I really like Justin, too. He is probably not cutting edge enough to win the whole thing but he designs clothes that many women would/could wear. He had real courage taking on the dress that eliminated him and then made it something really nice.

I didn't immediately catch this from the article, but just read this on Project Runway's Facebook page - Ken refused to participate and Jeremy took his place. What utter arrogance!! I could only imagine that he would deeply regret that decision later, as all of the designers get recognition. I only hope there is more to the story, as this was just a few random people's quotes. Perhaps he was getting much needed therapy?

I didn't immediately catch this from the article, but just read this on Project Runway's Facebook page - Ken refused to participate and Jeremy took his place. What utter arrogance!! I could only imagine that he would deeply regret that decision later, as all of the designers get recognition. I only hope there is more to the story, as this was just a few random people's quotes. Perhaps he was getting much needed therapy?

Kens a moron for not participating but Im glad hes not, Id rather see Jeremy there.

Ahhh, that explains the missing Ken. I can't imagaine any aspiring designer turning down a chance to show at Fashion Week. Seems Ken has more than anger management issues.

Well to me Dom and Braden were obvious choices for the finale and I think Braden was a bit more avante guard than Dom so it was a good win for him.

As for the other three...

Helen was not at all avante guard with the orange dress and leaving the cocoon thingy off made it just an ordinary dress/gown. Her remake puzzled me as already stated she just seemed too take the colors of Kate's dress and made a version of her look from the week before. As often as they criticize designers for doing the same look over and over unless they edited it out their silence was deafening LOL

Alexandria was plenty avante guard but being all that flat black and just tacked when seen close up not so good...her redesign was OK but she did improve the pants

Justin did a great job with the avante guard design and it had some unique design with both pieces but it was pointed out that there was some imperfect sewing and the back zipper on his remake seemed crooked to me when the model walked away. He gets lots of points to me for taking on his own dress to remake and made it look very nice.

so in the end I think it came down to Heidi not giving on Alexandria and Nina not giving on Helen and the all have some concern on Justin's abilities (since they auffed him once already) so that is why we have the "design off". Plus it seems that they had set the precedent in the past to keep the interest in the show.

I have a soft spot for Justin, being from NC and over coming the limitations that happen from being deaf but I get the sneaking feeling that Helen will prevail much to my dismay :(

There were some impressive designs created for the Butterfly challenge. I do think it was wrong not to auf one though at this stage of the game.

I think Alexandria should have been sent home weeks ago. She is very one dimensional and often sloppy in her execution. I have not seen on thing she has designed all season that was at all appealing. The other designers dissing her as well spoke volumes IMO. I find her personality as boring and one dimensional as her fashion design.

Loved Dom and Bradon's designs. And Justin did well also.

Helen has never wowed me but she is at least more interesting than Alexandria.