Project Runway?

BlueHerons

mrsred, I soo agree about this week's episode.

Mike: I LOVED HIS OUTFIT!! Could I wear it? Absolutely not. But it was well made, well fitted, and really fit his icon. I did love the color though.

I was surprised by how tasteful Angela's was - although I didn't like the fleur (or whatever she called it) at the waist.

Laura's was once again classy and elegant, exactly like her icon. But her stuff is really starting to look the same to me. But you know, her stuff is always well made and well thought out, which can't be said of some of the other designers.

I thought Ule's dress is beautiful, and I loved the print she uses. I do have to wonder though if she, like Laura, isn't starting to do the same thing over and over, and I'm afraid that it will catch up to her. I hope both of them start changing things up.

Kane's dress hit me the wrong way. I know the judges loved it, and I can see where his vision was going. I don't know what it was but it just seemed like certain areas were off to me.

Jeffrey really is starting to annoy me. His attitude is that he is better than everyone else. But then, he doesn't take it to the top with his outfits. This challenge was one where he could've really excelled. He had the opportunity to really rock it out with Madonna but then I felt like I had seen his outfit before. It was good, but not really the popping out style of Madonna brought forward. I get the impression that he could do so much more with his outfits and he's not.

Poor Robert. His first couple of outfits were beautiful and I loved them. And then the last two have been BORING!

Please make Vincent go away! His dress was Twiggy made worse - not better. There was nothing modern or fashion forward about that dress.

Bradley's looked like a home-ec project. Or the top from a really bad 70s sci-fi flick.

Here's the official 411 from MSNBC http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13578140/?pg=2#anc_ProjectRunway_CHART

But the lowdown:

The models got to choose their designers, not the usual other way around.

No immunity granted this week. Winner had his outfit photographed on his model as an ad for Tresemme that will run in Elle.

The challenge take a fashion icon and modernize her. Laura - Katherine Hepburn, Angela - Audrey Hepburn, Vincent - Twiggy, Jeffrey - Madonna, Allison - Farrah Fawcet, Bradley - Cher, Kane - Marilyn Monroe, Robert -Jackie O, Michael - Pam Grier, Ule - Diana Ross.

Angela and Jeffrey got in a fight in the sewing room and then Laura stuck her nose in it (I didn't see the whole fight as I got a phone call at that point).

Top 3:

Michael (won), Angela, and Kane

Bottom 3:

Vincent, Robert, and Bradley (auf weidersehen!)

I found it hard to believe that any "designer" was not familiar with Bob Mackie's "costumes" for Cher. That thing Bradley designed looked like something a 4-year old would make from construction paper. Very sad, indeed. He deserved to be ousted and he knew it. ;)

.... Bradley (auf weidersehen!)

Hey Ladies (and any guys reading)!

First of all, please vote in my poll inspired by last night, link here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=394994

That being said...

Uhmmm...

So, Keith gets kicked off the show for smuggling "pattern books".:confused:

Apparently, from my take on Bradley's various "confessionals" (that's the "technical" term for any of those shots where the designer is just sitting there by themselves talking about their comments and feelings on what is transpiring or has transpired on the show)...

Smuggling doobies or joints on the show, before your confessionals apparently is a-okay?!?!:eek:

Bradley was apparently at a Grateful Dead or Phish concert, and therefore missed all things Cher.

Purple Haze indeed!

CJW

I didn't watch the first two season's of the show, but now DH and I are into the third season.

I haven't particpated in this thread because honestly, I can't keep most of the names straight. I know them by their outfits, but most of them, not their names.

The one I was really so sorry about leaving was Milan. He is extremely talented and that one brown dress just didn't "do it". Too bad he was thrown off.

I was thrilled that Angelina won with her INC design last week and she probably would have won with her Audrey Hepburn dress this week except they probably don't want to give it to a designer 2 weeks in a row.

That Audrey Hepburn style dress was a stunner - even Klum said she wanted to own it a a few colors.

The Cher outfit was just awful and the guy who created it (don't recall his name) should have been dismissed long ago. He can't meet deadlines, which is a disaster in the clothing biz, his workmanship is poor and his designs are lackluster.

Uli is a very strong designer. She has a strong POV, excellent sewing skills and an easy personality. Whether she wins or not, I'm sure she'll be offered jobs by many companies - as will other of the competitors.

I can't stand Heidi Klum's attitude. I feel sorry for those who are kicked off the show and forced to give her a kiss good-bye. How demeaning. Who wants to kiss someone that just gave you the heave-ho?

