Couple of newbie questions....

northerngirls

We are going on our first Oceania cruise May 6-22, Panama Canal on Regatta. I have a couple of questions

Firstly I know the topic of dress is beaten to death on these boards but I still have a concern. I get country club casual....but I noticed it says no sandals in the grand dining room. Do you really have to wear closed toe shoes? I’m not talking beach flip flops...but comfortable sandals. Along the lines of Birkenstocks that aren’t 20 years old.

Also...how do I find out if there is a guest lecturer on our specific cruise? Or are they on all of them? Or only portions of the cruise?

Thank you in advance for input...these boards have been a wealth of information for me

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Really means no flip flops. Hopefully our weather will be quite warm, more casual than you envision See you in Miami..

I expect to have a least 1 lecturer, maybe more. There will definately be naration thru the canal.

Edited by sitraveler
spellling

Really means no flip flops. Hopefully our weather will be quite warm, more casual than you envision See you in Miami..

I expect to have a least 1 lecturer, maybe more. There will definately be naration thru the canal.

We are at the tail end of a two day blizzard so warm is going to be welcomed!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just got off Regatta in Hawaii at the end of March. Men in sandels were routinely asked to change before dinning in the Grand Dinning Room. Women wore open toed dress sandles all the time, without issue.

I just got off Regatta in Hawaii at the end of March. Men in sandels were routinely asked to change before dinning in the Grand Dinning Room. Women wore open toed dress sandles all the time, without issue.

I always wonder how people know this type of information?

Were you seated near the hostess stand and could observe this?

Birks are not dress sandals ok for daytime but not for the dining venues other than the Terrace

There are different styles of Birks, some slightly less casual than others. I've worn black leather Birks in the MDR several times with no problem. Knowing that my feet are on the casual side, I probably make sure the rest of me is on the dressier side of country club casual. I have foot problems and some Birks allow me to walk comfortably.

There are different styles of Birks, some slightly less casual than others. I've worn black leather Birks in the MDR several times with no problem. Knowing that my feet are on the casual side, I probably make sure the rest of me is on the dressier side of country club casual. I have foot problems and some Birks allow me to walk comfortably.

Thank you! You and I are on exactly the same wavelength...yes Birks are almost a necessity for my feet but they are new and nice. And the rest of me will be dressed appropriately!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

DH has leather Birks slip ons he wears

they are like a dress shoe

This is what I think of as sandals

http://www.birkenstock.com/us/sandals/women/two-strap/

I guess if you get away wearing your Birks it is ok then

This is what I think of as sandals

http://www.birkenstock.com/us/sandals/women/two-strap/

This is probably TMI about Birk's, but yes, those are sandals, but to me, some are dressier. Granted, they may all be casual to some. Some are patent, some have back straps. I consider my black leather with 3 thin straps to look dressy enough, but wouldn't wear my tan suede Arizona's to the MDR, as they look too casual and clunky on me.

Actually waiting in the coffee bar which is at the entrance to the Grand Dining Room. But one of the men on our trivia team also relayed the fact that he was asked to change into more appropriate footwear. I would not count on Birks as being adequate.....

I have had 18 cruises with Oceania and never had a problem with my Birks, they are gold and a bit dressier but good for evening and daytime walking and a must for comfort. A nice outfit works well with them.

I have only seen men turned away at GD wearing shorts--that's a no no for dinner. Observed this about 4 times or so while waiting to go in, but you can go and change or eat at the buffet instead.

Brunch (usually held once per trip) in GD is more casual if they have one and people wore just about anything. Common sense prevails. Please no ball game hats at meals I feel that is tacky.

Enjoy and do not worry about the details:D:Dclear.png?emoji-grin-1677

I have had 18 cruises with Oceania and never had a problem with my Birks, they are gold and a bit dressier but good for evening and daytime walking and a must for comfort. A nice outfit works well with them.

I have only seen men turned away at GD wearing shorts--that's a no no for dinner. Observed this about 4 times or so while waiting to go in, but you can go and change or eat at the buffet instead.

Brunch (usually held once per trip) in GD is more casual if they have one and people wore just about anything. Common sense prevails. Please no ball game hats at meals I feel that is tacky.

Enjoy and do not worry about the details:D:Dclear.png?emoji-grin-1677

While I basically feel the same as you I also feel that others can't push their bias when it's against Oceania's stated policy. That's a slippery slope.

Is there a dress code?

Recommended onboard clothing is resort or country club casual. For evening dining, elegant casual resort wear is suggested. We request that casual jeans, shorts, t-shirts, baseball caps, or tennis shoes not be worn in the restaurants after 6 PM. Baseball caps may be worn in the Terrace Café after 6 PM.

Having posted that I would never wear a ball cap(or any other hat) at any meal, well maybe at a picnic outdoors.

>. Baseball caps may be worn in the Terrace Café after 6 PM.

One more example of the general lessening of standards

Ira

To play the devil’s advocate - what if it is a beautiful sunny day and you wish to have lunch on the open deck but have no hair to protect your head (and no spaces in shaded areas)?

Should you be forced to dine inside or can you protect yourself and enjoy the sun?

To play the devil’s advocate - what if it is a beautiful sunny day and you wish to have lunch on the open deck but have no hair to protect your head (and no spaces in shaded areas)?

Should you be forced to dine inside or can you protect yourself and enjoy the sun?

I am sure you can & should wear a hat when sitting on the aft deck especially in the sun

I am sure not many would complain in those circumstances

I was taught that a gentleman did not wear a hat indoors. Outside, on the Terrace, is not indoors.

Here is my thought on dress codes. If you don't want to follow the dress code of a particular cruise line, find a cruise line that fits into your dress. It's as simple as that.

Agree, that’s all that needs to be said.

• 4 weeks later...

We got on the Regatta in Hawaii. Thanks for the norovirus! J/k. Our leg to Miami had jeans on men and women in the MDR at dinner. However I saw regular sandals and shoes.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Forums mobile app