Galveston Expansion

Let’s perpetuate the idea that Galveston is awful and the lines are long and the hotels are too expensive and the traffic is horrible and the iteneraries are boring and the ships are small and bla bla bla. That way maybe someday a ship won’t be full. Ok not really but hey, one can wish. Haters gonna hate. Texas born, Texas bred, Texas til the day I’m dead.

I love Galveston as a port! I would love to have some new itineraries, though. I would think those would have to change if they brought in Oasis class due to the inability to tender. Grand Cayman & Belize would pose a problem.

Oh gosh, this is music to my ears. We had so much fun on the Liberty of the Seas, I would LOVE to get to experience a big RC ship without flying to Florida. Galveston works for us because we live in Texas and it is so easy for us to cruise from there that we are going on another Carnival cruise which we said we would never do. I can't imagine flying here and going on a cruise if I lived somewhere else but for us Texans and surrounding states without a port, it's a great option. Fingers crossed this really happens!

So funny to think that Liberty is a small ship ;-).

It seems to be OK if you drive there, but not so much for those that fly in.

Yours is an opinion not fact. You want facts? Here you go...

1. Galveston hotel pricing too high? Check pricing for Feb 14th hotel pricing in Miami.

2. Infrastructure can't handle Galveston? Try Bar celona. Traffic was a disaster as there were 7 ships in port unloadinig & reloading. Taxi dropped us off 1.7 miles away as did other taxis. I dragged our luggage across that long bridge.

3. Lack of rental car agencies? Use Lyft, Uber, or Galveston Cruise Shuttle. It'll be cheaper even from IAH.

4. Two night hotel minimum? Most every port will have these periodically throughout the year. Especially at spring break. But I digress. You can book one night stays in Galveston. Don't believe me? Call the hotels. Hilton has a king room available for this Sat. 4/15, (1 night stay). Call them.

Enough facts. My point is... every port has issues at times. But please DO NOT let somone tell you wrong. Galveston is indeed cruiser friendly. I just wished they had a larger selection of itineraries.

Would love to see one of the larger ships here in Galveston.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In the works. Negotiations in process for third terminal and possibly fourth in future years. Restructuring of port areas with cruise ships on east end and commercial docks west. Funding and contract negotiations in process. This from a meeting with Mayor and some City Council members today.

So funny to think that Liberty is a small ship ;-).

Ha, well it certainly wasn't mammoth like some of them are. But yeah, I guess I really meant I want a different ship. One I haven't been on before. We are going on Vista in 2019 and that will be my first "big" ship. I just would love to see a different RC ship and even better, a different itinerary.

We stay in Texas City for a night before the cruise and it works for us. It's just a short drive to the port in the morning. I would love to stay in the Strand and will if they ever get rid of the 2-night minimum.

Ha, well it certainly wasn't mammoth like some of them are. But yeah, I guess I really meant I want a different ship. One I haven't been on before. We are going on Vista in 2019 and that will be my first "big" ship. I just would love to see a different RC ship and even better, a different itinerary.

We stay in Texas City for a night before the cruise and it works for us. It's just a short drive to the port in the morning. I would love to stay in the Strand and will if they ever get rid of the 2-night minimum.

I remember when Freedom Class (which Liberty is) first came out. Oh my, all the hoopla! Two flow riders! Cantilevered hot tubs! Biggest ship in the world! Such a frenzy of promotional ads and videos. :D

So of course we had to sail on Freedom asap! ;) And we weren't disappointed; lots of fun. I even climbed the rock wall (was much younger then, haha).

We've sailed out of Galveston often, as it isn't a far drive from home. Nice to hear that she may get more terminals and an Oasis class ship, yay.

We almost always go the night before, and have never had a major issue with the 2-night minimum if we shopped around. (Try hotels dot com maybe? Or someone suggested calling the hotel direct.) But then, we don't cruise over spring break, so that may have made it easier.

Have stayed at a variety of Galveston hotels over the years: Hilton, San Luis, Harbor House, and many of the budget motels. Always one night. We have a one-night rez for this weekend at Tremont House, downtown near the Strand.

For sure agree about different itineraries! Years ago, Celebrity had a ship out of Galveston that did partial Panama Canal trips, 10-11 days. We sailed on her last one. Really wish we had something like that again out of Galveston.

Best,

Jan

I remember when Freedom Class (which Liberty is) first came out. Oh my, all the hoopla! Two flow riders! Cantilevered hot tubs! Biggest ship in the world! Such a frenzy of promotional ads and videos. :D

So of course we had to sail on Freedom asap! ;) And we weren't disappointed; lots of fun. I even climbed the rock wall (was much younger then, haha).

We've sailed out of Galveston often, as it isn't a far drive from home. Nice to hear that she may get more terminals and an Oasis class ship, yay.

We almost always go the night before, and have never had a major issue with the 2-night minimum if we shopped around. (Try hotels dot com maybe? Or someone suggested calling the hotel direct.) But then, we don't cruise over spring break, so that may have made it easier.

Have stayed at a variety of Galveston hotels over the years: Hilton, San Luis, Harbor House, and many of the budget motels. Always one night. We have a one-night rez for this weekend at Tremont House, downtown near the Strand.

For sure agree about different itineraries! Years ago, Celebrity had a ship out of Galveston that did partial Panama Canal trips, 10-11 days. We sailed on her last one. Really wish we had something like that again out of Galveston.

Best,

Jan

Hmmm maybe the time of year is the problem with the hotels. We will be sure to look again for next April.

Yours is an opinion not fact. You want facts? Here you go...

1. Galveston hotel pricing too high? Check pricing for Feb 14th hotel pricing in Miami.

2. Infrastructure can't handle Galveston? Try Bar celona. Traffic was a disaster as there were 7 ships in port unloadinig & reloading. Taxi dropped us off 1.7 miles away as did other taxis. I dragged our luggage across that long bridge.

3. Lack of rental car agencies? Use Lyft, Uber, or Galveston Cruise Shuttle. It'll be cheaper even from IAH.

4. Two night hotel minimum? Most every port will have these periodically throughout the year. Especially at spring break. But I digress. You can book one night stays in Galveston. Don't believe me? Call the hotels. Hilton has a king room available for this Sat. 4/15, (1 night stay). Call them.

Enough facts. My point is... every port has issues at times. But please DO NOT let somone tell you wrong. Galveston is indeed cruiser friendly. I just wished they had a larger selection of itineraries.

It is my opinion, but it seems as though it's shared by a lot of other people also, including some that are able to drive to the port. And you didn't even mention the itineraries, the fog, or the liquor laws, which are other sources of complaint.

Of course you can find single instances things being worse at other ports, like hotel pricing in Miami, congestion in Barcelona, etc. Nobody claimed that Galveston is the worst of every port in every way. But there seems to be a lot of people that feel that it has enough overall problems that they would rather cruise from other ports. That much is fact.

It is my opinion, but it seems as though it's shared by a lot of other people also, including some that are able to drive to the port. And you didn't even mention the itineraries, the fog, or the liquor laws, which are other sources of complaint.

Of course you can find single instances things being worse at other ports, like hotel pricing in Miami, congestion in Barcelona, etc. Nobody claimed that Galveston is the worst of every port in every way. But there seems to be a lot of people that feel that it has enough overall problems that they would rather cruise from other ports. That much is fact.

Yet the ships sail FULL!!