BTW, the building they all are housed in, The Atlas, is 3 blocks from where I live ( 3 blocks is a big difference in NYC) and I pass it all the time. It's a new building and they had trouble renting out the apartments because it's such an inconvenent location. So giving apts to the Project Runway show is a good marketing idea. I'll bet rentals are up now!

I can't stand Heidi Klum's attitude. I feel sorry for those who are kicked off the show and forced to give her a kiss good-bye. How demeaning. Who wants to kiss someone that just gave you the heave-ho?

Just thought that was an excellent point.

The entire time she has rubbed me the wrong way and that is probably why!

:rolleyes:

Hi, I have been watching the show too...though I rarely post on

here anymore.

Hi Jane, Cher's person was Bradley.

Nliedel, Hi, I agree....I am no fashion maven by any means but I

do know Bob Mackie, actually I know a few designers:rolleyes: geee...

As for the Poll about who we are...in reference to the Icons...

I cannot vote as I don't feel as if I relate to any of them.

I enjoy the program though and I am glad Michael won.

I think his pink number relating to Pam Greir was right on the mark.

(That is just my opinion).

Hi, I have been watching the show too...though I rarely post on here anymore.

I know and I miss you!:(

Hi Jane, Cher's person was Bradley.

Nliedel, Hi, I agree....I am no fashion maven by any means but I

do know Bob Mackie, actually I know a few designers:rolleyes: geee...

Was there someone on the show that didn't know who Bob Mackie is?

I enjoy the program though and I am glad Michael won.

I think his pink number relating to Pam Greir was right on the mark.

(That is just my opinion).

Michael definitely deserved to win. It absolutely captured the Pam Grier spirit with an updated, modern look. And that he switched from a skirt to well fitting shorts at the 11th hour is also amazing (though the judges didn't know that) I woudln't wear the shorts but I'd wear that top in a NY second!

I didn't watch the first two season's of the show, but now DH and I are into the third season.

Jane110, you have to try to catch the reruns of the first two seasons...

You will go insane in the BEST way! You'll love it!

I haven't particpated in this thread because honestly, I can't keep most of the names straight. I know them by their outfits, but most of them, not their names.

Such a fashionista! All about the outfits!:p

The one I was really so sorry about leaving was Milan. He is extremely talented and that one brown dress just didn't "do it". Too bad he was thrown off.

The whole thing is that, they are deciding on good designers, but also who is good TV. And that particular week, Milan just went so off track.

I think that they should have dumped Catherine that week, but it was not her design, and she kept telling Milan, "it's too big, too much rousching (sp?)", so they couldn't dump her on both of those points.

And it comes down to very talented designers can be "Auf'd" if in that timing they have one bad week.

I was thrilled that Angelina won with her INC design last week and she probably would have won with her Audrey Hepburn dress this week except they probably don't want to give it to a designer 2 weeks in a row.

Yep, but I think a MAJOR reason that she won last week, is because Michael and Laura "reigned her in", as far as she wanted to put those florests ALL over the outfit, and they talked her into just using them for buttons and on the back of the neck. I think that entire win for her last week, was based on Michael and Laura's influence....

That Audrey Hepburn style dress was a stunner - even Klum said she wanted to own it a a few colors.

I totally agree, and I think (which is smart for her) that Angela, took in the influence from Michael and Laura from last week. She could have gone back to her "wickety-wack" (quote from Nick from Season Two, who I think you would have probably loved) from before, but she didn't. Which I think is a good sign for her, that she is open to learn and change, but at the same token, she learned and changed from working with Michael and Laura. And at this point, they will not give someone two wins in a row, if other people are "close", the only way that people earn two wins in a row, is if it is SO above and beyond everybody else, that they HAVE to give it to them.

The Cher outfit was just awful and the guy who created it (don't recall his name) should have been dismissed long ago. He can't meet deadlines, which is a disaster in the clothing biz, his workmanship is poor and his designs are lackluster.

Bradley, at 32 years old, doesn't know Cher?!?! She would never wear that outfit in a million years, and I can't even think of who would.

He lucked through putting a few "unintentional" strong outfits before, where other people were "boring"...

Uli is a very strong designer. She has a strong POV, excellent sewing skills and an easy personality. Whether she wins or not, I'm sure she'll be offered jobs by many companies - as will other of the competitors.

That is what is really great about this show, as opposed to a lot of other reality shows...

People get to see their work and personality regardless...

The good ones get jobs and get hired.

The top 4 from the first season are all working and "hired" and doing well.

