Project Runway?

BlueHerons

Now a travel challenge I could get into is you people get two weeks, you need to design outfits that can fit both possible warm and cold climate, you need to chose the accessories and hygiene items, you need to plan for two formal nights, you can not bring an iron and you must all fit it in this one airline approved case that must weigh less than 50 pounds.

Could any of these designers do that?

:D :D Plus, it all must be able to be hand washed and dry within a few short hours. And...... make us look much skinnier than we actually are.

They would be our heros!

Angela is finally gone. It was long overdue, although I think that flying her to Paris to tell her she was off the show seemed a little mean spirited. At least now we won't have to listen to the Angela/ Jeffrey fights. Angela never deserved to make it this far. I was so sick of the rosettes!! Her outfit last night was horrible and so wrinkled. Who wears linen for traveling?!

I used to think the final three would be Michael, Uli and Laura with Kayne having an outside chance at the third spot but I changed my mind after this episode. I still pick Michael as the front runner to win and Laura as a finalist but I think Kayne will be eliminated soon. He and Vincent will be the next to go. Kayne does formal gowns well but that seems to be his limit. Any time they have asked for something else he is entirely out of his element. The Elvis costume last night was just terrible. Uli is also in trouble. Michael Kors gave her a warning shot last night that if she continues to do nothing but tropical wear she will be viewed as too one dimensional and won't be a finalist. Whatever she does for the next challenge it better not be in a loud tropical print. I like her clothes, but the judges want to see if she can do anything else. I hope she was listening because I would like to see her make the final three.

I actually think the judges are considering giving Jeffrey the third spot as a finalist. His clothes don't appeal to my taste but he is obviously an excellent designer. His clothes are well constructed but have a limited audience. They may just keep him in to mix things up, much the way they keep Santino in last season for the final three.

I actually liked Heidi's outfit last night. It the first thing she has worn this season I liked. However, she wears black too much.

I guess I disagree with some of you. I thought Laura's outfit was well made, but not attractive on her at all. The color didn't suit her and it didn't seem to fit what I would think of for jet set.

Kayne's outfit has really been picked on, but it is his style and it looked good on him. It seemed a little 70's retro looking to me.

I was very surprised to see Vincent's outfit. It seemed way too plain for someone trying to win a design competition. They should be out there trying to impress the judges each week and I'm not sure how he ever thought that it would leave an impression.

Uli's was similar to what she always does - pretty, but I agree she needs to mix it up a bit.

Michael's outfit was different and interesting. I'm not sure that he is my choice to win, but he's been really doing well lately!

I think we all dislike Angela and were ready for her to leave. Her outfit was just way too ugly - and I don't know anything about fashion, just know it was ridiculous. I can't believe she could feel comfortable in it.

Does anyone know what they are doing next week?

So, still haven't had two seconds yet to watch this weeks episode yet (probably over the weekend - give a big crossing your fingers and congratulations to me that I am this busy with work projects:) )...

Alright, here is the real deal...

Apparently...

So, all of the designers get to talk to their friends and family on the phone on a daily basis...

Angela and Jeffrey have not gotten along for a while now.

Angela has been telling her mom how much she hates Jeffrey, and he is so terrible, blah, blah, blah...

When it ended up through "luck of the button bag draw", that Jeffrey had to work with Angela's mom, the attempted sabotage "was on".

(Side note - it wasn't a thing where Angela's mom was picked last, because she was the most "plus size"...

There were "technically" more plus size ladies that were picked before her...

She was the last choice, because nobody was getting along with or liked Angela, so they didn't want to work with her mom. That was it, and the reason...)

Then here's two separate things:

#1 Apparently Jeffrey is REALLY nice in person (and according to a lot of people actually a really good, designer - Blue Heron;) )

and he is just putting on this whole "act" because he knows that it will get him more notice, and more attention. Think of previous reality shows where Richard Hatch from Survivor, and Omarosa from the Apprentice are among the highest paid guest speakers at events now. They have an entire career based on that.

#2 Jeffrey is apparently best friends with Alison and Robert...

He is apparently a really nice guy, as apparent from his real tears (he had a slight breakdown) from the past two weeks when his two best friends got Auf'd.

#3 Insider scoop, that really didn't get shown (except for subtley in the editing), Angela and her mom were the only designer and mom/sister who actively tried to give negative views and statements to get someone Auf'd. Every other mom/sister (again, as subtley seen in the editing ala Laura's mom, Jeffrey's mom, Kayne's mom, etc.), wanted their child/sibling to win, but also did everything they could (work the runway, say good things, etc. - especially note Vincent's sister, Kayne's mom, Uli's mom) to make their designer look good.

Apparently Angela kept stepping in (which wasn't shown a lot) and telling her mom how to "behave on camera", "what to say on the runway", in order to purposely sabotage Jeffrey.