The top 5 from the second season are all working and "hired" and doing well.

I actually expect from this season that the top 6 to 7 will be working and/or hired after this.

One of the reasons that I like this show so much, is that the contestants actually get the "highest rate of return" from being on the show, and it's actually leading to positive movement and benefits for their life and work.:D

Aww. It's much nicer and more repectful than how they handle it on most reality shows. European air kisses from Heidi, and actually super respect from Tim Gunn?!?!

BTW, the building they all are housed in, The Atlas, is 3 blocks from where I live ( 3 blocks is a big difference in NYC) and I pass it all the time. It's a new building and they had trouble renting out the apartments because it's such an inconvenent location. So giving apts to the Project Runway show is a good marketing idea. I'll bet rentals are up now!

Product placement! Product placement!

Is it 3 north to south blocks?

Or 3 east to west blocks?

And you're correct, it's all about free PR, and any attention that they can get.

CJW

.....for the kind words.:)

I sometimes miss the people but just don't feel the urge

to post.

Nothing to add the discussions...thanks again and I hope

you and hubby are both doing well.:)

Lois you are MISSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did anyone listen to Tim Gunn's podcast? He was hysterical, always is. "I make it a habit not to speculate about the designers sexual orientation, but I did think Bradley might be gay. How does a gay man not know who Cher is?" That's a paraphrase and not an exact quote. I know it's a sterotype, but I wondered the same thing.

Who will the final three be?

I love Micheal, Uli, Laura and Kayne. I hope Robert gets it together. Maybe he is having a problem cause no one in real life is built like Barbie.

Jane110, you have to try to catch the reruns of the first two seasons...

You will go insane in the BEST way! You'll love it!

My TiVo is capturing them all and I do watch them randomly, but in no particular order. I just don't have time to watch them all.

Such a fashionista! All about the outfits!:p

I can't say I'm a fashionista, but more a visual person. (years and years of art training. I'm trained to "see"). So for example, if I go to a party and afterwards someone says to me, remember "Mary...or Tom, or Linda, etc", I'll not remember the name, but tell me "the person who had the orange shoe laces" or the "the one wearing the blue skirt and purple boots" and I'll remember exactly.

I think that they should have dumped Catherine that week, but it was not her design, and she kept telling Milan, "it's too big, too much rousching (sp?)", so they couldn't dump her on both of those points.

And it comes down to very talented designers can be "Auf'd" if in that timing they have one bad week.

Was Catherine his assistant on that project? If so, then it can't be blamed on her. He was the team leader and she followed direction. The rouching destroyed that particular dress.

Yep, but I think a MAJOR reason that she won last week, is because Michael and Laura "reigned her in", as far as she wanted to put those florests ALL over the outfit, and they talked her into just using them for buttons and on the back of the neck. I think that entire win for her last week, was based on Michael and Laura's influence....

Yes, and that's the purpose of teamwork. ALL designers work in a team. They work with assistant designers and then they also work with merchandisers and then they work with the salespeople, who get feedback from the retailers. Even the big-star independant designers who seem to "answer to no one" like Zac Posen, can't have a "my way or the highway" attitude unless they're 100% self funding, which almost no one is.

I totally agree, and I think (which is smart for her) that Angela, took in the influence from Michael and Laura from last week. She could have gone back to her "wickety-wack" (quote from Nick from Season Two, who I think you would have probably loved) from before, but she didn't. Which I think is a good sign for her, that she is open to learn and change, but at the same token, she learned and changed from working with Michael and Laura.

Exactly! Angela has now learned she cannot do "Betsy Johnson" like creations and succeed on this show. (though Betsey Johnson has lasted more than 30 years and has built a multi-million dollar empire on her whackiness). Angela has shown she has great design ideas, understands fabric,is detail oriented, is a genius at fabric manipulation and can take direction. Her INC garment is exactly what Macy's wanted and her Ode to Audrey Hepburn was right on the mark with a feeling for today's look. All this from a designer that really can't sketch. That's quite a talent.

Bradley, at 32 years old, doesn't know Cher?!?! She would never wear that outfit in a million years, and I can't even think of who would.

He lucked through putting a few "unintentional" strong outfits before, where other people were "boring"...

I agree. He should have been gone weeks ago. I wish he and Milan were exchanged. I miss Milan.

People get to see their work and personality regardless...

The good ones get jobs and get hired.

The top 4 from the first season are all working and "hired" and doing well.

The top 5 from the second season are all working and "hired" and doing well.