No other family teams did this.

#4 The goal and challenge was to be "fashion forward, and to show your point of view". Not to please your client...

That being said, where it came down to is...

The judges think that Jeffrey has talent, and a strong design point of view.

It was not the best outfit, but it fit his point of view, and looked original (Commes De ***** goes to the Amish Country, but him, and original none the less)...

Robert (who totally should have done better), has done boring designs for weeks (at the very least Jeffrey is never boring), and made an outfit that his "client" (Vincent's sister) designed and wanted, but had nothing to do with him, fashion forward, no Robert "point of view", etc.

He's a friggin Barbie dress designer, and he did not "bring it".

That's why he got Auf'd.

Side note, Laura and Jeffrey actually get along somewhat, they both give each other $#!T, because they know that each other can take it, and dish it out as well as they can give it.

Enough for now.

CJW

Then here's two separate things:

#1 Apparently Jeffrey is REALLY nice in person (and according to a lot of people actually a really good, designer - Blue Heron;) )

and he is just putting on this whole "act" because he knows that it will get him more notice, and more attention. Think of previous reality shows where Richard Hatch from Survivor, and Omarosa from the Apprentice are among the highest paid guest speakers at events now. They have an entire career based on that.

I think that Jeffry has the most talent on the show and will be in the final three unless he screws up.

I may be the only Jeffry fan!

I think that Jeffry has the most talent on the show and will be in the final three unless he screws up.

I may be the only Jeffry fan!

Well.........

I don't hate Jeffrey like many others on this board do. People here have mentioned his "pin head" and his tatoo's, but then in other threads I see people write that others should not be judged by their looks. Funny how people like to make that work when it suits their POV! :D :D

I think he's a good designer, but I can't agree he has the most talent of all of them.

I know that his vitrolic ways are to get him air time - a la Amarossa - as Curt pointed out. When he worked w/ Angela's mother, he did try to please her with the color choices, but truly, his design was just ugly.

But the way he baited Angela in this week's episode was really awful and mean. Yes, she took the bait when she should have ignored him, but sometimes it's impossible for a person to do that.

I think he'd do well as a designer with his own company and a small clientele. He could never run a medium to large company - he would alienate his staff.

I think the editing has been done with alot of purposeful deception and that the illusion of Ulli as one of the finalists has taken a sharp downturn this week.

Michael is a definite finalist, we all know that.

I think Laura will be a finalist too.

The third finalist will be a wildcard.

That's my $.02 ;)

Ya know, Jane110, if his tatoos were anywhere else, they probably wouldn't bother me so much. I'm not a big fan of tatoos on anyone, but I suppose they're here to stay as a statement. To put them on ones neck, face (as I have seen), or to completely cover their arms just looks stupid to me.

It's just one of those things that is hard to get past, especially for those of us who are older and tatoos were once considered only something that the bad guys did. I'm really trying to get over it, but it's hard to not judge when it is so "in your face". I think since Jeffrey is so "in your face" with his attitude, too, it can be hard to seperate his appearance from his behavior.

I do wonder how big the tatoo removal business will become in the future. Maybe not within the next 10 years, but 20 years from now, when some of the 20-30 year olds get into their 50's and 60's. Only time will tell :rolleyes: .

Well.........

I think Laura will be a finalist too.

The third finalist will be a wildcard.

That's my $.02 ;)

I think Laura is definitely talented but I think she is too one dimensional. I love her style but haven't seen anything outside of her severe/conservative dresses.

Ya know, Jane110, if his tatoos were anywhere else, they probably wouldn't bother me so much. I'm not a big fan of tatoos on anyone, but I suppose they're here to stay as a statement. To put them on ones neck, face (as I have seen), or to completely cover their arms just looks stupid to me.

That neck tattoo bothers me, too. I can't imagine how it felt to get.

My son just got nixed for a job because a bit of his chest tattoo showed at his collar (I hate his tattoo, BTW, but it is usually invisible). The person hiring said it was a "devil mark.":D My son is a game designer for computer games -- not exactly a bastion of button-down types!

Jeffery does not get to me as much as others, he is from Los Angeles, so what he does and how he acts to me is just the stereotype for out here. He is not rebellious he is the norm. Just my opinion on him.

His tattoo no problem at least he does not have or has taken off the eyebrow rings, nose rings, lip rings and tongue rings.

I would like to see him go more outside the box. If he had gotten any overweight mother he would have dressed her in a sack like he did Angela's mom.

I do believe Angela and her mom did set him up, but I also understand the LA mindset. And I do think Angela probably was a butter would melt in her mouth back stabber. The lack of response when she left was telling. They were in tears when Robert left.

Jeffery does not get to me as much as others, he is from Los Angeles, so what he does and how he acts to me is just the stereotype for out here. He is not rebellious he is the norm.

I do believe Angela and her mom did set him up, but I also understand the LA mindset. And I do think Angela probably was a butter would melt in her mouth back stabber. The lack of response when she left was telling. They were in tears when Robert left.

I read all the time about LA and California being weird, or laid back. Then I see, read about everywhere else in the US. They're all just like everyone else.

While I do see a lot of young people with tattoos and piercings, I see more without.

There are plenty of rebellious people here, just like everywhere else.

What in the world is the LA mindset?

I think the people who live in California are pretty much just people, like everywhere else.

Have you seen the show, Supernova? Many of those people are not even from the US, let alone California.

Also, Bradley, Vincent, Robert, Stacey and Bonnie are also from CA (some from LA) and none of them have the tattoos or the mindset as Jeffrey. He stands alone.

Kathy,

Actually people in Southern California are pretty average. Instead of LA mindset I probably should have used famous Hollywood mindset. The young movie star or rock and roll type person. The Brat/Rat pack set.

I do have to respect my mom on body piercing. My sisters oldest whom came to us at age seven got her lip pierced. We were doing brunch, and mom asked the question. You ever worry about getting your fork stuck in that and pulling your lip off?

It's just one of those things that is hard to get past, especially for those of us who are older and tatoos were once considered only something that the bad guys did. I'm really trying to get over it, but it's hard to not judge when it is so "in your face". I think since Jeffrey is so "in your face" with his attitude, too, it can be hard to seperate his appearance from his behavior.

I do wonder how big the tatoo removal business will become in the future. Maybe not within the next 10 years, but 20 years from now, when some of the 20-30 year olds get into their 50's and 60's. Only time will tell :rolleyes: .

I agree, I hate hig, obvious tattoo's. But he's an ex-junkie and that was typical of that. He's cleaned himself up and created a profession for himself. He's come very far.

I also agree that the tatoo removal business will be a big on in the next 10-20 years! ;)

babakookie,

I had heard the procedure is better since it can now be done with lasar. Although still takes multiple procedues to do and is still painful. There is a local doctor here that opens his practice for two hours on Saturday and does it for free. I hear people line up early for it.

Well, FINALLY Vincent is gone! I cringed at the beginning of the show when he started talking about something turning him on, again! His dress was not well made, it was a boring color, and the design was horrible.

When I first saw the fabric Jeffrey chose, I cringed, but I really liked his dress and the way it flowed. He definitely deserved to win.

Uli's was nice, not spectacular but very nice.

Laura's dress was boring.

This definitely was not Michael's challenge but I liked the color of the dress. I definitely agreed with Michael Kors that when you tucked in those bumps at the top of the dress it looked much better.

I liked the skirt of Kane's dress, but the top was overdone. I did like the lacing at the back.

I felt sorry for Vincent. He obviously invested a lot in this show and it meant a lot to him, but his dress was definitely the worst of the six. He stayed in longer than he should have. Kayne will be the next to go. The judges have mentioned his "taste level" too many times. I thought his dress tonight was okay and not nearly as over the top as some of his other outfits.

I feel certain after today's challenge that Jeffrey will be in the final three. He is coming on strong now and the judges like him. You have to recognize his talent even if his style isn't to your liking. His yellow dress was his best creation and was by far the best of any of the dresses presented tonight.

The other finalists will be Michael and probably Uli. I keep wondering what Heidi means when she says that the importance of being a winner of a challenge will be revealed on a later show. Anyone know?

I loved that the challenge was to create a couture gown -- in two days! Those poor guys must be so exhausted, when you throw in the trip, the jet lag, and all the stress. I'm still not quite sure I get what the trip to Paris was all about, and I felt sorry for Laura last night -- I think the travel was pretty hard on her.

And I also felt bad for several of the designers because they had to completely re-fit their dresses due to the size differences between their French model and their American one. If it's a contest for the models too, couldn't they have flown them over as well? Some of the dresses did not travel too well, and that seemed unfair too.

I agree Jeffrey's dress was very good. (Someone, I think it was Richard Tyler, called it 'cute'?) I'm not a fashion editor, but to my eye there is something about his designs that -- like them or hate them -- screams that he's got an original talent. I don't know that he'll win though, because I'm not sure the point of the show is to pick the most original talent. I think Michael's got a better chance because he's so versatile (and also seems very easygoing). Uli seems like the perpetual runner up.

I agree Kayne should probably go next, but just from the way they were previewing Laura, I get the feeling that she may be auf'd next week.

I thought Jeffreys dress was an interesting mess. Very attention getting, but I didn't think he deserved to win. If it were in any other fabric, he would have been one of the bottom two, rather than Laura.