I actually expect from this season that the top 6 to 7 will be working and/or hired after this.

One of the reasons that I like this show so much, is that the contestants actually get the "highest rate of return" from being on the show, and it's actually leading to positive movement and benefits for their life and work.:D

I totally agree. Honestly, the winnings on this show aren't great. $100,000. to start their own company? That's a drop in the bucket. And as a designer for a line, they'll get a starting salary worth more than that.

And a car??? Who needs/wants a car in NYC? My guess is that the winner will sell the car and keep the cash!

They're all winners because everyone on 7th Ave is watching and they'll get calls for jobs.

super[/i] respect from Tim Gunn?!?!

Okay, an air kiss is better than a "get lost!" But it's still a comprmising position to be in. Yes, Tim is the glue that holds that show together. He's fantastic. Michael Kors isn't having as much imput as I had hoped.

Is it 3 north to south blocks?

Or 3 east to west blocks?

It's 3 blocks to the west, and if you know NYC, one avenue block is equal to 3 street blocks. So it's 3 avenue blocks from me, which is far if you need to go out for a quart of milk. It's right near 5th Ave in the 30's which is a terrible place for a residential building. There are no services around - no grocery stores, dry cleaners, shoe-makers, etc. The restaurants cater to a business crowd and so are closed at night. I wouldn't live there.

But it's perfect for this show because they're only 2 blocks from Parsons which is on 40th Street and 7th Ave and near all the fabric and trim/ribbon/button shops on 36/37/38th Streets between 5th and 6th Ave's.

Good morning....so Michael won again:) ;)

I thought Jeffrey was going to win this time...thought

they were going to have a different person each week.

I thought all of them were going to faint when they

realized it was a recycle warehouse LOL

Well, I'm a little surprised they gave it to Michael again this week -- but his design was great. He seems like a genuinely smart, nice, talented person (or is that because of good editing??) I would've been happy to see Jeffrey win.

Laura's designs I love, but as for her personality, not so much. She's either very blunt or just likes to stir things up. Ulli's designs are great too. I'm not sure if you could see the detailing on her dress as much from the runway as you could close-up, but I thought it was amazing what she did with the materials at hand.

Kayne is hi-larious, but methinks he should perhaps go back to designing pageant dresses. And wasn't Tim Gunn funny with his comments on Kayne's effort (e.g., "It looks like a high school craft project.")

I wait for Tim Gunn's podcast to come out. Hide in the bedroom and have a cocktail on Thursday nights. It's a great source of pleasure for me. My husaband watches the boys. It's a delight. Tim's just so wonderfully smart and snarky without being mean.

my husband thinks I am obsessed with reality TV (which I am but is that really bad). Did you all know that the actual dresses are up for auction after the show. I am amazed at how much they are going for especially the really horrid ones. Angela's dress went for $1455.00. That one we will definitely see in Macy's!

Allison's design last night made the model look like a plus sized model, then when you read the description, it says 0-2 size 5-10 to 6-2 and I was amazed.

Really, I thought Vincent should have been gone, that dress following the Twiggy mess of a dress! I think the producers are waiting for Vincent and Laura to have a big blow-out! Allison just did not bring enough drama to the show.

TiVo forgot to capture last night's show, while we were out so it'll get it tonight or tomorrow during a middle-of-the-night showing somewhere.

(DH claims innocence at the thought that maybe it was his fault and not Mr TiVo's! :rolleyes: )

Can't wait to see it. DH and I are addicted and we generally hate reality TV shows.

I agree it should have been Kayne or Vincent. I think Kayne's was the worst this week, but Vincent is obnoxious. I like Kayne, so I'm glad he stayed, but he didn't deserve to over Allison.

Jeffrey's dress was amazing, very artisitic and intricate. Angela is intriguing, she seems pathetic and then she does something not too bad. Her dress was attractive and not horrible.

Allison is a delight. I hope she'll stay in fashion. She has a dreamlike quality to her and so do her designs, modern but dreamy. She's one to watch. This week was just not her week, obviously. I'm sad.

Just thought that was an excellent point.

The entire time she has rubbed me the wrong way and that is probably why!

:rolleyes:

Heidi Klum's laugh on the Bravo Emmy promo fits her perfectly - it seems mocking, hard and as if she wanted to draw attention to herself. It reminds me of the stereotypical popular girl attitude in high school. Yuch! No doubt Heidi is a physically lovely woman, but in her role on PR she does not seem genuine or kind, better yet, compassionate. Maybe it's all an act, but I wouldn't mind closing the curtain on some of it.