Ulis dress was stunning and I felt it deserved to win.

Michael surprised me and I was glad he made it to the next round, but he sure teetered!

Laura was exactly what the judges stated. It looked like something from the 60's. Although, her execution was great, I was a bit disappointed in her style this week. I thought she would really shine in this challenge.

Kaynes dress actually looked better to me than I thought it would. I didn't care for the asymetrical tie in back.

Vincent, buh-bye.

What a tough challenge it was! I've done plenty of hand sewing and beading, it takes hours upon hours. I think it was what kept Michael out of the bottom two, the fact that he really tried to meet the hand sewing of the challenge.

So, I hear the Olsen twins thing for nexxt week, too. I sure hope they get a pic of these girls smiling, for once. They look more like posters for what depression looks like rather than fashion models. I'm happy for anyones success and think it is great when they can do it with talent that can fit on the head of a pin.

It's definitely Kayne or Laura who is going next week, IMO.

Jeffrey's win was a slam-dunk because he had immunity and nothing to lose. He could afford to take wild chances. Using an everyday plaid in a big couture gown is a typical formula and the design, sewing and model runway attitude was what going to make it work. He was in, no matter what, so why not take a bold chance?

I don't like the way the show plays loosey-goosey with the immunity status. Some winners get it and some don't. Having immunity gives a designer a real shot to pull a wild card and test their fantasies without the possibility of getting thrown off. I think it's so unfair that the immunity rule changes on a whim.

I thought Ulli's dress was gorgeous. True couture. I'm sure many women would want that dress. I thought she would have been the winner.

Watching Laura make her dress in Paris, I just kept thinking that Yves St Laurent was being channeled. It looked "ok" on the blonde model, but Laura knows her NY model is a black woman. That's simply not the kind of dress a black woman with short hair can wear. It's definitely a dress for a blonde, IMHO. Then with the collar collapsing from the trip, only made it look like a clown collar. Whichever judge said she could hem it short and give the model a feather duster was, unfortunately, right on the money. This was a very difficult challange - doing couture in 2 days with jet lag on smaller models while being pregnant is an incredible strain.

Michael was dumb to even undertake what he did. He's never done couture before so he chooses to do something that would take a pro a week to do? Duh!!! Very poor decision! Had he not recently won two challanges he would have been auf'ed, IMO, because he made a really stupid decision from the start.

Kayne's dress had a gorgeous silhouette and the colors he chose were wonderful. The back was brilliant. I loved the asymetrical lace up - very chic and different - and I loved the two color chiffons cascading down the back. The way the top of the gown molded asymmetrically across the models chest was brilliant. His big mistake was "too much stuff" going on in the torso. Tim told him that, but he went with it anyway. Nina Garcia is right - he truly knows a woman's body and how to design things for it - but he needs to learn that "Less is More" sometimes and get away from the pageant look. But then, as I've said before, he'll never win Project Runway because he's not a clothing designer. But his gown business is going to soar after this show. He's got it made. I'm guessing his client list is already a mile long and he's going to be a very, very, very successful designer. I think he should expand into ice skating competition costumes. Don't be surprised if he designs for some of our competitors in the next Olympics. (that's how Vera Wang made her name)

So....what say the rest of you?

I guess of all the designers, the 2 that surprised me the most were Kayne and Michael. At first, I thought Kayne was a goner. But the finished product's style was beautiful. I loved the corset top and the fabric he chose for the skirt was beautiful. I really think that his "design" was the best! In real life, wouldn't a designer have a consultant to tell them it is over the top or to help with the fabric selection? I would hope so in his case.

Now what was Michael thinking. That dress was truly horrible, very poorly executed. Had he not done well in other competitions, that would have been it for him.

Final 4, at first I thought it was going to be Jeffry, Uli, Michael, Laura but now I am not too sure. Laura is having a hard time designing outside her comfort zone. I think her collection would be really boring, but Kayne's, now that would be one to see!

I still think that Michael could win. Why? Well from what I can see he is the only designer that can honestly critique his own work. He knew his gown was bad, everyone else thought that theirs was the best, even Vincent, poor thing. Someone needs to tell Vincent that he needs a new tag line. I cringed everytime he said something "turned him on". Creepy very creepy!

Just my brief opinions on the gowns...no commentary on the designers..yet

Vincent...bad style and color...unflattering

Laura...boring boring dress. Hated the long sleeves

Kayne....I really loved the color and the way it moved...the bodice could've been 'hiked' up a bit!

Jeffery...would have been voted worst dress on the red carpet shows

Ulli....classy dress

Michael....better after the 'rabbit ears' were put in their place! Great color.

I love, love, love this show! Can't wait for Top Chef to start back up either! Maybe they could create a meal for a cruise menu?!? (trying to keep in the cruise mode):D